Windows 10: Multi-Monitor Connection Differences

Discus and support Multi-Monitor Connection Differences in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I started a new job recently, and have been using two Dell U2515H monitors connected to a Dell docking station via DisplayPort connections. I'm having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by DeaconFrost, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Multi-Monitor Connection Differences

I started a new job recently, and have been using two Dell U2515H monitors connected to a Dell docking station via DisplayPort connections. I'm having many issues with the monitors not always displaying after my computer turns off the displays, or even after a reboot. Sometimes, the displays are corrupted, and I have to pull a DisplayPort cable and then reconnect it to fix the issue. According to my coworkers, this seems to be normal, and I haven't had much time to troubleshoot, other than updating all drivers.

I'm thinking of going dual-monitor at home, so would I be better off going with HDMI connections instead of DisplayPort?

:)

DeaconFrost, Nov 15, 2015
  2. Beach Dix Win User

Windows 10 Multi Monitors in remote desktop

It would appear that this is the issue. However I find it odd that when I had windows 7 pro I could remote connect to a windows 7 enterprise computer and I got multi-monitor support. But when I have windows 10 pro (where multi-monitors is supported), I do
    not get multi monitor support.

It doesn't matter though, I have since upgraded the other computer to windows 10 pro so I have multi monitor support.

Beach Dix, Nov 15, 2015
  3. Windows 10: Too Blurry at 150% Scaling (recommended), Too Small at 100% scaling

Trust me they know. just like Apple had to do, they built an entire new platform just to solve for the different screen pixel densities. That's why you'll notice that apps from the app store never get blurry: the entire programming runtime platform was
    specifically built to solve it.

I've researched and studied this at length. It gets even worse if you have multiple monitors and only one of them has a different density:

DPI Scaling in HD Multi-Monitor Configurations

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Nov 15, 2015
  4. Joshy Win User

Multi-Monitor Connection Differences

HDMI does not support multiple video stream.

Your issues are probably related with that particular docking station, i run displayport connections on 2 computers and never had a issue.

Joshy, Nov 15, 2015
  5. batlhilz Win User
    docking stations are horrible with the multimonitor setup, not to mention the laptop drivers itself usually installs some retarded USB-display devices etc. its a real hassle imo.

batlhilz, Nov 16, 2015
  6. So, in theory, if I were to run a tower at home with dual monitors connected to a GTX 960 or something like that using two DisplayPort connections, I shouldn't see the same issues?

DeaconFrost, Nov 16, 2015
  7. xeleron Win User
    Multimonitor doesn't mean you have to use displayport with a docking type solution.You can easily buy two hdmi cables and run two monitors without hassle.As an alternative,if you do not have multiple HDMI ports at your disposal,the DVI connector can be used with a DVI to HDMI adapter (dirt cheap @ 3 USD).

xeleron, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Multi-Monitor Connection Differences

Quite often, the GPU has 2 ports, one DVI, the other HDMI. You don't really need an HDMI converter, just use the DVI cable if you have it. I even heard it suggested the DVI is equal or slightly better than HDMI (but doesn't often carry sound like HDMI)

DustSailor, Nov 17, 2015
  9. xeleron Win User
    Yes DVI is just as good, I was thinking about simplicity in configuring the displays.DVI is exactly HDMI without sound,or at least it was until hdmi got the upper hand by supporting 4k resolutions.

xeleron, Nov 17, 2015
  10. I haven't picked a monitor as of yet, so I am able to look for any type of connection. I think I'll be looking for a hard with two of the same outputs, either DP or HDMI, and then two monitors with the same connection.

DeaconFrost, Nov 17, 2015
  11. I have a GT640 that has mini HDMI and two DVI ports. I'm running triple monitors on it, all 3 are DVI in. I have a HDMI to DVI adapter on the monitor with a HDMI to mini HDMI monitor cable. On my laptop I run a second USB 3 monitor via DisplayPort. Connected directly to my laptops USB 3 port I've had no issues. Well non since proper drivers were released. I had some issues with the early 10 preview builds. Lately, I just plug it in, drivers are downloaded and installed automatically. After a reboot or two its up and running. The laptop and external display are both ASUS.

alphanumeric, Nov 17, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    I'm running 3 monitors and using DVI, HDMI and DP to HDMI adapter. They all work just fine. There is a difference when they receive a signal on startup, but it works just fine for me.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Multi-Monitor Connection Differences

1. Multi-Monitor Connection Differences - Similar Threads - Multi Monitor Connection

2. Is there a way to have different power settings for multi-monitor setups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to have different power settings for multi-monitor setups?: Is there a way to have different power settings for multi-monitor setups? I currently running 2 28-in 4k monitors using dislay ports and a phantom 3rd HDMI monitor for Digital Sound to a Dolby Atmos Sound Bar. I don't want the HDMI stream to turn-off with the other monitors...
  3. Is there a way to have different power settings for multi-monitor setups?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to have different power settings for multi-monitor setups?: Is there a way to have different power settings for multi-monitor setups? I currently running 2 28-in 4k monitors using dislay ports and a phantom 3rd HDMI monitor for Digital Sound to a Dolby Atmos Sound Bar. I don't want the HDMI stream to turn-off with the other monitors...
  4. Remote Desktop Connection Multi Monitors Support in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection Multi Monitors Support in Windows 11: Despite enabling the "Use all my monitors for the remote session" option in Remote Desktop Connection in Win11 connecting with a Win7 host, the session only display 1 screen. Both the host and view machines have 2 monitors each and are configured in the same orientation.Dual...
  5. Remote Desktop Connection Multi Monitors Support in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection Multi Monitors Support in Windows 11: Despite enabling the "Use all my monitors for the remote session" option in Remote Desktop Connection in Win11 connecting with a Win7 host, the session only display 1 screen. Both the host and view machines have 2 monitors each and are configured in the same orientation.Dual...
  6. Problem with multi Monitor Setup Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with multi Monitor Setup Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager: Hi everybody, I'm at the end of my wits. I recently got a new second monitor on my system win10, NVidia Geforce 1070, 2x MSI Optix MAG27 to name the relevant pieces and now the automatic monitor detection is bugging me. ProblemWhenever I'm switching my second monitor off...
  7. Multi monitor freeze

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multi monitor freeze: Hello I have a problem with my computer I tried so many solutions on google with contacting Microsoft support and still no fix, so I ended up here to get help as you guys helped me before in the BSOD problem. My problem my mouse pointer freeze for a split second...
  8. Multi-monitor set up with different sizes and resolutions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi-monitor set up with different sizes and resolutions?: Hi, Running W10 1709 64-bit, and a multi-monitor setup as pictured in screenshot from display manager: 2x27" 2560x1440 (Monitors "3" and "4") 1x22" 1680x1050 (Monitor "2") and built-in laptop display: 15.6" 1920x1080 (Monitor "1") My problem is that my monitor...
  9. Nvidia GameStream with a multi seat and multi monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia GameStream with a multi seat and multi monitor setup: Hi, I have a somewhat complex question. I am trying to force Nvidia GameStream (lets call it "GS" from now on) to start on my secondary monitor. I've read on the Nvidia forum that it can't be done, and have tried to tinker with it myself. No luck so far. I will try to note...
  10. Multi-monitor taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Multi-monitor taskbar: Is there a way to duplicate the taskbar to my second monitor? Right now, there are no toolbars, notification icons, search or date/clock. thanks. 10480