Windows 10: MS sneaks Win10 Downloader on my Win 7

Discus and support MS sneaks Win10 Downloader on my Win 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft invaded my Win 7 PC during my last update and installed a GWX folder under System32 folder. It contains 10 items including a "Download"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by badrobot, Apr 7, 2015.

1. badrobot Win User

MS sneaks Win10 Downloader on my Win 7

Microsoft invaded my Win 7 PC during my last update and installed a GWX folder under System32 folder. It contains 10 items including a "Download" folder. 5 files contains "WX" characters which definitely stands for Win 10.

Here's a screenshot of my Win 7 SSD:

MS sneaks Win10 Downloader on my Win 7 [​IMG]

Now, I need to find away to get rid of this folder without messing up my Win 7.
    I will never give my Windows 7 up!

:)

badrobot, Apr 7, 2015

2. flight simulator 2004 wont run in windows 10

If you have update KB3086255, remove it (delete) and you might be back in business. MS sneaked this update into most Win 7 computers, blocking ms 2004. I removed it and everything is OK now.

BuckyFrank, Apr 7, 2015
  3. having downloaded win10 i am unable to restore to win 7 . Where can i find my win 7 backup and system image which preceeded the win10 download.

having downloaded win10 i am unable to restore to win 7 . Where can i find my win 7 backup and system image which preceeded the win10 download. I am within the 30 day Microsoft choice period. Thanks

JOSEPHO'REGAN, Apr 7, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Boozad, Apr 7, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    I'm sure you'll be able to opt out.

Edwin, Apr 7, 2015
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    I just uninstalled the update KB3035583 and the GWX folder is gone. Now I have to watch for it coming back and hide it.

7. badrobot Win User
    Thanks! Will do!

badrobot, Apr 7, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

This is why I use a separate disk for 7 and 10 and do not dual boot.

Gary, Apr 7, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    ok. when did you last update your win 7? Check your system32 folder.. *Biggrin

badrobot, Apr 7, 2015
  10. strollin Win User
    Chicken Little was right!!!!!!! *Shock

strollin, Apr 7, 2015
  11. Boozad Win User
    I just checked for updates straight after uninstalling it and it was there, so I hid it straight away. Job done.

Boozad, Apr 7, 2015
  12. NickTh Win User
    Same folder I have in Windows 8.1
    Nice finding badrobot !
    And what would happen if I just delete this folder ?

Yes, I think this is irrelevant with W10 installation. Even if you don't have W10 at all this optional update will come.
    EDIT: Finally I uninstalled the update (KB3035583) and the folder disappeared immediately.

NickTh, Apr 7, 2015
  13. Boozad Win User

Just uninstall KB3035583 and then hide the update. The folder will be gone upon reboot. I did post a link in Post #2 with all the information in.

Boozad, Apr 7, 2015
  14. NickTh Win User
    I checked your post (link). I also think there is not need for reboot, I uninstalled the update and I have no more access to this folder, the folder does not exist. I edited my previous post.
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    Also, after I uninstalled the update and checked for new updates, I can see now this update listed in important updates, not optional ones, but I will hide it anyway.

NickTh, Apr 7, 2015
  15. It talks to someone somewhere on the Internet too.

I was playing around with my W7 Network Manager (disabled and enabled my NIC) and I had Process Explorer open.
    When I enabled my NIC, Process Explorer showed that GWX.exe started "talking" via my Network.

lehnerus2000, Apr 7, 2015
Thema:

1. MS sneaks Win10 Downloader on my Win 7 - Similar Threads - sneaks Win10 Downloader

2. Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now: I ran into some issues and had to wipe my HDD and my system was originally a win7 computer that I upgraded to win10 by downloading it. I cant find the download now and I just downloaded about 4 days ago from here. It says on my microsoft profile that I have a key for win 10...
  3. Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now: I ran into some issues and had to wipe my HDD and my system was originally a win7 computer that I upgraded to win10 by downloading it. I cant find the download now and I just downloaded about 4 days ago from here. It says on my microsoft profile that I have a key for win 10...
  4. Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. ms sneaking edge, again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ms sneaking edge, again: Don't know if if some malware or MS is sneaking edge onto my computers again. Anyone know where to go to find out what's in an MS "update" before wasting time downloading and installing edge in case it is MS? Revo Uninstaller wipes it out better than any uninstaller but would...
  6. ms sneaking edge, again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms sneaking edge, again: Don't know if if some malware or MS is sneaking edge onto my computers again. Anyone know where to go to find out what's in an MS "update" before wasting time downloading and installing edge in case it is MS? Revo Uninstaller wipes it out better than any uninstaller but would...
  7. ms sneaking edge, again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Win 7 and Win10: Apologies if this is 'old hat'. I'm having trouble with win 10 (getting wifi working) and have a thread specifically on that subject already open. I'm in the position of installing win10 on my son's laptop and soon have to give it to him - but he lives 80 miles away. Win10...
  9. When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?: If it actually happens before July 29 (not likely) how can I determine if the Win 10 Home install file(s) have downloaded to my Win 7 computer? If its after July 29 I expect I'll get some sort of notification and option to install. 8486
  10. Win10 and win 7 question

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 and win 7 question: I just purchased a new computer with Win10 I can access my old win 7 drive using a external storage system (Eagle Corsus) Can I run win 7 and the programs I have on that drive from my new computer? I have Office 2003 on the old drive but I can't install Office 2003 on...