Windows 10: MSE wont uninstall

Discus and support MSE wont uninstall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Prior to upgrade I was using Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 Pro laptop. After upgrade, every time I boot up I get a warning that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MikeWilliams, Aug 4, 2015.

1. MSE wont uninstall

Prior to upgrade I was using Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 Pro laptop.

After upgrade, every time I boot up I get a warning that windows defender is not enabled.

Ok I though, remove MSE

But I can't as shown below

MSE wont uninstall [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to remove MSE and enable Defender?

:)

MikeWilliams, Aug 4, 2015

2. Everything works fine but this MSE Update KB3140527 - Error 0x80070643 - Windows 10

HIYA621

Because you did not uninstall MSE prior to upgrading to Windows 10, MSE is unfortunately still installed on your computer.

MSE is an Anti-Virus program designed for Windows Vista/7.

In Windows 8.1/10 Windows Defender is the in-built Anti-Virus program.

Both programs are now conflicting with each other.

That means you need to uninstall MSE right now.

After a successful uninstallation of MSE and a reboot, Windows Defender should be automatically enabled and you won't get any MSE-related updates offered anymore.

So: Please read my prior post, and try to uninstall MSE using the described uninstall-methods.

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Kevrjp Win User
    Security Essentials/Defender problem

On Windows 10 Defender replaced MSE, but didn't remove MSE. A MS tech uninstalled MSE for me with Revo Uninstaller as it refused to be uninstalled by using the regular unistaller. Now there is still an icon on the apps list (but doesn't run when clicked),
    and security settings say they are both running. I guess traces of MSE were left in the registry. How can I be rid of these?

Kevrjp, Aug 4, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

MSE wont uninstall

MSE is not supported on Windows 8 and above.

Windows Defender have been exactly the same in turns of what they scan and what features they have. Just stick with WD and you'l get the same level of protection.

swarfega, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Having read the OP, they had MSE installed on Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10 and the MSE install was kept on there, despite Windows Defender being installed in the OS with Windows 10.

OP is now not able to uninstall MSE as it is clashing with Windows Defender.

To the OP - you could try this to see if it works: Microsoft Security Essentials - Uninstall Completely - Windows 7 Help Forums

garydexter, Aug 4, 2015
  6. Did you not read the text !
    I am trying to UNINSTALL MSE !!!

7. Glad to see people actually read the text and don't just look at the pretty pictures MSE wont uninstall :)
    I will give your suggestion a go...

8. swarfega Win User

MSE wont uninstall

hmm well in that case its not looking that good according to this thread. You could try booting Windows into safe mode and try remove MSE that way.

swarfega, Aug 4, 2015
  9. Not sure this is wise as
    I assume that this also applies to 8.1 and 10 ...

10. garydexter, Aug 4, 2015
  11. swarfega Win User
    Maybe installing another AV like AVG, might sort things out because 3rd party AV programs usually disable MD and by doing that it might re-enable it when you uninstall AVG.

swarfega, Aug 4, 2015
  12. MikeWilliams, Aug 4, 2015
  13. MSE wont uninstall

Or back your data up and do a refresh - which in essence is a clean install - but yeah *Sad

garydexter, Aug 4, 2015
  14. Already got data backed up, but I am not going to do a clean install as I need to see how many gotchas there are in the upgrade process.

15. YOU
    You Win User
    Can go to %windir%\installer, add the Subject column, and look for MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials, or something like that in the Subject column? If run the installer directly (MSI file), may be able to bypass the message that prevents from uninstalling MSE.

Thema:

MSE wont uninstall

1. MSE wont uninstall - Similar Threads - MSE wont uninstall

2. MSE and Screensaver Enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSE and Screensaver Enabled: Q: Is the functionality of a Microsoft Security Essentials full virus scan affected if a screensaver is enabled during the process?A:Q: Within MSE, is there an option to view virus scan specs or does it involve accessing a folder?A:Thank You....
  3. MSE Puzzle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSE Puzzle: Right now I am in Safari because I shut down my Windows 7. MSE just ran on it; and I don't know how it got onto my Windows 7 in the first place. I did not install it, but let it update. During the past two weeks I had blue screens; so after running my usual security programs,...
  4. MSE Puzzle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSE Puzzle: Right now I am in Safari because I shut down my Windows 7. MSE just ran on it; and I don't know how it got onto my Windows 7 in the first place. I did not install it, but let it update. During the past two weeks I had blue screens; so after running my usual security programs,...
  5. MSE and Chrome

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSE and Chrome: I ran a full scan last night. MSE apparently found something suspicious, corrected it. Now my google chrome doesn't work.. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mse-and-chrome/133976d8-37fc-413b-a19b-20bb9d126b67
  6. MSE efficiency

MSE efficiency: Hello, Thank you for providing a free anti-virus software with MSE. I do have a similar question than other users. I have read many. I also do understand and have experienced false positives from other companies, just to make their software seem better. My question is...
  7. MSE Scan

MSE Scan: I installed MSE on my old laptop, that I need for work, It is Monday morning 7:45 am and it has been running the quick scan for 22 hrs now and scanned 320K items. Is this normal for the first time?...
  8. MSE

MSE: I don't know if my first post went thru. In the MSE history it says I have the "TrojanDownloader:JS/Menucod. But multiple scans do not find anything.... Also have an error code 0x80508023 that says the Program could not find the malware.......
  9. MSE

MSE: Have this in my MSE history; don't know what it means. Multiple scans come up clean.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mse/8d175fdf-6ef9-45ed-9839-aae1cb7d7c7d
  10. MSE

MSE: What version of MSE should I be running on Windows 7 64 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start-windows_7/mse/02d2ec1b-87bc-4371-ab07-07d01d692f72