Windows 10: Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working

Discus and support Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know a lot of others are plagued by the Start button issue. I am as well. But, also my Calendar and Calculator stopped working as well. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DiscoSlice, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working

I know a lot of others are plagued by the Start button issue. I am as well. But, also my Calendar and Calculator stopped working as well.

I have tried SEVERAL solutions. Re-installing all apps via Powershell, re-installing Windows 10 and creating new accounts. Nothing I do seems to help.

Getting tired of this, especially the Start button failing. thanks.

:)

DiscoSlice, Feb 9, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

When will Microsoft fix the start button and calendar issue?

My Start button works fine - there's no issue with it of which I'm aware. You can find the calculator by searching for it: Click on the search bar or search button and type the word calculator. To make it even easier next time, when the search result comes
    up you can right-click on it and choose either Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar.

How about explaining in some detail what your Start button issue is, or exactly how your calendar doesn't work? There's nothing wrong with either one, so there may be a problem with your configuration that someone here will recognize.

BulldogXX, Feb 9, 2016
  3. CAMCCC Win User
    Windows 10 Calculator

Is there a way to change the settings in Windows 10 Calculator so that pressing the calculator shortcut button on my keyboard gets the calculator to show on top of all other programs and numbers can be typed into the calculator. As it stands now, pressing
    the calculator button multiple times loads multiple calculators, and they aren't even on top. I want one calculator, on top of all other programs, ready to use. My calculator in Windows 7 worked this way. Is there a way to change settings to make this happen?

CAMCCC, Feb 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working

Hi, tends to be more prevalent where people have done upgrades rather than clean installs, but you're reporting clean installs. Never seen a clear explanation of why it happens- I've run Win 10 on 2 PCs with many progs installed and not had significant problems for months.

Note the Powershell commands used to repair apps e.g. break many post build 1511 (10586) unless there's been a recent change.

Bottom line- to fix your PC
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This keeps all settings and programs.

And support it with 3rd party disk imaging, so you can considerably more quickly than the above get your PC back to a working state.

Also enable System Restore, set up a scheduled task to create a restore point e.g. daily. (The tutorial section can help here on creating the restore point)

To try to diagnose its occurrence, keep a simple log of changes to your PC, and try to correlate that with this happening.

See what happens if you boot to Safe Mode when the symptoms occur. If the start menu etc works then, something is conflicting with Windows. If not, sthg's corrupted. Probably.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2016
  5. ok thanks I will try that link you suggested - can you also suggest a 3rd party disk imaging solution? Perhaps something free that is also good?

DiscoSlice, Feb 10, 2016
  6. I tried your fix and unfortunately I have the same problems. Calculator, Calendar still doesn't work and I can't search after I hit the start button. What can I do ? *Sad

DiscoSlice, Feb 10, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Have you ran sfc /scannow from your admin dos prompt?? if not try that and see if it finds errors, and either repair the errors, or does not repair them. If it does not find any errors, then that a good sign.

A good backup image program is Macrium Reflect, free version. *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 10, 2016
  8. Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working

i tried that Old Mike once before and it was ok. A couple of my other friends in Skype chat have this same Start button issue. So I assume it's somewhat of a common problem. i'd hate to have to do a clean install again.

DiscoSlice, Feb 10, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Well I have windows on 2 computers, one is about 7 years old, they never had a problem like yours. So you have done something to mess it up. We just have to figure out what you did. Can you hit your windows key and your X key at same time and have it bring up the advance start menu choices???

If you can then click on the RUN option, and type winver I want to check what version your windows is.

OldMike65, Feb 10, 2016
  10. ok that works - my build is 1151 - does that tell you anything?

DiscoSlice, Feb 10, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    simrick, Feb 10, 2016
  12. can I ask you what a "Clean boot" is? I will try that.

DiscoSlice, Feb 10, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Not exactly.....build should be 1511 Build: 10586.104 if its had all the latest updates.

seeing how Simrick is here I'll let her explain the clean boot process. *Smile Its just turning devices of in your msconfig file.

OldMike65, Feb 10, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Save and close all your work.
    Right-click on Start>Run
    In the dialogue box that opens type Code: msconfig[/quote] .
    In the System Configuration box that open, select the Services tab at the top.

Check the box that says Hide all Microsoft services.

Then un-select each box that's left in the window.

Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working [​IMG]

Click Apply, then click OK.

Reboot the system. Test it for a while to see if the problem has resolved. If so, try re-enabling (re-checking) the services you unchecked, one by one, rebooting the system, and trying it out for a while to see if the problem returns. It takes a while to do this, as you can see.

In my case, (the system I am working on) I unchecked everything except the anti-virus, and Teamviewer (which is how I access the system). So far, 2-1/2 days and the problem has not returned. So, next up, is re-checking each item, one by one, rebooting, and trying out the system to see if the problem returns. Will take quite a while, as I am not able to access the system now for a couple of weeks due to schedules.

Edit: Props to @dalchina for the idea, as I was at a dead end, looking at an in-place upgrade (which probably would *not* have resolved the issue!)

simrick, Feb 10, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    I'll let you two play, I'm pooped, time for bed. *Sleepy Good luck *Smile

OldMike65, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Multiple issues: start button/calculator/calendar not working - Similar Threads - Multiple issues start

2. Calculator, Calendar both crashing after starting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Calculator, Calendar both crashing after starting.: Calculator, Calendar both crashing after starting. MAIL works OK. Windows App Store troubleshooter is unable to fix the issue. Indication that "temp file location has changed". Other non-decipherable and non-actionable error info is displayed by troubleshooter in...
  3. Calculator, Calendar both crashing after starting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Calculator, Calendar both crashing after starting.: Calculator, Calendar both crashing after starting. MAIL works OK. Windows App Store troubleshooter is unable to fix the issue. Indication that "temp file location has changed". Other non-decipherable and non-actionable error info is displayed by troubleshooter in...
  4. Unsolved issue - Start button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unsolved issue - Start button not working: I have unsolved thread going on - LINK. First read everything of there even the repliesthen read this to understand what I am talking. So the problem is still not solved. And this problem is not only for me, it is an actual bug in Windows. I suppose there is a problem in the...
  5. Windows start button with multiple displays

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start button with multiple displays: I'm using two monitors and I only want the windows start button on my main display, while keeping just the taskbar on the 2nd display. I've had it set up like this before, but can't seem to find a way to get that back. submitted by /u/CameronW19 [link] [comments]...
  6. Microsoft sculpt Calculator button not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft sculpt Calculator button not working: Hello, i just bought the wireless sculpt combo with keyboard, mouse, and calculator for use with my HP work laptop. the calculator button does not work. what am i supposed to do? i searched HPs site and there are no drivers listed for this. nothing happens when i hit the...
  7. start button not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start button not working: start button stopped working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working/8227ba9a-2479-489f-b5bb-9d7c5237bb7a
  8. Calendar, Calculator & Camera Apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Calendar, Calculator & Camera Apps not working: All the above Apps have not worked for a week or opened for a week. It doesn't allow me to roll back either. Please help. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calendar-calculator-camera-apps-not-working/96724aec-6764-4154-b8da-c42d3a9c1f24"
  9. Start Button Not Working?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working?: What steps should be taken to diagnose a Windows 10 start button not working? 48746
  10. Multiple issues with taskbar and start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple issues with taskbar and start button: So I've recently been having some issues with my computer. Many of the buttons on my task-bar won't work (calculator, search button, auto-clicker among others), I can't right-click anything on it, neither the Action Center nor the calendar will open, and when I click the...