Windows 10: MS thinks I have W8 but I have W8.1

Discus and support MS thinks I have W8 but I have W8.1 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a legal version of 8.1 on my Lenovo laptop. But MS thinks that I only have W8 and I am now getting emails telling me the benefits of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by redbourn, May 26, 2015.

1. redbourn Win User

MS thinks I have W8 but I have W8.1

Hi,

I have a legal version of 8.1 on my Lenovo laptop.

But MS thinks that I only have W8 and I am now getting emails telling me the benefits of upgrading to W8.1 before moving to W10

Any help would be much appreciated,

Michael

:)

redbourn, May 26, 2015

2. Windows 10 will not activate.

I gave up and did a clean install starting at W8 then upgrade to W8.1 and finally W10. It took a few hours but I think a clean install is better anyway and should have started there. I had a good backup of all data.

LionelBooth, May 26, 2015
  3. I have QQ Win User
    Cant connect my android phone to windows 10

Win 10 Home 64Bit also didn't recognize my Umi plus V3.02_20170613 latest Build. The connection light keeps blinking like the is being access but somehow the handshake or the DRM authentication didn't work.

On my old Win 7 pro 64bit PC, there is no such problem. The Umi plus is recognized instantly.

Now Bill Gate said he is using an Android phone. Who would be so kind and go ask him how did he get it to work. Cause this is a prolonged issue Microsoft. Do I need to get my older Win 7 PC out of storage and use that instead?

I will try with other Android phone and devices, including Apple iPad if this happen to them too.

I am very disappointed, this is a major flaw that should have been iron out long ago.

I have QQ, May 26, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

If you right click on This PC and select Properties, what does it say there about the OS? Mine has this:

MS thinks I have W8 but I have W8.1 [​IMG]

Also systeminfo from a Command Prompt will tell you as well:

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>systeminfo Host Name: DESKTOP OS Name: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OS Version: 6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600 OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free[/quote]

Ztruker, May 26, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    Microsoft's Marketing arm has nothing to do with what version of Windows you have installed. All they know is, at one time you installed Windows 8. Just click at the bottom where it says to unsubscribe.

Mystere, May 26, 2015
  6. batlhilz Win User
    shouldnt be a problem. and its not needed to upgrade 8.1 before win10 preview anyway

batlhilz, May 26, 2015
  7. redbourn Win User
    Thanks for the reply. If I unsubscribe, how will I know when and how to get the upgrade?

redbourn, May 26, 2015
  8. redbourn Win User

Thanks.

redbourn, May 26, 2015
  9. redbourn Win User
    [/quote]

The command line didn't work, says it doesn't exist.

Thanks,

redbourn, May 26, 2015
  10. Dude Win User
    @redbourn, you would have to run it as admin for it to show in the command prompt

11. Mystere Win User
    You would be unsubscribing from the Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade marketing.. not Insider marketing, unless this is marketing from the insider program specifically...

Mystere, May 26, 2015
  12. Everyone got those at some point, at least I did.

Mystere's suggestion will stop the messages. Don't worry about a real msg - when to upgrade - that will come through Windows Update. Or hang around here ... members are really really fast on news *Wink

Slartybart, May 26, 2015
  13. redbourn Win User

Thanks, waiting for the Windows upgrade makes sense.

redbourn, May 26, 2015
  14. redbourn Win User
    The attached says 32 bit but I am running 64

Thanks

redbourn, May 26, 2015
  15. swarfega Win User
    Did you by any chance apply the Windows 8/8.1 Microsoft Media Center key in control panel? That can change the Windows version back to 8.

swarfega, May 26, 2015
Thema:

1. MS thinks I have W8 but I have W8.1 - Similar Threads - thinks

2. I think i got hacked, and i cant login to my minecraft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think i got hacked, and i cant login to my minecraft account: I think hackers hacked into my account, When i tried login into it it said Cand find the account, so i made this account with same gmail, what do i do to get it recovered, when i try to login to minecraft it says that my account's name is *** Email address is removed for...
  3. I think i got hacked, and i cant login to my minecraft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think i got hacked, and i cant login to my minecraft account: I think hackers hacked into my account, When i tried login into it it said Cand find the account, so i made this account with same gmail, what do i do to get it recovered, when i try to login to minecraft it says that my account's name is *** Email address is removed for...
  4. I think that I downloaded a trojan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think that I downloaded a trojan: I have windows 10.I downloaded a zip file of a game from an untrusted source. the link for the site where I got the virus from is: s3.amazonaws.com/pe9/9777129666414113/Starbreed%20v07%20By%20Regulus.html.immediately after downloading I got a message from google that the file...
  5. I think that I downloaded a trojan

I think that I downloaded a trojan: I have windows 10.I downloaded a zip file of a game from an untrusted source. the link for the site where I got the virus from is: s3.amazonaws.com/pe9/9777129666414113/Starbreed%20v07%20By%20Regulus.html.immediately after downloading I got a message from google that the file...
  6. I think that I downloaded a trojan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. I think there might be a problem in my ram or storage?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think there might be a problem in my ram or storage?: I think there might be a problem in my ram or storage how do I check if my ram is fine. Like how do I run a diagnostic to determine if my ram or storage are fine?...
  8. I think there might be a problem in my ram or storage?

I think there might be a problem in my ram or storage?: I think there might be a problem in my ram or storage how do I check if my ram is fine. Like how do I run a diagnostic to determine if my ram or storage are fine?...
  9. I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP: This is a follow up to my previous question about my laptop having water spilled on it. If this is related, please check it out. Anyways, after 8 days of my laptop not turning on from the water. I gave up and reassembled it, took out the rice, dried it with a towel and put it...
  10. I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP

I think my motherboard is fried. PLEASE HELP: This is a follow up to my previous question about my laptop having water spilled on it. If this is related, please check it out. Anyways, after 8 days of my laptop not turning on from the water. I gave up and reassembled it, took out the rice, dried it with a towel and put it...