Windows 10: Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

Discus and support Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok so here's what has happened. I have a multi boot system. Windows 10 on my M2 hard drive. Then on another SSD I have Windows 10 Creators addition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by warewasher2025, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

Ok so here's what has happened. I have a multi boot system. Windows 10 on my M2 hard drive. Then on another SSD I have Windows 10 Creators addition that I use to test updates . Then 1 more SSD that has Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. All were booting fine using Easy BCD until I added Linux on another SSD. I installed Linux with all other drives unplugged except the M2 which is not easily removed. Now Linux Grub boots first with Windows 10 on the boot list.
    I'm assuming that Linux installed grub on my M2 Windows 10 installation.
    I have tried to repair using Windows installation disk but no result.
    How can I get Easy BCD back to be my first option? Then I can add Linux to the boot menu.
    Thanks

:)

warewasher2025, Mar 6, 2018

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 and Kali Linux

I've disabled secure boot and set everything in my bios to legacy.

Here is the motherboard I am using GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

I am currently trying to use the program Easy BCD to do this but it's not working. I keep on getting the error "Easy BCD has detected that your machine is booting in EFI mode. Due to limitations set by Microsoft, many of Easy BCD's multi-booting features
    cannot be used in EFI mode and have been disabled."

Any ideas?

Jacob20021975, Mar 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 gone. Can't install it again

Is there an equivalent Easy BCD program for Linux? I couldn't use Easy BCD on it.

matheusblanco744760, Mar 6, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

topgundcp, Mar 6, 2018
  5. Disk 2 is the Linux installation.

Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue [​IMG]

warewasher2025, Mar 6, 2018
  6. topgundcp Win User
    When you install Linux, the best way is to disconnect everything including the M.2 so that it will create its own grub loader. Since you did not disconnect the M.2 SSD, Linux override Windows Boot Loader with Grub. You'd need to reformat the System Reserved Partition to get rid of grub loader.
    Boot into WinRe, open Command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 3
    select partition 1
    delete partition override
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs Label="System Reserved"
    assign letter=W
    active
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: /f BIOS

The procedure above will rebuild the Windows Boot Manager with single boot into Windows Pro.
    reboot the PC then use Easy BCD to add other Windows (7/8/10) for mutiboot

NOTE: You won't be able to add LINUX using Easy BCD. You'd need to delete the LINUX partition(s), disconnect all other Drives including M.2, re-install LINUX then use Easy BCD to add it to multiboot.

The screen shot below demonstrates how it works:
    #1 Single Windows installed
    #2 Linux installed with Windows disk(s) connected. This is how your current Windows/Linux setup
    #3 Install Linux without any Windows disk(s) connected so that it will have its own Grub boot loader then use Easy BCD to add Linux to Windows Boot loader. This is the preferred option so that any subsequent Windows/Linux Updates will not interfere with each others.

Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 6, 2018
  7. Thanks
    Will do. I love his forum

warewasher2025, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue

1. Multi Boot system Easy BCD issue - Similar Threads - Multi Boot system

2. Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft BCD BOOT INSTALL: Windows 10 BCD BOOT INSTALL for 0xc000000225,0xc0000001. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-bcd-boot-install/7f2e0bed-cffb-4551-901e-28da8231ea63
  3. boot issue...maybe BCD issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    boot issue...maybe BCD issue: So I was cloning a drive with mini tool shadow maker...I installed the new drive and I saw it in windows and I apparently chose wrong when I chose MBR and not GPT...so I cloned the HDD to the ssd. Shutdown and remove old drive and booted new drive..,bios has been Legacy the...
  4. Easy BCD boot assistance

Easy BCD boot assistance: HP G6 i3 usb2.0 laptop. Came with Win 7 Home on a 5400rpm HD. Got USB 3.0 10 port powered hub. Installed new Samsung SSD with Win 10 on 1st of three partitions. Win 8.1 and Linux on other partitions. Works Fine. Need to boot to external 5400rpm HD via USB to run work related...
  5. Easy BCD boot assistance

Easy BCD boot assistance: HP G6 i3 usb2.0 laptop. Came with Win 7 Home on a 5400rpm HD. Got USB 3.0 10 port powered hub. Installed new Samsung SSD with Win 10 on 1st of three partitions. Win 8.1 and Linux on other partitions. Works Fine. Need to boot to external 5400rpm HD via USB to run work related...
  6. How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System

How to fix BCD for Dual Boot System: My bootloader is corrupted (I think the last Insider upgrade did it). I have the correct two Win 10 installations listed (my Win 10 production system and the Win 10 Insider) but there are others listed, such as "UEFI IP4" and both of my DVD drives (see screenshot). I would...
  7. Multi OS boot screen issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multi OS boot screen issue: Hi, I have 3 OS on 1 Disk Drive (3partitions), 2x w8.1pro 64bit (not activated) & w10pro 64bit (activated). normally ok but the boot screen did not show & the pc booted into the latest installation, w10. I fixed this by changing setting the default in System Configuration &...
  8. Bootloader issues with multi-boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader issues with multi-boot: I'm trying to dual-boot Win 10 (64-bit) and WinXP (32-bit). If I try to go to WinXP, the entire system just restarts, then restarts once more when I get back into the bootloader. I tried using Dual Boot Repair, but all it did was add a redundant item to my bootloader menu....
  9. Multi boot system question....adding Vista

Multi boot system question....adding Vista: Attached is a screen shot of my system hard drive set up. I'm using Easy BCD to boot to which ever OS as my mood strikes. I have some free space on drive X where I would like to install Vista ....for no other reason other that I can. Vista set up keeps giving an error message...
  10. Invisible Boot Manager on Multi OS system.

Invisible Boot Manager on Multi OS system.: i7-5820k, 3.3GHz Asus X-99A/USB 3.1 mobo 16gigs Ram AMD RX480 8gig Win 10/7 I am dual booting win 10 and 7. The install of 10 went smooth and I had the wonderful blue menu screen for some time. Attachment 164426 However, since the Creators update on 10 all I have...