Windows 10: Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader

Discus and support Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I didn't know which thread to post this topic in, thought this was the right one. Mods, if you think there is a more relevant thread to post this in,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rogerwilco91, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader

I didn't know which thread to post this topic in, thought this was the right one. Mods, if you think there is a more relevant thread to post this in, please make the necessary changes. Thank you. Onwards to my issue:

I just recently decided to dual boot my UEFI-based system between Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Upon using EasyBCD to create a bootloader that only includes Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, I get this mess:

Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader [​IMG]

Can anyone help me figure out how I can get back a Metro-styled Bootloader that only includes Windows 10 and Windows 8.1? Thanks!

:)

rogerwilco91, Feb 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 system files

I have resolved the issue by removing non system drives, ensuring both system and backup drives would boot either via Metro bootloader or independently. I reconnected the non system drives and was able to format as required.

Regards,

Steve

Photoman9876, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Bootloader for Thumbdrive ?

Hi, I want to put multiple boot discs for multiple computers on one thumb drive. I assume I need to create a multiple bootloader on the thumbdrive so I can select which boot loader I want for each computer when the computer boots into the thumbdrive, correct
    ?

StraightWorld, Feb 22, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader

Go back into EasyBCD and delete the entries you don't want.

Winuser, Feb 22, 2016
  5. I tried that, sorry for not mentioning it. When I go into EasyBCD, I only see my Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 entries:

Even with just two entries here in EasyBCD, I still get the unneeded boot entries in the Metro Bootloader seen in the OP picture. Weird!

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Run msconfig - what does the boot tab on msconfig show?

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  7. Did that as well....it also shows shows just 2 boot entries: Windows 10 and Windows 8.1

8. NavyLCDR New Member

K. What are the results of just the bcdedit command run from an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt? No options, just bcdedit by itself.

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  9. Yeah, here in bcdedit, the other unneeded entries rear their ugly heads. Looks like I gotta reformat the BCD. Please advice on this process.

Here are the results from the simple bcdedit command:

10. NavyLCDR New Member
    First, do you have a drive letter assigned to the partition containing the BCD? From BCDEdit, it is volume 2 on what looks like probably the first hard drive. You'll have to have a drive letter assigned to it. Then when you run EasyBCD - go to the file menu, Select BCD, browse to the BCD store contained in the EFI\Microsoft\Boot folder. See if the big boot menu with the extra items shows up in EasyBCD there. Then edit that boot menu and save.

Or you can run a series of BCDEdit delete commands like:

bcdedit /delete {d42218b5-c58f-11e5-a5a4-86dc896b6dce} /cleanup

should remove the PCI LAN entry from the menu.

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  11. Firstly, how do I assign a drive letter to the partition containing the BCD? How do I locate the partition that contains the BCD. Is it the partition that contains the EFI System Partition? I am trying to assign a drive letter to the EFI system partition from the Windows 10 OS, but the option is greyed out when I right click the EFI System Partition.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    It might be easier just to use the BCDEdit delete commands - you won't need a drive letter assigned for that.

I'm not sure if diskpart commands will assign a drive letter to the EFI system partition or not:

Diskpart
    Select Disk 0
    Select Volume 2
    Assign
    Exit

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  13. Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader

Thanks for the continued patience. I have managed to assign a drive letter to the EFI partition, however when I try to access it, I am presented with a permission denied request (seems reasonable):

It turns out the EFI partition was volume 4, not volume 2 as I assumed. Anyways, I was able to assign the partition.

I tried to get to the security tab, but because this is a special partition, it isn't present in the drive properties window:

What should I do now? Also, how would I use the BCDedit delete commands as you mentioned?

EDIT: See below, following up on previous advice.

14. Upon your 1st point (navigating to EFI\Microsoft\Boot folder): the big boot menu with extra items doesn't show up here.

I am going through your second piece of advice now (running bcdedit /delete commands on the unneeded entries).

Thank you

15. Looks like it worked! Came across this nasty message upon reboot, but it fixed itself and displayed the only 2 boot entries that I was interested in seeing:

Why did this happen when I used EasyBCD? If you know, I would love to know the answer.

Thema:

1. Multiple and unneeded boot devices on Metro Bootloader - Similar Threads - Multiple unneeded boot

2. Bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader: Hello I tried to create a USB external SSD portable Ubuntu. I followed the online instructions so as not to affect my bootloader. Guess what, it affected my bootloader . Without doing a clean install is there a way to restore the bootloader which is relatively...
  3. Cant boot into BIOS or BOOTLOADER

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant boot into BIOS or BOOTLOADER: I cant boot into my BIOS or BOOTLOADER anymore, dont know why, when i press DELETE (which is my BIOS button) i get a blank screen and the computer doesnt seem to go past POST - same with F12 any ideas? i have win10 1909 CPU i5 ivy bridge (v3) 12Gb RAM Samsung SSD Gigabyte...
  4. HELP!!! Can't boot windows, no bootloader.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP!!! Can't boot windows, no bootloader.: I tried to install Arch Linux today. Because of stupid reasons I can't create a bootable partition on my SSD so I can't create a Linux install. I previously dual booted windows with Ubuntu, so now my Ubuntu install is gone I have no bootloader, as it previously used grub. I...
  5. Metro Bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Metro Bootloader: I just did a dual boot with windows 10 and windows 7 and all I get is the black and white bootloader. Before I partitioned my drive and installed windows 7 I had the Metro bootloader with my windows 10 and Macrium Reflect but after installing windows 7 on the new partition...
  6. Bootloader issues with multi-boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader issues with multi-boot: I'm trying to dual-boot Win 10 (64-bit) and WinXP (32-bit). If I try to go to WinXP, the entire system just restarts, then restarts once more when I get back into the bootloader. I tried using Dual Boot Repair, but all it did was add a redundant item to my bootloader menu....
  7. Help getting Metro Boot Screen Back

in Windows 10 Support
    Help getting Metro Boot Screen Back: Help! I've tried everything I know to get the Metro (blue) boot screen back, but all I get is the old 7-style B/W screen. I've done the BCDEDIT stuff (bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard), SFC /SCANNOW, re-booted back and forth 10 to 8.1 back to 10. Very annoying!...
  8. Automatic boot using the UFEI bootloader

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic boot using the UFEI bootloader: How can I configure Win 10 to automatically use the UFEI OS bootloader rather than the default Windows (BIOS) bootloader? 68207
  9. Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup: Hello, all. I'm triple-booting (or trying to) on two hard drives: one has XP (32-bit) and 10 (64-bit) and one has Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit). If I try to boot into XP, my whole system restarts. When I try to go back to Windows bootloader, my system restarts a second time....
  10. Metro bootloader not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Metro bootloader not working.: I have a dual boot system, 7x64 pro and 10x64 pro. Everything works fine if I use the Legacy bootloader. If I switch it to the metro bootloader, using EasyBCD, the system boots directly into W10 without ever showing a bootloader screen. [img] Anyone have a clue how to...