Windows 10: Multi Recovery Partitions

Discus and support Multi Recovery Partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Folks: I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with an upgraded Windows 10 installed. Always perform Windows Update but did not pay attention too closely. When the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by azizuddin, Mar 5, 2016.

1. azizuddin Win User

Multi Recovery Partitions

Folks:
    I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with an upgraded Windows 10 installed. Always perform Windows Update but did not pay attention too closely. When the drive space was low and started looking a little bit closer, I found out that I have several Recovery Partitions. From Disk Management display, from left to right are the partitions:
    500MB EFI | 40 MB OEM | 490 MB Recovery | C: OS 22.8 GB | 450 MB Recovery | 4.75 GB Recovery
    The problem is I do not know which partition that Windows 10 actually created as its Recovery Partition. I do know that the 4.75 GB partition is my original Dell Venue 8 Pro Recovery Partition. Which one can I remove to allow the expansion of my C drive? What gives?

:)

azizuddin, Mar 5, 2016
  2. Willy9000 Win User

Windows 10 & Too many Recovery partitions

Disk Management displays:

• 300 MB Healthy (EFI System partition)
    • 900 MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    • OS (CMulti Recovery Partitions :) 184,97 GB Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash, Primary partition)
    • 912 MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    • 450 MB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    • DATA (DMulti Recovery Partitions :) 258,15 GB Healthy (Primary partition)
    • 20,01 GB Healthy (Recovery partition)
    It concerns an ASUS N750JV laptop that came with Windows 8 Home pre-installed, then upgraded to Windows 8.1. and finally to Windows 10.

One could assume that each Windows version created its own Recovery partition, so that could explain 3 Recovery partitions.

Usually I change the name of partition C: from OS (or often LOCAL) to for example Win 10 pr 64-bit, especially with it concern a dual or multi-boot computer.

Willy

Willy9000, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade nightmare!

Toshiba do do recovery media I think but it might cost you.

I doubt your Win7 code will work with a generic Win7 dvd.

I can't remember exactly but I think the first or last DVD in the toshiba recovery set is named "recovery enviroment". Try booting from that one and you might be able to get the recovery partition going again instead of the dvds.

I have always gone for the whole disk/partition clone method rather than doing the multi-hour toshiba reinstalls where possible so I haven't used them too much recently.

I don't see anything special on my own recovery partition that sets it apart from others so I think it is that recovery enviroment dvd that is important about getting into it.

I'll add that from my own personal experience of running Win10 on a Toshiba L640 laptop you certainly don't want to do that. It isn't stable.

AllanM2014, Mar 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

First thing I would do is install Macrium Reflect Free and make a backup of your 32GB memory onto a flash drive or SD card. That way if you need anything in the future you will have it.

Then I would install MiniTool Partition Wizard. From the looks of it you can delete the 40 MB OEM, 490 MB Recovery and 4.75 GB Recovery partitions. Move the 450 MB recovery partition to the end of the "disk". Then expand the C: drive partition both at the front and at the end to fill the remaining space.

Also, it would be a good idea to make the Macrium Reflect Free rescue USB flash drive - which will take about 1 GB more of your space on the "hard drive" - but you can also make the Macrium rescue USB on another computer as well.

Also note: you will probably see a small MSR partition in MiniTool Partition Wizard that you don't see in Windows Disk Management. If that is in the way of expanding your C: drive partition at the front - just delete it. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth and someone will post here shortly that deleting the MSR partition will be the beginning of the apocalypse - but there are plenty of us who have deleted this empty "reserved for future use" space and have had no issues at all.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is my tablet's configuration. I've also shrunk the EFI and Recovery partitions:

Multi Recovery Partitions [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    The 3 recovery partitions seem to be standard. At least 2 of them are really tiny. So no need to play around with them.

7. cereberus Win User
    You could squeeze a little more space by using Kyhi's win pe image to make an image backup of tablet to a flash drive, or sd card, then you could delete the recovery partition as not really needed then.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I have an image on the SD card, but I want to keep the troubleshooting menu.

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    The only part that disappears is the ability to reset pc. I can still access firmware etc via the troubleshoot menus and I have no recovery partition.

In my personal experience, both my tablets screwed up using reset option anyway, so I always use MRF instead.

Still not worth it removing it really for 350 MB though I guess.

cereberus, Mar 6, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, I can certainly try it, it's easy enough to put back in place if I don't like the results Multi Recovery Partitions :)

NavyLCDR, Mar 6, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Well, I too have a Venue Pro...
    So I will share my experience with windows 8.1 (PBR- Push Button Reset) and (Bare Metal Reset Recovery Media)
    vs
    the same recovery features with Windows 10....

The Recovery features between 8.1 and 10 are very different.... And the venue being a touch tablet makes matters worst..

Here is the break down for this upgraded Venue..

500MB EFI (System) Partition > only needs to be 100MB

40MB OEM Partition > Dell's PC Diagnostic Utility Partition > maybe nice to have, but will probably never use or need it...

490MB Recovery (WinRE for windows 8.1) > Here is where there is a difference - that WinRE.wim also has the 8.1 touch and system drivers added into it.... So your tablet will function without the need for a USB input device while in Recovery..

C is the OS

450MB Recovery is WinRE for Windows 10 > this is the standard 10 winre.wim and does not contain any system or touch drivers for the venue.. so a USB input device will be needed within recovery...

4.75GB is the windows 8.1 recovery image partition... Windows 8.1 uses this Factory image to Reset windows... The image is a capture of the OS, Factory Programs, System Drivers, etc.. (the Sysprep OS)

Here is the second major difference - windows 10 uses a different method to Reset itself - it uses the file backups from within itself to Reset the OS.. (winSxS)

Windows 10 Reset is also an OS only reset feature - not special drivers or programs...
    To included or apply those drivers and programs - A provisioning package (custom.wim) must be included into the recovery process... This is a process you would have to do manually as it is not part of the OS installation...

So in closing, due to the difference in the creation and recovery processes of 8.1 and 10 recovery on the venue..
    I have had No luck creating and resetting my venue with the Standard Windows 10 Recovery Method....

I have the Windows 8.1 Factory Bare Metal Reset Recovery Media, saved to an external drive and USB stick... Because it works every time...

There are several other more reliable methods to create windows 10 recovery and BMR recovery media, but it is all done manually...

I manually build off the windows 8.1 recovery (use as a template) to create the Windows 10 Recovery Media.. By swapping in a few prepared windows 10 images..

12. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - windows 10 recovery on tablets is a PITA.

The easiest method (imo) is to simply use Macrium Reflect Free and create a system image backup of a working version, and put Macrium as a dual boot entry. You will need to connect a usb mouse (via an otg cable if a mico usb slot).

Unfortunately, my Linc does not recognise the sd card when using Macrium, so image need to be on a flash drive (so a usb hub is needed as well). Not sure if this a generic or specific to Linx. I know you can create a custom wim but tbh more trouble than it is worth as I have a suitable hub anyway.

cereberus, Mar 7, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

And to make matters worse - there is no screen rotation on my Nextbook tablet when in recovery mode. So, not only do I have to have the detachable keyboard attached, I also have to have the thing sitting up sideways and the touchpad mouse is 90 degrees off Multi Recovery Partitions :)

One of these days I am going to add the touchscreen and rotation drivers to the Macrium Reflect rescue USB, but not a high priority.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    Do you know how to do that - I would not mind giving it a bash.

cereberus, Mar 7, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm going to look into Kyhi's instructions for adding things to Windows PE.

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Multi Recovery Partitions - Similar Threads - Multi Recovery Partitions

2. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  3. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  4. Partition Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition Recovery: Hi! I recently came upon this post: Data lost on my backup drive -Minitool disk recovery that discussed what appears to be a problem similar to one I'm experiencing with my WD MyBook 2TB external hard drive. The drive suddenly disappeared from File Explorer...and when I...
  5. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery partition: Hi all, After recent Windows updates my disk0 C: has now only 16GB of space. disk1 D: has 850 GB. Is there a way to move some of this from D: to C: ?? Thanks John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/8efef761-2f1d-49e8-85a6-3e4b4fade16f
  6. Formatting multi partition HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting multi partition HDD: Hey I have just removed an 2.5" 500gb hdd from my old broken xbox one. I want to use it as spare portable hdd, for which I have a 3.0 USB HDD case. I would like to format the HDD with windows disk managment or any other HDD mangament tools (like AOMEI Partition Manager) but...
  7. Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition: Please read through to the bottom. I have 2 questions there. This is in relation to comments on threads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unused-11gb-recovery-partition/24a7cbbe-960a-490f-b916-e07eba32281e and...
  8. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery partition: A friend asked this and I didn't have an answer, mainly because I use Macrium reflect and image the whole drive. He was playing around with an Acer Desktop and deleted the recovery partition. His only other computer is an Hp laptop. Both latest Win 10 versions. The Laptop has...
  9. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recovery partition: My hp laptop suddenly threw up a twirling recovering disc image. Now many of my apps like Edge and others don't work. When I look at disc management I see my C drive has a recovery partition. How do I make use of this?...
  10. Change Multi-Partition Configuration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change Multi-Partition Configuration: I have attached a file to show the current configuration of my hard drive. Historically, I purchased the computer with Vista OS and then added the Windows 7 and Windows 10 partitions later as as these OSs became available. I am now running out of space on my hard drive and...