Windows 10: Multiple Documents, etc folders

Discus and support Multiple Documents, etc folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by maarkr, Aug 11, 2015.

1. maarkr Win User

Multiple Documents, etc folders

My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive?

:)

maarkr, Aug 11, 2015
  2. whburling Win User

Changing the name of my default folders (W10) creates side effects

RATIONALE FOR CHANGING DEFAULT FOLDER NAMES:

I have multiple computers on my LAN all connected to one account in the cloud. In the cloud I end up with multiple "Documents" folders and Music folders etc. Which computer owns which "Documents" folder? Which Music folder? etc.

It makes sense to me that if I change the default folder names to include the computer name then I always know the origin of the default folders. Ie: Mist Documents informs me that the documents within are stored on the computer Mist.

The GUI interface grayed out the folder name preventing me from using the standard interface to change their names.

Windows 10 allowed me to change the default folder names if I used the command window. Which I did.

The content is, indeed, in the folder with the changed name. Thus the process appeared to work. I then rebooted.

THE PROBLEM

If i reboot, the operating system (W10) adds the original default folder names on new folders. My data is in the folder with the changed default folder name. Ie: Mist Documents does contain my documents. But now I have not only Mist Documents but also
    "Documents" which contains only the minimal default internal folders that all Document default folders contain. If I delete these empty (of my content) default folders, the o/s recreates them upon the next rebooting.

OBJECTIVE

To instruct the operating system to NOT add a "Documents" folder or any other default folder to the User's first level directory (c:\users\username\)

and to ensure that the OS treats my renamed default folders in the same way as the OS treated my original default folders.

whburling, Aug 11, 2015
  3. MOSO_1010 Win User
    Move Windows 10 Personal Folders to a separate partition on same hard drive

How do I move Personal Folders in Windows 10 to a separate partition on the same hard drive? Will future program installations automatically use this new location to store personal files such as documents, downloads, pictures, ...etc.? And will Windows
    10 work well with multiple partitions?

MOSO_1010, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

Multiple Documents, etc folders

1. Multiple Documents, etc folders - Similar Threads - Multiple Documents etc

2. All main folders (Documents etc) in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All main folders (Documents etc) in OneDrive: I've never setup OneDrive to back anything up, it's not even installed on my computer. My Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc. are in my This PC directory, but the actual file path has OneDrive in it. (Everything is in C:/Users/MyUser/OneDrive). I have existing folders for all...
  3. Multiple documents folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple documents folders: I am so confused by the number of Documents folders on my computer. In the Users folder under my name are two, one that seems to have the files compressed, the other doesn't. Then under My PC is another Documents folder. I never know where things go when I am saving to...
  4. Multiple documents folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple documents folders: I am so confused by the number of Documents folders on my computer. In the Users folder under my name are two, one that seems to have the files compressed, the other doesn't. Then under My PC is another Documents folder. I never know where things go when I am saving to...
  5. Multiple documents folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Multiple instances of Documents, Pictures, etc. in Libraries - How to remove the "extras"?

Multiple instances of Documents, Pictures, etc. in Libraries - How to remove the "extras"?: This seems to be a weird problem. The screen shot should help. [ATTACH] In File explorer we have a hierarchy of file and folders displayed, as usual. However, for Pictures, Music, and Documents we see duplicate items listed when the expand arrow is clicked. The contents...
  7. Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives

Moving Documents/Pictures/etc folders between drives: I've recently got a new laptop with SSD and HDD. When the laptop arrived, all the user library folders such as Documents, Pictures etc were set up to be on the C: drive SSD, all linked to OneDrive. I wanted to move them on the the HDD, which is something I've managed fine on...
  8. Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder

Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder: I'm using Win10. In My Documents I've found I have 2 of each of Pictures, Documents and Desktop folders. Although one of the Desktop folders is empty the other Documents and Pictures folders each have items in them. I think that they are local storage and OneDrive storage...
  9. Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders: Hello! I just reassigned my default Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc. folders to folders on my secondary drive to save space on my performance drive. All the little emblems updated for each folder, except for the Pictures and Documents folders, and my OCD isn't liking it....
  10. Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc: You might want to check out this tutorial also Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials