Windows 10: Multi-Display Issues with opening programs

Discus and support Multi-Display Issues with opening programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have absolutely no idea how to explain this any simpler but here goes nothing. I have a two monitor setup with my primary monitor used strictly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamcline, Jul 29, 2015.

1. iamcline Win User

Multi-Display Issues with opening programs

I have absolutely no idea how to explain this any simpler but here goes nothing.

I have a two monitor setup with my primary monitor used strictly for gaming or music production. On my secondary monitor I like to do everything else such as web browsing, graphic design, etc.

My problem is that so-far on Windows 10, when I open a program (such as MS Edge) and move it to my secondary monitor and close it, it re-opens on the primary monitor. In Windows 8.1 I never had this issue. After moving a program to the secondary monitor, it would always open there (unless I moved it of-course).

I am loving Windows 10 thus far but this is driving me nuts. Am I missing a setting or something really simple?

:)

iamcline, Jul 29, 2015

2. Multi Issues with opening all applications after microsoft 10 update

Yes, I have the same issues on my Dual SIM BLU Win HD LTE, and not only me, but my entire company. Now that the Anniversary Edition installed itself, Skype for Business is no longer functional (our inter-company communicator), Skype no longer exists (now
    Skype Preview) and does not function, you cannot copy-and-paste from an email, and Microsoft Health will no longer open, making all of our Bands useless and worthless. I would think that with these problems (and these are the only ones I can remember off
    the top of my head) Microsoft would be working on a solution.

Jay Gray JAM, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Billy Med Win User
    Multi Issues with opening all applications after microsoft 10 update

Hi Glen,

Since you mentioned that these issues came about after updating to the Windows 10 anniversary update, we suggest that you download the Windows Device recovery Tool on your PC and have your phone connected to it.

Here's the link
    for your perusal.

Let us know how it goes.

Billy Med, Jul 29, 2015
  4. ShaneOss Win User

I'm having the same problem. With Edge it launches on primary monitor and not where they were last closed from. Your right Windows 8.1 didn't have this issue. Other applications seem ok.

Win + Shift + Left or Right Arrow. *Biggrin

ShaneOss, Jul 31, 2015
  5. NEURO2015 Win User
    I using four monitors and have the exact same problem with Edge only. IE 11 & application windows re-open on the monitor they were last closed on, just like they've always done on Win Vista, 7 & 8. But Edge will not. Edge will only open on monitor 1, no matter what I do.

NEURO2015, Jul 31, 2015
  6. patrickt Win User
    Bingo. It's an Edge problem. I really like Windows 10 but I don't have Edge on my taskbar.

But, we don't have a dual-display forum. When I have a taskbar on my secondary monitor it will not autohide. Do you have a similar problem? Know a solution?

patrickt, Jul 31, 2015
  7. I just want to add my name to the list of users who have the same problem mentioned by the OP. Hopefully MS will pickup on this issue and provide a fix in the near future.

UPDATE: I've posted over on the Microsoft forums (answers.microsoft.com) about this issue. Hopefully someone from MS will respond.

Marcus Vinicus, Aug 1, 2015
  8. ShaneOss Win User

Yes it seems Edge isn't using WindowPlacement which should set the previous window place before closing. Then retrieve the previous set location on application start to where the application was last closed.

Details: WINDOWPLACEMENT structure (Windows)

You'll notice in the Registry for example IE (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main) you see a REG_BINARY value for "Window_Placement" which contains the details of where IE was last closed.

I also tried creating the same key with the same value under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" but it seems to ignore the value. This would be because GetWindowPlacement isn't being called on StartUp.

Cheers,
    Shane

ShaneOss, Aug 1, 2015
  9. NEURO2015 Win User
    There's also a Microsoft feedback site for Edge here: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums...microsoft-edge

I've searched for this issue and there's a couple mentions that I've seen...along with about a billion other bugs/fixes/requests. As you read them all, you begin to realize Edge really doesn't seem ready for primetime, considering that IE11's features far outweigh what Edge has. Yes, it's a new browser and will evolve...but many of the current limitations make it unusable or severely limited for many people or will drive us bat-sht crazy using it.

NEURO2015, Aug 1, 2015
  10. iamcline Win User
    Awesome find and update! Just noticed by dumb luck that SONAR and Steam were opening where I wanted them but Edge was not. Blew my mind.

Thanks again!

iamcline, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Multi-Display Issues with opening programs - Similar Threads - Multi Display Issues

2. Multi Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi Display: How can i make screens 1 + 2 extended but have screen 3 mirror screen 1?Screen three is in another room. I want it to be able to display my main desktop so i can see notifications.The other two screens should function as side-by-side screens....
  3. Multi Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi Display: How can i make screens 1 + 2 extended but have screen 3 mirror screen 1?Screen three is in another room. I want it to be able to display my main desktop so i can see notifications.The other two screens should function as side-by-side screens....
  4. Multi Display

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Multi-display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi-display: So this is very embarassing to me, I've tried multiple possibilities to be able to work on 2 monitors which are the same, 2 Optix G24C from msi. Here's the thing, it simply doesn't get detected. while connected properly together. Monitor 1 is connected to computer and works...
  6. Multi-display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi-display: So this is very embarassing to me, I've tried multiple possibilities to be able to work on 2 monitors which are the same, 2 Optix G24C from msi. Here's the thing, it simply doesn't get detected. while connected properly together. Monitor 1 is connected to computer and works...
  7. multi displays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    multi displays: I have a graphics card that will take 3 monitos, with the latest drivers installed. Has 2 HDMI 1 Display Port. Main monitor is in display port, 1 other monitor is of course in the HDMI port.. The problem is when I connect the 3rd monitor to the other HDMI port Win 10 goes...
  8. Multi Display Issues. BIOS screen in wrong display.

Multi Display Issues. BIOS screen in wrong display.: I'm having an issue with my displays and the way programs are opening on them. I am using two displays: - Dell 24" LED Monitor (SE2416) | Resolution 1920 x 1080 - LG 50" 4K Ultra HD LED LCD TV Both Which are connected to my graphics card via HDMI 2.1 cables. My Dell...
  9. Multi-displays

Multi-displays: How can I keep my computer monitor displaying computer matters, while having the HDMI monitor feed showing other programming like movies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multi-displays/0d1a2b0d-3fee-4d06-bd7c-83194f232c1e
  10. Multi Display

Multi Display: I'm trying to run one program across 2 monitors but it won't let me. Please can someone let me know how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/multi-display/327ca1bb-a08b-4da6-b473-86520b87961e