Windows 10: Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup

Discus and support Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am using "Windows 7" Backup. This is not about "Create a System Image" feature or any third-party software. I noticed that my backup drive now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerrythesurfer, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup

I am using "Windows 7" Backup. This is not about "Create a System Image" feature or any third-party software.

I noticed that my backup drive now has many "Backup Sets" under the <My Computer Name>. I think I understand that a "Backup Set" should contain a Full backup and then a series of increments backups. Can someone please confirm this?

I don't under how I could have created multiple Backup Set; whether it was forced by something I did or for some reason Windows 10 just decided to create multiple Sets.

I would be grateful for anyone who can shed some light on the matter.

Thanks, Jerry

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Aug 31, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 Backup missing files

In my opinion you would be much better served with third-party backup software instead of Windows 10's clumsy backup utility. There are many good quality third-party backup programs that are more reliable and have many more features. Look for these
    important backup features:

• define multiple, different backup jobs
    • schedule backup jobs in advance
    • set a retention schedule (keep the last 10 backups, the last 30 days of backups, etc.)
    • incremental and differential backups
    • store backups in multiple ways
    • restore backups to the same or a different computer
    • verify backups
    • selectable compression
    and more.

BulldogXX, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Nokia 5500 Sport - no stopwatch?

Hey, you're right. Actually I had forgotten about that. It's a pity that it doesn't suit motorsports or any other precise measurements because it doesn't have hundredths of seconds but it's a start. It's also annoying that it saves the exercise data everytime
    I simply want to time an activity.

Thanks though.

backup---01, Aug 31, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup

To be honest, about the only use I have for Backup & Restore these days IS the System Image. It's not the most versatile way to back up user files, and you are recommended by Microsoft to use File History instead (and recommended to use Macrium by most users here). One advantage of File History is that the files are stored in their original format and worse case you could just browse the history folder and manually take a copy of a file. Backup and restore uses multiple zip files and needs a catalog to find anything.

Having said all that, if you want to learn how Windows 10's 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' works you are in the wrong place. I doubt that you'll find many here that use it. As nothing has changed since Windows 7 the best place to look would be our sister-site SevenForums. There are several of Brink's tutorials there that go into some detail...

SevenForums - Windows 7: Backup User and System Files
    SevenForums - Windows 7: Restore Backup User and System Files

...and there are 'related tutorials' links at the bottom of each that are also worth exploring.

Thema:

Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup

1. Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup - Similar Threads - Multiple Backup Sets

2. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup using multiple softwares: Recently I've been thinking of backup my laptop and I was scouting a suitable software. But I am in a dilemma of choosing it mainly because there are no software that is perfect. I mean every software has its disadvantages or bad user experience etc. So I was wondering, is it...
  3. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Gaming
    backup using multiple softwares: Recently I've been thinking of backup my laptop and I was scouting a suitable software. But I am in a dilemma of choosing it mainly because there are no software that is perfect. I mean every software has its disadvantages or bad user experience etc. So I was wondering, is it...
  4. backup using multiple softwares

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Backup in Settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup in Settings: When I go Into Settings>Backup, to back on an external drive, t takes a long time to 'load'. I then select More Options which eventually 'loads' and then select Backup. Why is there a problem going to the page I want? Also when I put the USB for the external backup drive it...
  6. Backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup in Settings: When I go Into Settings>Backup, to back on an external drive, t takes a long time to 'load'. I then select More Options which eventually 'loads' and then select Backup. Why is there a problem going to the page I want? Also when I put the USB for the external backup drive it...
  7. Backup of multiple drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup of multiple drives: Backup seems to only be backing up the C: drive. I have 2 other external hard drives as well as an additions internal drive I would like to back up. How can I setup the backup facility to cover drives D: K: L: ?...
  8. Settings backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Settings backup: Hey, Do you guys know if windows 10 supports any kind of sharing or importing settings? I often have to install fresh copy of windows and set up same things over and over again. Is there any shortcut that could help me save some time? submitted by /u/Eldojosh [link]...
  9. Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Settings: On June 28th the drive that contains the backup for all my "C" drive was nearly full so I formatted the drive, then set the backup to run daily and to keep the backups for 1 month. Here it is August 18 and back still runs to the backup drive. I "Assumed" that the backup...
  10. Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Settings: Is there a way to backup Display Brightness settings, including the ones in Control Panel? 67849