Windows 10: Multiple Issues After Resetting Laptop

Discus and support Multiple Issues After Resetting Laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I recently reset my laptop and since then I've been experiencing a whole host of issues: Windows search bar doesn't work Shop app won't open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Clem, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Clem Win User

Multiple Issues After Resetting Laptop

Hi,

I recently reset my laptop and since then I've been experiencing a whole host of issues:

• Windows search bar doesn't work
    • Shop app won't open
    • Won't allow me to change location settings
    • Clock/calendar on my toolbar is unresponsive when I click on it

Any ideas what the problem might be, please? Advice / suggestions are very much appreciated!

Cheers,

:)

2. Multiple Issues After PC Reset

We appreciate your response. We suggest that you perform a clean boot. It will help us determine if there is a third-party program/app that is causing this issue. It could be some other applications or programs. To do this, see this
    link, and follow the steps and instructions.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jul 10, 2017
  3. Multiple Issues After PC Reset

Some rogue app was utilizing 100% of my disk, so I decided to do a PC Reset from the Recovery Menu. Resetting did fix the disk usage issue, but now I'm facing a lot of issues. The search in the start menu doesn't work, the user added shortcuts in the start
    menu don't work, can't open Windows Apps like Store and Maps. I can't even change the region and date-time format of the system. Changing the region from settings, changes it back to Afghanistan and the region button in the Control Panel doesn't do anything
    at all. The only way I was able to change the region, was by editing the registry. All the other issues still exist. Heck, I was not even able to post a feedback using the Feedback Hub, so now I'm using the browser version.

What I have tried :

Reinstalling the Windows Apps using Powershell, WSReset, Creating a new user account (on creating a new account, the store does app open, but doesn't connect to the store).

My windows is fully up-to-date.

Moved from:
    Windows
    /
    Windows 10
    /
    Windows update, recovery, & backup

manan.kukreti, Jul 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, first try checking your disk just in case:
    Download, install and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.

If ok, do this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

If ok, create a new user for test purposes and check the above.
    If all is ok, your user profile is corrupt, and continuing will not help you. If so, you will need to transfer to the new user profile.

If you see the same problems when logged in as the new user, try an in-place upgrade repair install - which keeps all programs and data and most settings.

I don't know what your build is: check using
    windows key + X, winver

If you are running the Creator's build 15063, then proceed as below (if you already have a Creator's build iso or bootable medium- recommended for repair purposes- you can use that)

Otherwise, if you have build 14393, then following the instructions below will upgrade to the Creator's build.
    If you wish to stay with 14393 you will need to either use an iso/bootable medium you already have, or download an iso for 14393.

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

You should also make sure there's at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium. However, this will be the latest build from MS, which may not be the build you have installed. You must use one for the same major build.

If your installed Windows is not the latest major build, please post back.

However, this will be the latest build from MS, which may not be the build you have installed. You must use one for the same major build.

If your installed Windows is not the latest major build, please post back.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - you keep all your programs
    - you keep all your personal data

However: if you have installed some universal apps on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an obscure error message that you can not keep your apps because they are in an unsupported directory.

"You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory"

- all/most associations will be unchanged
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  5. Clem Win User
    Thanks a lot for this. Hard Disk Sentinel says all is good. I've tried creating a new user, but same problems there. I ran the chkdsk, but now when it comes to viewing it in the logs, the only log I can seem to find is the one with the source wininit. Any ideas? Thank you!

6. dalchina New Member
    No more than the 3 alternative links explaining how to access the info, I'm afraid.

You only other option would be to run chkdsk from a boot disk.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  7. Clem Win User
    Okay, I shall keep trying! Would performing a factory reset solve the problem, or could it make it worse?

8. dalchina New Member

IT depends what outcome you want. An in-place upgrade repair will keep a familiar working environment, any partitions you've created etc.

A factory reset would wipe everything and take back to 'as bought'.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  9. Clem Win User
    Hmm, okay, but it should definitely remove the problems? Unless... could it be that the problems arise when Windows begins updating? I'm happy to do a reset... I just don't want to make things worse!

Apologies for all the questions - and thank you so much for your help!

10. dalchina New Member
    There's no guarantee. An in-place repair is a good procedure and worth trying.
    There's no reason why updates should cause those symptoms.

We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging as I said- the ability to revert to a previously working state can obviate the need for technical help.

If you like, you can
    a. create a disk image (I'd recommend that before and after any major change)
    b. try an in-place upgrade repair install
    c. if you then want to you can restore your image and you'll be back as you are.

Anyway a factory reset would wipe anything- an in-place upgrade repair is a lesser step.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple Issues After Resetting Laptop - Similar Threads - Multiple Issues Resetting

2. Persistent drive filling issue on laptop after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent drive filling issue on laptop after factory reset: I recently performed a factory reset on my laptop to address a drive filling issue. However, even after the reset, the problem still persists. The drives on my laptop keep filling up without any apparent reason or action from my side. I have already tried disk cleanup and...
  3. Persistent drive filling issue on laptop after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Persistent drive filling issue on laptop after factory reset: I recently performed a factory reset on my laptop to address a drive filling issue. However, even after the reset, the problem still persists. The drives on my laptop keep filling up without any apparent reason or action from my side. I have already tried disk cleanup and...
  4. Activation issues after reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation issues after reset: I hard reset my computer while it was frozen and I was gaming. It wouldn't restart, so I eventually used the reset windows utility to reset windows but keep my files. It signs in now, but it is saying I need to activate windows. I try and run the commands in the CMD prompt...
  5. Headphone issues after reseting laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphone issues after reseting laptop: Okay so recently I reset my laptop (its an inspiron 13-5378) because I had too much unnecessary files. But now whenever I plug in my headphones, the sound still comes from the laptop speakers. I have to restart my laptop with the headphones plugged in for it to work. But even...
  6. Issue after reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue after reset: Hello, l have reset windows 10 and “remove all data” and it has been more than 24 hours and it is still “ installing windows 64%” “your windows will restart several times” what should l do ?!...
  7. Issues with Blue Screen on multiple laptops

Issues with Blue Screen on multiple laptops: Hello, I need help in pinpointing this issue if possible. Windows 10 64bit laptop Receiving this BSOD on 5 of our laptops in the fleet of 150 laptops over the last 3-4 weeks and I have had no luck in fixing the issue. I have uploaded the dmp file and MSinfo to OneDrive...
  8. Issues after factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues after factory reset: Hello, So u did a factory reaet on my micrisfit surface 1796. After the reset I set up the computer and logged in. When logged in, I noticed that very few of the functions work. I cannot click the windows icon, i cannot open settings, and i cant even open microsoft edge...
  9. Multiple Issues after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple Issues after Windows Update: I have an Asus Zenbook and ever since the latest windows update my keyboard has stopped working. I was able to sign into my laptop using the touch sensor but every time i try typing something in my keyboard it just locks my laptop and brings me back to the sign in screen....
  10. Multiple BSOD issues after adding RAM to laptop

Multiple BSOD issues after adding RAM to laptop: I have an ASUS ROG G751JL that came with 8GB of RAM from the factory. It was upgraded to Windows 10, from Windows 8.1. The laptop has four memory slots, 2 easily accessible and 2 very hard to reach. I added two sticks of 8 GB on the easy to access slots (1 and 3) with the...