Windows 10: Multiple Selection -> Open With?

Discus and support Multiple Selection -> Open With? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Let's say I want to multiple files at once with a specific app. I selected multiple files, and then right click. Where is the open with option? How can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Reptorian, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Reptorian Win User

Multiple Selection -> Open With?

Let's say I want to multiple files at once with a specific app. I selected multiple files, and then right click. Where is the open with option? How can I fix this?

:)

Reptorian, Nov 25, 2015

2. Opening Multiple Images in Multiple Folders with Windows Photo viewer (Like in Window 7, 8)

Hi

1) What Happens when you try to select the multiple images (example: 10 images) and press the Enter key on the keyboard?

=> The computer opens the Printing dialog with with the printing options for all the images in separate windows

2) Did you try to select the multiple image types of JPEG and BMP and open it separately?

=> Yes same result with No 1

Asad_Rehman, Nov 25, 2015
  3. flashdrive

You need to select the pictures in your Pictures folder, copy them then open the thumb drive then paste them there.

Step 1: Click Start > File Explorer > This PC > Pictures

Select the pictures, you can select multiple pictures by doing the following:

Hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard then use the mouse to click on each picture you want. This will allow you to select multiple pictures.

After selecting your desired pictures, click the Copy button or press Ctrl + X

Step 2: Click Start > File Explorer > This PC > open your thumbdrive

Click Paste or press Ctrl + V

Andre Da Costa, Nov 25, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

As far as I can see, you will not get a Open with choice when more than one file is selected, even if they are the same file extension.

Ztruker, Nov 26, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Just to add to what Ztruker has already told you...............
    You probably knew that already, but just in case.
    If all those files have the SAME file extension ( or file format ), then all you have to do is right click at one of them > click Open With > click Choose another app > click the program you want to use to open those files > check the box that says " Always use this app to open...." > click OK.
    Note : file extension is the last 3 or 4 digits of the file name.

Example : if I want to use Photo Gallery to open all jpg files.........

Multiple Selection -> Open With? [​IMG]

davidhk, Nov 26, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    As I understand your question, you're not asking about 'Open with' as such.
    What you wish to do is to open multiple files at the same time.

If they are of the same type, and you select and right click on them, choose 'Open' and your wish is granted. (Assuming the file type has an associated program),

If they are not of the same type, you do not get the 'Open' option in the context menu, unless both types are associated with the same program.

Put another way, addressing your last sentence, you do not get an 'Open With' option if you select multiple file types.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    It also depends on the type of file.
    Multiple images file will usually open to be viewed in sequential order in the default image viewer,
    audio files may have a number of 'open with' or 'create playlist' right click options, depending on various applications you may have installed.

Edwin, Nov 26, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

It doesn't work since XP as far as I know.

9. Ztruker Win User
    No, OP was quite explicit: Where is the open with option? How can I fix this?

Ztruker, Nov 26, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thank you. You will note I addressed the two possible readings of his post - both Open and Open with. I found it uncertain on a quick scan. The open with option to do what? Anyway, it's been answered.

dalchina, Nov 26, 2015
  11. bradli Win User
    I do not feel that this has been answered in this thread. I work a lot with image files, and I usually open these in Windows' default image viewer when I want to see them. However, when I want to edit them, I open them in Photoshop. I used to (in Windows 8) be able to select multiple image files, right click them and select "open with -> Photoshop". All the files were then opened in Photoshop in separate tabs. Now I have to right click one file at a time, select open with -> Photoshop.
    So, as the initial poster asked; is there a way to fix this?

bradli, Nov 30, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    I don't think you can. As far as I can see you only get "open with" for one file and only if it is not an executable. Open will open multiple files but only for the default program.

What you could do as a workaround is add a Photoshop shortcut to the right click "send to" menu as described here Customize the Send To Menu in Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista

I don't have Photoshop but it works for me with Notepad++ - I can select multiple files, right click and "send to" the program and they all open at once.

13. bradli Win User

Thank you, that is a good suggestion! I will try it out.

bradli, Nov 30, 2015
  14. Reptorian Win User
    Well, the customizing shell:sendto seems to be the best solution so far, and I'm now using it. Too bad that there isn't individual open with option like there was in previous Windows. Oh well.

Reptorian, Dec 3, 2015
  15. Do holding down Shift before right clicking help? Or perhaps Ctrl or Alt ...

nigelmercier, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple Selection -> Open With? - Similar Threads - Multiple Selection Open

2. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  3. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    select multiple files without losing selections: How do you select multiple files in file explorer and then ensure none of those files are deselected.\I have a ton of PDF files really books I have downloaded.Now I am trying to organize them into folders.All intermixed have files about God, investing, supply chain...
  4. select multiple files without losing selections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Select multiple files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Select multiple files: Selecting multiple files using control key has stopped. What has happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-multiple-files/6d74d5ba-2fb5-4c21-bd6c-56cf151b442f
  6. How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I select multiple open windows on Desktop?: Let us say I have four files open on Desktop. How do I select all of them?I have searched for answers, but they all only seem to address selecting multiple files in a folder using SHIFT or CTRL.I am talking about multiple open files on Desktop. I have tried using CTRL and,...
  7. Mouse selecting multiples

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse selecting multiples: Hi all. I have an issue where when moving my mouse it sometimes selects areas of the screen by itself, simply when moving the mouse over the area. This can be very frustrating as on occasions it results in something being selected that is not intentional. I have done a number...
  8. Mouse selects multiple

Mouse selects multiple: Hi all. I have an issue where when moving my mouse it sometimes selects areas of the screen by itself, simply when moving the mouse over the area. This can be very frustrating as on occasions it results in something being selected that is not intentional. I have done a number...
  9. Can you select multiple open windows (not all) to close?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you select multiple open windows (not all) to close?: In Windows XP, I was able to Ctrl+Click windows on the taskbar to select them, then right click on any one of them & close all (a context menu option). Is there a way to do this in Windows 10? Is there an app that will do this? Thanks in advance? 125873
  10. Multiple display selection not present

Multiple display selection not present: Went from upgrade 10130 with both monitors in extended mode to a clean install of 10130. Multiple display selection is not present. Both monitors are in Mirror mode at the present. (both showing the same thing). Connected devices only show 1 monitor. Graphics is on the Mother...