Windows 10: Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer.

Discus and support Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; While doing a system backup today on one of my machines using EaseUs Backup app, it failed to write to the usual folder on a USB external HD. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by mb300e, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mb300e Win User

Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer.

While doing a system backup today on one of my machines using EaseUs Backup app, it failed to write to the usual folder on a USB external HD. I investigated and found the folder could not indeed be written too. I disconnected the drive and connected it to another PC and found that I could not access the drive there also. The only thing I could do was to reformat it then it worked although all the previous files and folders were gone.

I reconnected the drive to the Laptop, opened File explorer using the “This PC” shortcut on the Desktop and immediately saw that in addition to the original Drive C and D (a partitioned 1TB SSD) I had 7 seven extra System Drives show up as drive E through K. Each with a size of 256 MB.

Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer. [​IMG]

They do not show up in Disk Management. *Huh

Any suggestions, I have never encountered this phenomenon before.

:)

mb300e, Aug 30, 2017

2. Extra drives show in file explorer, but not in settings>system>storage on Windows 10.

I'm trying to change where Windows saves apps and documents and the like. I've gone to Settings > System > Storage and tried to change the drop down menus in there however my other internal hard drives do not show up in the drop downs. I can and have been
    using these drives for ages now, so Windows itself knows that they are there but they just aren't showing in the Settings menu.

I'm running Windows 10 version 1607, everything is up to date. My C: drive is the system install on a 60GB SSD the other two drives are larger volume, standard hard disk drives.

I've found one similar issue on forums from about a year ago with no resolution.

I'll attach a screenshot illustrating what I mean, I built this PC myself so if we need hardware information I can provide that as well but I don't think this is a hardware issue at all so I'll refrain from looking it all up for the moment.

Thank you for any and all help.

CharlesRothbacher, Aug 30, 2017
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    Extra drives show in file explorer, but not in settings>system>storage on Windows 10.

On my PC device, when I go to 'Storage' it lists my (CMultiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer. :) drive and two flash drives but does list my external USB 2TB HDD, it is listed in 'This PC', whether this is by design or a bug, well your guess is as good as mine.

I will be submitting feedback on problem, I urge you to do the same.

One thing I have noticed during the period of transition from moving functions from the 'Control Pane'l to 'Settings', there are several function that are incomplete in the transition and do not operate as shown, I can only assume later OS builds will rectify.

It is unlikely it is any fault with your PC, as is mine.

My remarks are in relation to a PC on Anniversary Release Ver. 1607 Bld. 14393.105.

I have just checked my test PC, Insider release Ver. 1607 Bld. 14915.1000 and when I go to Storage it shows all my drives including partitions on main drive (4), Ext HDD, Flash Drives, all drives that are available, so it looks like this will be fixed in
    future general release builds.

Shilohbob, Aug 30, 2017
  4. mb300e Win User

I fixed it, it only took me ten hours of sweat and toil to do it. *Smile

mb300e, Aug 31, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    No, I've never seen anything like that either....

Care to expand on that? What was it? You've got me intrigued *Smile

6. mb300e Win User
    It is a long story, how did I get there and back?

As I said in my original post, I was doing backups when the sys drive one failed to write to an external HD. It had been working fine since I acquired the Surface Book Laptop a few weeks ago.

Opening "This PC" on the laptop showed the "Phantom Drives" for want of better words and they could not be deleted and did not show in the Drive Manager window either.

OK said I, I can use my "Emergency Repair" disc in an external optical drive to fix things. Wrong. I restarted the laptop, the disk spun up then just stopped. I the tried an install disc for version 15063. The disc spun up, and an install screen appeared. As it was getting late in the day, I decided to cancel everything, shut down the laptop, and try the next day.

The next day was spent mostly doing research which did not help much other than creating more confusion than necessary. On powering up the laptop again, it opened to the UEFI screen and no further. No matter what I tried it would not boot normally. It would not boot from any disc in the external drive, regardless of the boot order. Thinking back to the good old days, I tried hitting a few Function Keys including F2, F8 and F12 then a message appeared on the screen say to hit any key to boot from USB or CD...so that is what I did. Still nothing happened with either disc...errr....

Back at the drawing board, I figured there was nothing to loose by using the media creator tool on a WIn 7 laptop to create a bootable Win 10 ESD on a flash drive. I inserted the drive, set the boot order to USB then pushed the power button. Hey presto, up came a Windows Setup screen where I could set the Language and so forth. Because the native resolution on the laptop is 3000 x 2000, I had to use a magnifier to see the setup screen. After hitting "Next", the next screen appeared to have only one option which was to "Install Now". I paused there, and after a while I noticed some tiny words in the lower left corner that said "Repair your computer". Ok, what do I have to lose, eh? I clicked my way through a number of screens, and eventually after a while the screen went black and the "Surface" logo (name) appeared as it would do when starting up normally, then as if by magic, poof, up came my wallpaper and my login in box. I checked a few things and it was like nothing had happened, the phantom drives were gone, and whatever did not work before still did not work.

I have left out a lot of the minutia that I went through to get back to normal. I did not want to bore y'all, and I omitted to get my camera out to record all the screens and screams. *Smile

mb300e, Aug 31, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Thanks for sharing...
    ...I feel your pain *Smile

Bree, Sep 1, 2017
  8. mb300e Win User

I think someone should start a Class Action Lawsuit against MS for the uninvited and mostly unwanted interfering with people's expensive private property. This "thing" that I bought was $2,799. I would have been better off going to Wally World and buying a $300 throw-away laptop.

ANY VOLUNTEERS? *Smile

mb300e, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple SYSTEM drives show in File Explorer. - Similar Threads - Multiple SYSTEM drives

2. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer: Hi,I am setting up a new MS Surface with Windows 10 Pro that is joined successfully to our corporate domain with a domain user profile configured. I've done this hundreds of times, but for some reason, this particular machine won't show the mapped drives, which are in Azure I...
  3. Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped Drives not showing in File Explorer: Hi,I am setting up a new MS Surface with Windows 10 Pro that is joined successfully to our corporate domain with a domain user profile configured. I've done this hundreds of times, but for some reason, this particular machine won't show the mapped drives, which are in Azure I...
  4. One Drive not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive not showing in file explorer: I switched from Windows 11 home to Pro and actually am experiencing a couple of issues. One Drive is no longer showing in file explorer, and I am no longer able to use the fingerprint to log into computer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated....
  5. One Drive not showing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive not showing in file explorer: I switched from Windows 11 home to Pro and actually am experiencing a couple of issues. One Drive is no longer showing in file explorer, and I am no longer able to use the fingerprint to log into computer. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated....
  6. File Explorer not showing drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer not showing drives: Hi all. A weird one I've never seen before. One of my customers has a plain desktop with current Windows 10. When he opens "File Explorer", NO drives show beneath the "Devices and drives. Not C:\ hard drive, DVD/CD drive, or an additional external drive (F:\) that's connected...
  7. Showing a new drive in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Showing a new drive in File Explorer?: hey y’all, i just got a new SSD working and i wanna have it shown in the file explorer/navigation area (where Quick Access, This PC, Network, and my D: drive is) is there a way i can do this? i’ve looked around and tried some things to do it but they don’t seem to work, any...
  8. File Explorer - Not showing Wireless drive Files

File Explorer - Not showing Wireless drive Files: I have recently changed computers and now cannot see the files I have on a western digital MyBookLive which i use as my prime backup. I could see them under Network/storage in my old machine band can see the icon for the device but I cannot access the files. I can log in to...
  9. File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive

File Explorer Not Showing External "A" Drive: I plugged an external "A" drive into my computer via a USB port with File Explorer open. The "A" drive shows up, but only for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. I changed USB ports and it does the same. I checked Device Manager under "Floppy Drives" and it shows the "A"...
  10. File explorer not showing a drive.

File explorer not showing a drive.: Why does file explorer not show a thumb drive? It appears in Device Manager with an assigned drive letter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-showing-a-drive/5ffda71c-faac-498d-bc10-cc812a24ccd7"