Windows 10: Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

Discus and support Multiple Keys associated with MS Account? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Am I right in thinking that with the Anniversary method of dealing with Product Key activation, that 1) if the key is associated with my MS account,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by imacken, Jan 12, 2017.

1. imacken Win User

Multiple Keys associated with MS Account?

Am I right in thinking that with the Anniversary method of dealing with Product Key activation, that
    1) if the key is associated with my MS account, if I buy a new PC, replacing the old one, then the product key will validate through my account on the new PC?
    2) is it OK to have multiple keys associated with the one account in the case of owning more than 1 PC, e.g. laptop and desktop?

:)

imacken, Jan 12, 2017

2. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Error 0x80070002-0x20016.

Products: Belarc Advisor

simply run this, free and safe, application to recover all your keys.

Hope that helps

A few quick Belarc license notes:

License: The license associated with this product allows for free personal use only. Use on multiple PCs in a corporate, educational, military or government installation is prohibited. See the license agreement for details.

It makes an html report tht gives you all your MS keys and more...

AnotherDayAnotherSegFault, Jan 12, 2017
  3. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro: finding which CD key was used

Hi,

Thank you for those links! Just one clarification about the "digital entitlement" to see if I understood.

Does "Digital Entitlement" mean that I don't need to concern myself with the key since she will be associated with my MS account?

If it does, can we have more than one key associated with the same MS account? I was thinking of upgrading my other keys to W10 before the free upgrade expires.

TheMonster, Jan 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

1. No. Windows Activation "validates" through Microsoft Activation servers, not your Microsoft Account.

2. Yes you can multiple digital licenses for Windows 10 associated with your Microsoft Account. I've got about 10 showing on mine.

NavyLCDR, Jan 12, 2017
  5. imacken Win User
    imacken, Jan 12, 2017
  6. Superfly Win User
    Superfly, Jan 12, 2017
  7. imacken Win User
    I'm confused by the fact that I understood those links to suggest that there was no longer the fussy activation process that used to exist in Windows, and that now a product key was linked to your MSA rather than a bunch of hardware IDs.
    So, for example, if one changed computer, input the product key, the servers would look at the MSA and see if there was a match and then validate, rather than the old 'sorry can't do this as I'm seeing a different motherboard, etc.'

imacken, Jan 12, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

OK... after digital activation product keys are no longer needed for activation - they are merely there to tell Windows which edition to install (hence .. generic or default keys)

The digital licence stored at MS has your original activation based on a combination of H/W ID and Product ID of Win 7/8 even 10, and by assigning that to your MSA you are now able to use the transfer wizard to assign it to new H/W, specifying a H/W change.
    So via MSA it checks that you have a valid licence, then if by a H/W change it will update the digital licence with the new H/W ID and assign a new digital licence... that's the way I understand it, anyway

Superfly, Jan 12, 2017
  9. imacken Win User
    OK thanks. That makes more sense to me now. So basically I don't have to worry about buying another product key if I change my PC? I just have to go through the wizard?

imacken, Jan 12, 2017
  10. Superfly Win User
    AFAIK, yes... but for a max of 3x on different H/W. - unlike "normal" retail key method which can have over 10 activations on different H/W...

Superfly, Jan 12, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If Windows 10 does not activate automatically via the Microsoft Activation Servers - which it will activate automatically if that computer's unique ID (Installation ID) matches one already stored there - there are two ways to activate it:

1. Enter a valid product key. Currently Windows 7, 8 and 10 product keys are being accepted (if they are not blocked from automatic online activation). We don't know when or if Microsoft will stop accepting Windows 7 and 8 product keys to activate Windows 10 with.

or

2. Run the activation troubleshooter which has the ability to retrieve digital license information from a Microsoft Account. This information is then sent to Microsoft Activation servers by Windows 10 to gain activation.

The activation of the installed Windows 10, however, will always occur as a result of the return of the proper activation code from Microsoft Activation Servers - either automatically online or over the phone - and Windows 10 will never be activated from the Microsoft Account login alone. Retrieving the digital license information from the Microsoft Account only provides information which is sent to the Microsoft Activation server in order to receive the activation code in return.

NavyLCDR, Jan 12, 2017
  12. imacken Win User
    Sorry guys, I don't mean to be awkward here, but I am confused again.
    From your reply, NavyLCDR, I can't see much difference from the old method. Are you saying that the key/activation code is still linked to hardware?
    The basic question is, will I be OK to use my key on a new PC which will be replacing the original one the key was validated on?

imacken, Jan 12, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes, it is still linked to hardware. That has never changed. If you look at the device listing in your Microsoft Account you will see a list of DEVICES that have digital licenses for Windows 10.

Yes, you can still reuse retail product keys. The only obstacle is if it is a Windows 7 or 8 product key that has been blocked from online activation by Microsoft - then you would have to use other activation methods.

Licenses for Windows 10 are still issued on a per DEVICE basis, not a per user basis. Microsoft has only added the ability to store a DEVICE's license for Windows 10 in a user's Microsoft Account.

NavyLCDR, Jan 12, 2017
  14. imacken Win User
    Thanks again.
    So, if I look on the list of devices on my MSA, there are some that I don't even own any more. Can I delete them and free up whatever key was used on those devices to be used on another device?

imacken, Jan 12, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Deleting the old devices from your Microsoft Account will not affect your ability to reuse retail product keys one way or the other. I say leave them on there. You should be able to use those devices to transfer a digital license to a computer in the event that a valid product key you have is not being accepted for some reason. Right now I have three computers listed on my Microsoft Account that were all upgrades from Windows 7 that were activated with the same product key because I have a family three pack Windows 7 license which uses one product key for all three installations.

I will always attempt product key activation first, then only if that fails, fall back on transferring a digital license from my Microsoft Account.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Multiple Keys associated with MS Account? - Similar Threads - Multiple Keys associated

2. Recover account information associated to a windows key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover account information associated to a windows key?: Hello, 6 months ago I bought a laptop for my girlfriend with Windows 11.Yesterday when she opened it, it asked for a BitLocker key which we never manually activated. We can't find the microsoft account associated with the laptop I'm sure we logged into a Microsoft account but...
  3. Recover account information associated to a windows key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover account information associated to a windows key?: Hello, 6 months ago I bought a laptop for my girlfriend with Windows 11.Yesterday when she opened it, it asked for a BitLocker key which we never manually activated. We can't find the microsoft account associated with the laptop I'm sure we logged into a Microsoft account but...
  4. Remove an email associated with my MS account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an email associated with my MS account.: Somehow, in the distant past, both my wife's primary email address and my email address got associated with a single MS account. We would like to remove my wife's email from the MS account, but I can't find how to do it. When I am in my MS account profile...
  5. Remove an email associated with my MS account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an email associated with my MS account.: Somehow, in the distant past, both my wife's primary email address and my email address got associated with a single MS account. We would like to remove my wife's email from the MS account, but I can't find how to do it. When I am in my MS account profile...
  6. Multiple computers and the same MS email associated - non-profit

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Multiple computers and the same MS email associated - non-profit: I run a non-profit that includes 15 computers all running MS Windows 10 Pro. As I set up the computers, I have associated each with my personal Microsoft account, since adding a MS account on computer set up seems to be required. All users, then, are linked to my account,...
  7. MS account and keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MS account and keys: If I have Windows activated via my MS account, what will show if I use this command slmgr.vbs /dlv? submitted by /u/Vadim6996 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lyj5md/ms_account_and_keys/
  8. Switch which MS account that a local account is associated with

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Switch which MS account that a local account is associated with: My computer which I upgraded from Windows 7 and have upgraded piecemeal since has always used a local account. this account has all my software and registry settings for the hundreds of apps that I have for my work and hobbies. My daughter went to the MS store to download...
  9. Deleting/Removing the MS account associated with my PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting/Removing the MS account associated with my PC: I do not see an option to delete the MS account associated with my PC. Windows Settings --> Accounts --> Email and Accounts --> my email appears --> Manage Account which brings me to the Windows login page. Once logged in, where do I go to delete the account? All of the...
  10. Removing MS account association with Windwos 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Removing MS account association with Windwos 10: From what I understand and have read on the internet, once a Microsoft Account has been associated with Windows 10 it cannot be removed without a full reinstall of windows. The reason I ask is that I changed my Dad's laptop from S Mode to Windows 10 Pro and it required a MS...