Windows 10: Multiple instances of the same folder open

Discus and support Multiple instances of the same folder open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes. Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Multiple instances of the same folder open

I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes.

Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember.

I can open the same folder from a desktop shortcut in an unlimited amount of instances. I can find my desktop toolbar filling up with buttons from the same folder.

Have I enabled some setting to cause this?

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Aug 21, 2018
  2. Berton Win User

How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer?

Rather than use Photos I changed the Open with to Windows Photo Viewer then double-clicking a file in Pictures opened in Windows Photo Viewer which let me click the arrow to step through all the images in that Folder.

Berton, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Ken451 Win User
    Multiple Instances of Documents folder Under "This PC"

I'm running the latest version of windows 10 64 bit pro (as of 8/19/15). I've redirected all file folders under my user account to OneDrive, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos and shared them with the home group. The problem arises anytime I make
    changes to any of the listed folders (Cut, copy, paste, new file, delete file) produce multiple instances of the folder that I've preformed the action on under "This PC" in file explorer. Those copies remain there until I close and reopen Explorer. I'm at
    a complete loss whether it's the redirect or the share that's causing this but, it's most annoying. I have turned on and off sharing with the home group with no change in behavior. I have searched everywhere I can think of but, cannot find a similar situation.
    Any help or suggestions on where to look for help will be appreciated.

Ken451, Aug 21, 2018
  4. H3K
    h3k Win User

Multiple instances of the same folder open

How to open multiple images in same instance of Photo Viewer?

Wow, thanks a lot for replying so quickly! In other forums I sometimes have to wait for days for a reply *Smile

I also have Builld 10240 and Windows Photo Viewer is already set as my default program for all picture formats.
    Stepping through all images in a folder works for me but sometimes I only want to select just a few images in a folder (by clicking on each image while holding down CTRL) and step through this selection in Windows Photo Viewer. When I select 5 images in a folder that contains 100 images and I hit enter, 5 instances of Windows Photo Viewer open up.
    Edwin, did I get this right that on your PC this operation only opens one instance of Photo Viewer?

PS: Since English isn't my mother tongue, maybe sometimes my explanations aren't that easy to follow. Please bear with me *Redface

Thema:

Multiple instances of the same folder open

1. Multiple instances of the same folder open - Similar Threads - Multiple instances same

2. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  3. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  4. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  5. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

"Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  6. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  8. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  9. Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10

Stop multiple instances of the same folder opening in Windows 10: I have just set up a new Windows 10 workstation. I have noticed that the same folder can be opened many times simultaneously in separate windows, cluttering up the system tray.I have tried changing the folder options, but this makes no difference.. Naturally I want to...
  10. Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?

Searching for multiple instances of the same file in different folders?: Is there a way in Windows graphical search, or even Powershell command-line to search for any instances of a file name that appears multiple times on the same drive?...