Windows 10: MS Print to PDF not working

Discus and support MS Print to PDF not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As near as I can tell, this worked BEFORE the latest Windows update. In Outlook, when I attempt to use the Print to PDF as a print destination, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GracieAllen, Dec 25, 2017.

1. MS Print to PDF not working

As near as I can tell, this worked BEFORE the latest Windows update.

In Outlook, when I attempt to use the Print to PDF as a print destination, I get an error
    "Printer not ready".

Research showed a couple possibilities, so here's what I've done SO FAR:

• Made Print to PDF the default printer (claimed to fix the problem. Didn't work)
    • I tried using Outlook in safe mode (Outlook /safe) and received exactly the same error as is "regular" mode.Turned off print to pdf in the windows features and rebooted, then turned back on print to pdf in the windows features. (claimed to fix the problem. Didn't work)
    • There are NO commas or any other odd characters in the location to which I'm saving. Tried multiple destinations with no luck. Didn't work.
    • Reinstalled Acrobat Reader. Works fine, PDFs open perfectly. Did NOT fix the "Print to PDF".
    • When doing a "Print to PDF" from Word, I do not get an ERROR, but no output is created. Same exact thing when trying from a text editor.
    • I have deleted and reinstalled the "Microsoft Print to PDF". This CREATES the printer, and allows me to print a test page as part of the installation. I don't get an error, but NO OUTPUT IS GENERATED. Trying to print a test page using print to PDF once the installation is complete (from printer properties, generates an error that says a "parameter is incorrect". No other information is provided.

AGAIN, this has been working absolutely fine since the original installation of Windows 10, using exactly the same versions of Outlook, Word, text editors, etc. As near a I can tell, this has only STOPPED working since the newest "creators update" a week or so ago...

What do now?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 25, 2017

2. Unable to Print to PDF

In addition "Microsoft Print to PDF" does not work in IE or MS Word. In IE the Print button is grayed out when I select Print to PDF as the printer.

EquianoHolman, Dec 25, 2017
  3. MS Print to PDF Not Working

Upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago. No problem printing to pdf until yesterday, apparently after MS pushed an Office update to my laptop. When I hit "Print to PDF," it takes me to a hard drive location of my choosing. I then name the document and
    hit "Save." On the bottom of the screen, there's an indication that the document has printed to pdf. Even after a system-wide search, however, I cannot find the document in pdf form, only in its original MS Word form. I have tried Removing and Reinstalling
    the driver numerous times, including after a system reboot. Nothing but error messages when I try to Print a Test Page, and no pdf documents anywhere on the laptop. Help!!

SmittyWalder, Dec 25, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

MS Print to PDF not working

Print to PDF is a OS level thing, it has nothing to do with Outlook or Word or any other program you may (or not) have installed.

Try creating a test document in Notepad and pressing Ctrl+P

MS Print to PDF not working [​IMG]

Does that work for you?

5. spunk Win User
    Go to Settings > Devices click Add a printer or scanner. Wait for 'The printer that I want isn't listed' to appear and select that. Select bottom option 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings'. Use an existing port, 'PORTPROMPT*SadLocal Port)' bottom on the list. In the left scroll down and select Microsoft, then in right scroll down and select Microsoft Print To PDF. Use the driver that is currently installed, click next until done. That should recreate it if needed

spunk, Dec 26, 2017
  6. Yes, Notepad can create a file when using ctrl/p. Word, however, does not. No error, just no file. Outlook, on the other hand, still throws the same "printer not ready" error even when using ctrl/p.

Which is nice, but how do I get everything ELSE that WAS working (Outlook, Word, etc) working?

As for re-installing the device... Yes, as the last entry in the "things I've ALREADY done" says:

I have deleted and reinstalled the "Microsoft Print to PDF". This CREATES the printer, and allows me to print a test page as part of the installation. I don't get an error, but NO OUTPUT IS GENERATED. Trying to print a test page using print to PDF once the installation is complete (from printer properties, generates an error that says a "parameter is incorrect". No other information is provided.

GracieAllen, Dec 26, 2017
  7. Just install CutePDFWriter. It's lightweight, free and it works. (It'll appear as another printer option.) Come back to battle Windows another day for a different bug! *Wink

ComputerGeek, Dec 26, 2017
  8. MS Print to PDF not working

I second the CutePDF option. It works very well and I use it all the time.

play2mefish, Dec 26, 2017
  9. Cool... Since I've got to get some "receipts" out of Outlook to PDFs (otherwise, the domestic associate and accountant is going to strangle me!), I'll try cutepdfwriter! Who'd'a thunk she'd get so excited about a couple dozen receipts!

GracieAllen, Dec 26, 2017
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Check Print to PDF device properties. Mine are as follows:

See if that's how your are set.

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2017
  11. Yes, same settings... CutePDF works, stuff is done, Windows Write to PDF is totally screwed and since I have a workaround it's not worth wasting any more time or effort trying to get it fixed...

GracieAllen, Dec 27, 2017
  12. Bhrayan23 Win User
    Yeah another bug from a recent update*Smile Aside from CutePDF you can also try LightPDF which is a workable PDF program as well.

Bhrayan23, Mar 19, 2018
  13. RickC Win User

I know it's a while ago but I did a test of several 'save as/print to PDF' utilities using the same test document in MS Word.

MS' implementation of PDF as an output format was the second most bloated.

I could see no discernible difference in quality so was at a bit of a loss why the file sizes were so different.

Anyway, as a result of this, I now use Foxit Reader's pseudo-print driver to create PDF's.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 19, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    That's an interesting comparison. Out of interest, why did you pick Foxit rather than (the smaller) Primo? Is it better in some way?

15. RickC Win User
    Unfortunately it was so long ago I cannot remember what decided me against PrimoPDF at the time.

I was familiar with Foxit Reader (and its quirks) in Win 7 so, when I moved to Win 10, reviewed other free PDF readers at the time to see if there were any with more functionality. It was just happenstance that my testing revealed the differences in output file sizes.

Now that Foxit Reader has finally provided the means to stop all online activity I'm quite happy to stick with it and recommend it to others.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 19, 2018
Thema:

1. MS Print to PDF not working - Similar Threads - Print PDF working

2. MS Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Print to PDF stopped working: I have two Lenovo laptops different models, not networked, both running Windows 64 Professional. All software is up to date.About two weeks ago they both lost the ability to print to pdf. I've tried every suggestion I've been able to find online, without finding a fix, and...
  3. MS Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Print to PDF stopped working: I have two Lenovo laptops different models, not networked, both running Windows 64 Professional. All software is up to date.About two weeks ago they both lost the ability to print to pdf. I've tried every suggestion I've been able to find online, without finding a fix, and...
  4. MS Print to PDF stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Publisher to MS Print to pdf

Publisher to MS Print to pdf: When printing from Publisher 2002 to Microsoft Print to pdf, a few of the photos are cropped and part of the photo is missing. All photos were from the same camera and photo editor. This is a 61 page booklet but only 4 photos are resized...
  6. Print To Pdf Question Using MS Print to pdf.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Print To Pdf Question Using MS Print to pdf.: Folks, I have a word doc, and at the bottom I put 5 links. I made all 5 by r clicking the text > Link, pasting the true url in there, and then I printed the doc to pdf using MS Print to pdf.My issue is none of those links are clickable in the pdf? I just get the hand icon...
  7. Print To Pdf Question Using MS Print to pdf.

Print To Pdf Question Using MS Print to pdf.: Folks, I have a word doc, and at the bottom I put 5 links. I made all 5 by r clicking the text > Link, pasting the true url in there, and then I printed the doc to pdf using MS Print to pdf.My issue is none of those links are clickable in the pdf? I just get the hand icon...
  8. Print To Pdf Question Using MS Print to pdf.

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. MS Print to PDF no longer available or working?

MS Print to PDF no longer available or working?: Even after updates, I do not have the option of MS Print to PDF. .PRN documents do not work for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-print-to-pdf-no-longer-available-or-working/589ca76e-4b34-48af-a5ec-d3474c65e6d4
  10. MS print to PDF + Stamp

MS print to PDF + Stamp: Good day! I need to save several hundred documents in pdf and add a stamp to them. The stamp saved in pdf and jpg formats. How to add stamp when printing to a pdf printer files from Word, pdf, jpg, tiff? Please, help....