Windows 10: Multiple different BSODs since day 1 of laptop ownership

Discus and support Multiple different BSODs since day 1 of laptop ownership in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, Just received a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5" and instead of new found joy, this is where my headache began. At first boot, I was already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by overcrash, Aug 26, 2018.

1. overcrash Win User

Multiple different BSODs since day 1 of laptop ownership

Hi all,

Just received a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5" and instead of new found joy, this is where my headache began.
    At first boot, I was already greeted by a BSOD.
    And those brushes with BSODs were increasingly frequent with each passing day.
    Some might ask why i am not returning the laptop since it is new.
    I imported this from China and to return it is a very painful experience in terms of cost and time.
    Not to mention the almost-all negatives experiences i read about users who tried to RMA.
    Also, i had open up the rear of the laptop for a thermal mod and inserted a new PCIe M2 SSD.
    I had also reinstalled the Chinese windows home single language to the same but with English language instead.

BSODs are usually hardware or software related.
    I did what I know of to stress test the hardware:

- Memtest86 - passed 10 passes without any error.
    - Prime95 - ran over 13 hours with any BSOD.
    - HD Tune and Bart's stress test to test the SSD - no issues; no bad sectors
    - Furmark for the integrated graphics - no issues after more than 12 hours

Temps never go beyond 70 degrees during the stress test above (usually in an air con room and with a laptop cooler below).

Initially, I also suspected it could be either the SATA SSD or the SATA SSD connection. I reseated the SATA SSD, no improvement.
    I tried a PCIe SSD in a different slot and removed the SATA SSD - again no improvement.
    So I can almost confirm this is not a SSD issue.

Hardware is more or less safe, although I am still skeptical about the processor/graphics/ram and the biggest issue is.... the ram is soldered on.

On the driver side of things, i tried a few things.
    I backup all drivers with Double Drivers and also found a resource on the Xiaomi forum sharing all drivers for my model/make.
    Did a fresh install of Windows, went through all the Windows Updates and automatically search for drivers one by one. Not forgetting the Intel stuffs - graphics, bluetooth and wireless, through Intel website.

Right after which, I began testing for stability.
    Testing was simple, whether I can go through a 24 hours cycle without a BSOD, running Youtube on Chrome.
    With inputs from BlueScreenView and research on the BSOD, it seems like my BSODs are typically Intel drivers related.

So i went on to test with different versions of drivers:
    - Intel Graphics - 24.20.100.6025, 24.20.100.6136, 24.20.100.6229
    - Intel Bluetooth - 20.60.0, 20.70.0
    - Intel Wifi - 20.30.1, 20.50.0, 20.70.0

My worst result was hitting BSODs every 2-3 hours.
    Best result came with the following combi - (graphics/wifi/BT) 24.20.100.6025, 20.70.0, 20.70.0 - over 13 hours and no BSOD
    Tested with a 1080p file on VLC and I could get over 18 hours with no BSOD.

I dont have the whole collection of BSODs but I managed to get the last 3 (uploaded in the mini dump):
    - driver overran stack buffer
    - page fault in nonpaged area
    - irql not less or equal.

So far if i am not streaming video files, it seems ok.
    This thread is typed on the very same problematic laptop.

I am starting to concede defeat in this battle and reaching out for help in this forum is my last resort.
    Thanks in advance guys (before this laptop becomes a USD 500 paperweight)

:)

overcrash, Aug 26, 2018
  2. cplpro Win User

7 different BSoD

Hey guys,

I have a serious problem. I make it as short as possible:

• system runs 100 % fine with the 10.12
    • updatet to Catalyst 11.1 -> BSoD
    • updatet to 11.1 Hotfix -> BSoD
    • rollback to 10.12 -> BSoD
    • removed ALL AMD files manually, installed 10.12 -> BSoD
    • Temps are fine
    • no sfc /scannow errors
    • no chkdsk errors
    • Prime, Furmark all fine
    • regardless what driver I install -> BSoD
    • I did no hw changes, no OC
    Here are my BSoDs I receive:
    • 0x0000010e
    • 0x1000007e
    • 0x0000007e
    • 0x0000004e
    • 0x0000003b
    • dxgmms1.sys
    • PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    They all refer to the GPU of course ...

From now on I receive a BSoD every time I try to play a game (especially BC2 and SC II) even if I completely remove the old driver and make a clean install.
    Apparently the 11.1 damaged my system irreparable.

Any advice or info would be very much appreciated *Smile Multiple different BSODs since day 1 of laptop ownership :)

cplpro, Aug 26, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Multiple BSOD

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can understand how frustrating it could be when things go unusual. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if this helps:

Method 1: Uninstall and re-install the drivers.

Step 1: I suggest you to uninstall the Graphic Card Drivers and then re-install them.

Follow these steps to uninstall the drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager.

• Search for Graphic card and expand it.

• Right click on the driver and select
      Uninstall.
    Step 2: I suggest you to re-install the drivers, go to the manufacturer’s website to download the graphic drivers for your laptop and then install them.

Refer the below link:

AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

Method 2: You can try installing the drivers in compatibility mode and check if this helps:

• Press the ‘Windows key on the keyboard.

• Type compatibility in the search box and then press enter.

• Click “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” option from the list appeared in the left side.

• Select the drivers and install.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Deepak..Raghav, Aug 26, 2018
  4. jccjulio Win User

Different kinds of BSODs, multiple times a day

Hello! I'm relatively new here. Just wanted your help because of the numerous BSODs per day that I'm having.

Here are my problems:
    1. BSOD whenever I unplug or plug my charger
    2. BSOD whenever I use Photoshop
    3. BSOD (sometimes) when I connect to the internet

I really do not know what's causing the BSODs. I've read different threads and followed instructions but nothing seems to work. The BSODs appearing are:

1. IRQL less or equal
    2. kernel security check failure
    3. driver overran stack buffer
    4. kmode exception not handled

Above are some of the stated reasons for the BSODs. I have tried updating all the drivers and it seemed to work for a short while but another blue screen happened again. Minidump rar file attached

My laptop (ASUS):
    CPU: Intel Core i7 - 5500U, up to 3.0 GHz
    Video Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE 940 M
    RAM: 4GB
    HDD: 1TB

Hope you can help me! Thanks!

jccjulio, Aug 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple different BSODs since day 1 of laptop ownership - Similar Threads - Multiple different BSODs

2. Multiple BSODs every day. Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple BSODs every day. Laptop.: I will break this post up into sections for easy digestion. The "culprits" of the crashes, the errors they cause, the steps I've taken to try to figure it out or fix it, and my system specs. Any information or help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated!Multiple...
  3. Multiple BSODs every day for different reasons??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSODs every day for different reasons??: I've had a lot of computer troubles lately. Custom build, worked fine the last 4 years, suddenly blue screened on Friday which started a cascade of issues leading to me completely wiping my drives and starting again. Fresh install of Windows, fully updated, and slowly...
  4. Multiple BSODs every day for different reasons??

Multiple BSODs every day for different reasons??: I've had a lot of computer troubles lately. Custom build, worked fine the last 4 years, suddenly blue screened on Friday which started a cascade of issues leading to me completely wiping my drives and starting again. Fresh install of Windows, fully updated, and slowly...
  5. Multiple BSODs every day for different reasons??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Laptop freezing problem since day 1.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezing problem since day 1.: So I have a laptop with mediocre specs 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD and a clock speed of 2.3 GHz. I had ordered it online. It freezes a lot and until I shut it downwhich takes a lot of time since it's frozen, it won't be normal again. Sometimes, I do not have the time to do this and I...
  7. Laptop freezing problem since day 1.

Laptop freezing problem since day 1.: So I have a laptop with mediocre specs 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD and a clock speed of 2.3 GHz. I had ordered it online. It freezes a lot and until I shut it downwhich takes a lot of time since it's frozen, it won't be normal again. Sometimes, I do not have the time to do this and I...
  8. Laptop freezing problem since day 1.

9. Multiple BSODs a day for different reasons.

Multiple BSODs a day for different reasons.: I built my PC last year and have suffered from BSODs ever since. Sometimes it can be more than once a day, with them happening one after the other repeatedly. They don't happen when I'm doing anything specifically, it is mostly random. I would say maybe it happens more...
  10. Different kinds of BSODs, multiple times a day

Different kinds of BSODs, multiple times a day: Hello! I'm relatively new here. Just wanted your help because of the numerous BSODs per day that I'm having. Here are my problems: 1. BSOD whenever I unplug or plug my charger 2. BSOD whenever I use Photoshop 3. BSOD (sometimes) when I connect to the internet I...