Windows 10: Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops

Discus and support Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T. 7293 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tabvla, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Tabvla Win User

Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops

Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...?

T.

:)

Tabvla, Jun 21, 2015
  2. Agent66 Win User

Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Pinned apps aren't too annoying and it's a feature that DisplayFusion (which I'm using for taskbars) is actually working on.

For the second point - I can't move applications from one monitor to another. IE, if Outlook opens on my LEFT monitor, I absolutely can not move it to the RIGHT. you
    cannot, I think, move windows when in tablet mode. when maximised the window should automatically restore down as you move it.

This is Windows 8 didn't work out - not everyone uses a tablet, especially not for work. I'm using a desktop and this instance that everyone is on mobile is probably the biggest sign that Microsoft has no
    idea what people use computers for.

I appreciate you trying to figure out my issues, but this is absolutely something Microsoft should have considered before even creating this OS. This especially makes no sense when Windows is the primary OS
    in most enterprise environments. Why would developers NOT think employees would use multiple monitors? Why would they believe that having two desktops wouldn't mean having TWO different desktops? Why would they think people wouldn't prefer having certain apps/programs
    on certain screens?

Feedback does nothing. I was one of the insiders during the beta of Windows 10 and issues that were being reported there are STILL being reported now in the actual release. What exactly is the point of having
    beta testers if you aren't ACTUALLY take feedback and APPLY it? I know it seems I'm anti-Windows, but I'm not, however that doesn't mean that I'm happy about issues that I shouldn't be having in the first place.

Yes, I'm sure there will be some bugs here and there, but what's troubling is when bugs that cropped up during beta weren't addressed before release and worse, simple common sense on how people use computers
    hasn't even been considered when designing this OS.

Agent66, Jun 21, 2015
  3. K. Loney Win User
    Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

I don't know if this is what the person you're replying to was looking for, but it's definitely what the OP and I were looking for, and has made my life so much better, thank you!

K. Loney, Jun 21, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Why not try both and let us know what you think *Smile

Ztruker, Jun 21, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 21, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    I wouldn't say that exactly... Dexpot and other virtual desktop apps tend to have a lot of issues that I haven't seen in Task View, such as apps locking themselves to all desktops because they refuse to hide (they show themselves again as soon as you hide). Or where apps want your attention and suddenly "move" themselves to your current desktop.

I've yet to find a single third party virtual desktop tool that works correctly for every situation. I haven't run into any problems with Task View, although Task View does not have as many features as many of the other ones.

Mystere, Jun 21, 2015
  7. Agreed.

I personally prefer the GNOME2-style some Linux Distros use to indicate what is on each virtual desktop (panel applet).

Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops [​IMG]

VirtuaWin +KvasdoPager toolbar (which I use in W7) is very similar.

Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops [​IMG]

In W10TP, I do like the way you can open a new virtual desktop by dropping a program window onto the "New Virtual Desktop" button.

lehnerus2000, Jun 22, 2015
  8. Tabvla Win User

Thanks for the replies and diverse opinions, which really do help in broadening one's view of a subject.

The link provided by Brink in Post #3 was especially useful. The comment by Mystere in Post #4 is of particular interest.

My personal preference, in any Windows environment, is to try to get the best out of the utilities provided by Microsoft, as one may expect that MS would be best placed to seamlessly integrate their products with the OS. Historically MS have been woefully deficient in providing really good "add-ons" to Windows and for the most part 3rd-party utilities have done a superior job.

But that may be changing...... Windows Defender; File History; System Image Backup; Automatic Maintenance; Windows Firewall; Family Safety; Speech Recognition...... to mention just a few, are all very competent, stable utilities with a small footprint and low overhead - and for the most part do an adequate job for many users.

If W10 Multiple Desktops can do the job that most users require then there has to be a really good reason to use a 3rd-party product - and of course there might well be many good reasons - that is what I would like to determine.

T.

Tabvla, Jun 22, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    I do hope they add more functionality to TaskView as the insider builds go on after RTM. Things like unique wallpapers per virtual desktop, the ability to define apps to exist on more than one desktop (good for IM and other kinds of apps you need to see all the time), etc...

Mystere, Jun 22, 2015
  10. Tabvla Win User
    Agree. TaskView in its current form is functional but very thin on depth of user requirements.

T.

Tabvla, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops - Similar Threads - Multiple Desktops Virtual

2. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup: I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the desktop on both screens. I want only the active or primary display should switch display when the action triggers. I am open to...
  3. Virtual Desktops between multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops between multiple displays: When are you going to incorporate the option for multiple desktops between multiple displays, instead of just an extended display? This would be really useful. Thank you....
  4. Multiple Virtual Desktops on one view

Multiple Virtual Desktops on one view: OS Build 18363.1316 I have a very large monitor that I would like to "split" into four sections and with each section running a separate virtual desktop. I hope to have four virtual desktops "active" on one monitor at a time Is is possible to snap virtual desktops rather...
  5. Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10: I bought a second monitor recently and everything was working as expected till I started switching between the Virtual Desktops. Whenever I switch the Virtual Desktops in one monitor, it switches in the other monitor as well, is there a way I can display a different virtual...
  6. Multiple / Virtual Desktop

Multiple / Virtual Desktop: I have a Surface Pro 7, running Windows 10 2004. Why can I not get multiple Desktop's?? Is this because I have the home version?? Mark https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-virtual-desktop/5eb125ba-d29a-40c7-b926-8621ad167ad7
  7. Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor

Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor: Hi everyone, I need some help with switching virtual desktops. I used to have a MacBook pro and I was able to switch between multiple desktops on both my laptop and the monitor external display. I wasn't to be able to do the same, however when I switch desktops on my...
  8. Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors

Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors: I was delighted to find Windows now has Virtual Desktops which I love. I like having all my work windows on one desktop and then any personal browsing and messaging applications on another. However and this is my use case I work on two monitors with my IDE Development...
  9. Expanding a Window Across Multiple Virtual Desktops

Expanding a Window Across Multiple Virtual Desktops: I, like many users, am working from home. I access the majority of my workplace applications via a connection that is a single window of my workplace desktop. What would be very valuable is to have that window which contains a dozen or so working windows/apps at any one...
  10. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...