Windows 10: Multiple audio devices 1 jack

Discus and support Multiple audio devices 1 jack in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've googled this endlessly with no result and I'm guessing it isn't possible but I may as well ask. My laptop has one audio/mic port. I'm cheap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Xenom, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Xenom Win User

Multiple audio devices 1 jack

I've googled this endlessly with no result and I'm guessing it isn't possible but I may as well ask.

My laptop has one audio/mic port. I'm cheap and had a splitter laying around, my headphones, and a set of ear buds with a mic on it I combined to use as a headset.

This works fine, however, since the sound output is being split to both my ear buds and headphones, it doesn't sound as good and some things are faint, which isn't good for gaming.

Is there a way to manage my audio devices so that my ear buds is mic only and no sound, and my headphones get all the sound? I've found no options in Windows, just playback (speakers) and recording (mic). I assume because it's only one jack it isn't, but it can't hurt to ask.

:)

Xenom, Jun 3, 2016

2. Headphones microphone is not working properly on Windows 10.

Best guess is to make sure you have the OEM audio driver that is current. Windows 10 installs more generic drivers that sometimes do not work well. Also go into Classic Control Panel and look for audio chip device app listed under Hardware and Sound. This
    should be installed to give you access to audio chip settings. This is where you can verify Mic and speaker settings and what the audio Jack is supposed to do. Many jacks now support multiple inputs such as headphones, headphones with mic or speaker. Some
    you have to manually select what device is being connected.

jescott418, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Realtek HD audio - low volume

I had it fixed after a certain time. There were multiple reasons, including audio cables, manipulating Mono/Stereo setting in Windows, trying different audio stream devices for back/front panel jacks. Unfortunately, I can't tell the exact reason why it
    was happening. It seems like miscommunication between Windows and BIOS.

Andrey Welsh, Jun 3, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

CountMike, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Xenom Win User
    I got ya, so basically by plugging the earbuds into the mic slot, that cancels the sound.

Xenom, Jun 3, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    I would not say I was an expert but generally I find plugging the earphones into the earphone socket works well. That will be the green one.

You can also plug the microphone into the microphone socket if you like. This is not required if you only want to listen.. That one is normally Yellow.

I have found (in my life) that randomly sticking things into the wrong hole doesn't help you but if you can pull it out and stick it in the other one it will probably work.

lx07, Jun 3, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Yeah, it does that. With that spliter you could plug your earbuds in Mic side to use as microphone and your proper earphones in output plug of the spliter. Or you can get a proper microphone if you want to.

CountMike, Jun 3, 2016
  8. Xenom Win User

I'm actually a huge idiot and never thought of just plugging my headphones into my TV and my mic into my laptop.

Xenom, Jun 3, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Good catch but you didn't mention TV at all, I though you are talking laptop only.

CountMike, Jun 3, 2016
  10. Xenom Win User
    Yeah I didn't think it was relevant, haha.

Xenom, Jun 3, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    That way you are probably getting even better sound if it's connected via HDMI, it's digital.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple audio devices 1 jack - Similar Threads - Multiple audio devices

2. Audio devices connected through the audio jack not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio devices connected through the audio jack not working.: Was working fine until today. Audio input is detected but no audio is coming through. USB audio devices work fine when connected. The audio troubleshooter says that the windows audio services are not responding. When i try to update the audio drivers through device manager,...
  3. Audio devices connected through the audio jack not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio devices connected through the audio jack not working.: Was working fine until today. Audio input is detected but no audio is coming through. USB audio devices work fine when connected. The audio troubleshooter says that the windows audio services are not responding. When i try to update the audio drivers through device manager,...
  4. Audio devices connected through the audio jack not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Onboard audio jacks not picking up devices.

Onboard audio jacks not picking up devices.: My speakers plugged into my onboard audio jacks are not detected by windows. The only devices detected are my USB headphones and my monitor which has an audio out but nothing is plugged in. I have spent the last two days trying everything from reinstalling drivers to changing...
  6. audio jack

audio jack: Hello, I bought a mic to use for a project I'm doing, but my Laptop Dell inspiron i5-5th doesn't recognize it. The mic description did say i could get an audio splitter ,which i did but it still doesnt recognize it. This isnt my first mic, so i'm quite sure it's not the...
  7. Audio Devices Not Working: audio jacks do not detect devices.

Audio Devices Not Working: audio jacks do not detect devices.: So I was encountering another issue with my PC unrelated to my audio jacks USB drops, which we figured out the problem it was iCUE and brought it in to get fixed. When the person was looking it over, he deleted my audio drivers and when he rebooted it, they never returned. He...
  8. Audio Devices Not Working: audio jacks do not detect devices.

Audio Devices Not Working: audio jacks do not detect devices.: So I was encountering another issue with my PC unrelated to my audio jacks USB drops, which we figured out the problem it was iCUE and brought it in to get fixed. When the person was looking it over, he deleted my audio drivers and when he rebooted it, they never returned. He...
  9. Audio Devices Not Working: audio jacks do not detect devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Audio Jack Device Option

Audio Jack Device Option: I recently re-installed Windows 10 pro on my Acer laptop. One of the first things I did was to verify the sound worked with the headphones. When the audio device option dialog popped up, I accidentally clicked on headphones with microphone and then clicked don't ask again....