Windows 10: Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!!

Discus and support Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there what sort of B/S is this -- surely a product this near to RTM (build 10240) should have an option to create a RECOVERY drive. I'd just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jul 23, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!!

Hi there

what sort of B/S is this -- surely a product this near to RTM (build 10240) should have an option to create a RECOVERY drive.

I'd just LOVE to lock some of those I.T managers into a room with no Restrooms (WC's / bogs etc) with some users who could sit down together and FIX this stuff until it was ALL 100% working -- certainly BASIC functionality like this should be second nature --if you can't guarantee either the integrity of your OS or the possibility of recovery --then what on earth are those managers getting paid for.

I know I can restore an image --I wanted to test Recovery which is what a typical user might do if their system doesn't boot.

Any ideas --build 10240.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 23, 2015

2. Cannot Create a Recovery USB Drive ???error???

MS community,

I have Windows 10 Pro laptop and can't seem to be able to complete a create a Windows Recovery drive via 32gb USB 3.0 flash drive.

I get a error message each time I go forward into the process and it says it can't complete the process.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew C.

AndrewC.1980, Jul 23, 2015
  3. "We can't create a recovery drive, A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive" (USB).

Yesterday I updated my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Today I tried to create a recovery USB drive following ..............

How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

This fails. I get the message "We can't create a recovery drive" , and "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive". I don't get to the screen to select the USB flash drive. No indication of what the problem is/was which is most helpful
    (?) I have a 16 GB formatted USB flash drive to install recovery files to.

I read many, many Q&A on the MS Community forum, and no one seems to have a permanent solution or explanation, including trying to clean boot. Does MS actually have a fix for this?

RodneyBellVX, Jul 23, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

It is free, beta, pre-release software.

Microsoft has never said 10240 was RTM, only some of their loose cannons may have implied it.

It is a lookalike with a plausible, but meaningless EULA, but nonetheless pre-release which will be a few days away on the 29th.

It is full of bugs and still has developer code which you might expect in beta software.

Report the failings to the Insider feedback, Microsoft Answers or Technet, if you want them to do something about it, but don't be surprised if it works no better than the stuff that we have been using for years as fully paid up Windows Operating systems, which still do not do all that we expect them to do. Windows backup springs to mind as we transitioned from 7 to 8.

Fafhrd, Jul 23, 2015
  5. DavidY Win User
    I've found that it sometimes works and it sometimes fails. I don't know what factors are making the difference.

I do know that when it works, it can be a lot better than the Windows 8.x version. For instance it can be configured to reinstall Windows and your 3rd-party software. But I suspect this extra complexity is why it isn't reliable yet.

DavidY, Jul 23, 2015
  6. rfruth Win User
    Seems like a strange thing to leave to the end of development, sure hope they get it right the first time *Sad

rfruth, Jul 23, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    HI there

while that is true -- Ms has stated that the ONLY official way of installing 10240 is via an UPGRADE -- so what are you expected to do if you break something and it won't boot.

(I know of course you should take a 3rd party backup -- but that in some cases for the average user is a bit overkill. They might have made a mistake or deleted a file which prevents Windows from booting --a simple REPAIR WINDOWS should be the first chance to fix something before doing a full blown restore).

This sort of stuff IMO should be a PRORITY if Ms say theyonly official way to install build 10240 is via an update. So do they expect people to find their previous build and update again (new 3GB download of course !!!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 23, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

No, the only way to get the free upgrade is to upgrade. After you have upgraded, you can install clean if there is a problem. I would suggest that you do so (I did, just a few days ago) It will automatically activate even though it's a clean install, *IF* you have already done an upgrade.

Mystere, Jul 23, 2015
  9. ummmm, 10.0.240 was also only available thought WU

How did you do a clean install?
    I just checked and there is no PC ISO download (button is inactive), phone yes, PC no.

Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!! [​IMG]

I agree with you that Win10 will automatically activate when you do a clean install IF you've done the upgrade - not 100% certain of that, but fairly confident.

Slartybart, Jul 24, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Probably used the ESDtoISO tool to create a ISO then did a Clean Install with it.

Create Recovery Drive worked okay for me when I tried it. Don't know if I tried it with 10240 or not, will try again in a bit.

Ztruker, Jul 24, 2015
  11. Mystere Win User
    I grabbed the ESD from the upgrade and converted it to ISO

Mystere, Jul 24, 2015
  12. Frank1 Win User
    Apparently my thinking has been wrong on this. It is my understanding that most computers have a drive D which is the recovery drive. It has everything you need to put the computer back to the original factory settings. So I thought that even if you do a clean install with Windows 10, it will not do a thing to drive D which you can still use for recovery. Have I been wrong on this?*Confused

Frank1, Jul 24, 2015
  13. linw Win User

I have also posted here on my experience of re-doing my comp from 10240 to 10240. Did the ESD to ISO 'trick' as well.

14. linw Win User
  15. Thanks Mr E, that's what I thought - just a sanity check on my part.

Bill

Slartybart, Jul 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Ms you are going BONKERS -- Can't create recovery drive !!!!!!! - Similar Threads - are going BONKERS

2. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  3. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  4. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  6. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  7. Recovery Drive: Can't Create

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive: Can't Create: Hi I am trying to create a recovery drive for my laptop. I received the laptop from a family member so I don't know if the recovery files, which I believe to be on one of the hard drives, are still there or not. I have run the Recovery Drive app and have followed all of its...
  8. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  9. Can't create Recovery Drive

Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...
  10. Can't create a recovery drive.

Can't create a recovery drive.: I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions? 57833