Windows 10: Multiple updates fail, Windows Defender won't start, can't activate

Discus and support Multiple updates fail, Windows Defender won't start, can't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys ... I also posted this on Microsoft's site but I'm assuming no help will come from there. Reserved the Windows 10 upgrade on my desktop, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ninnyjams, Aug 8, 2015.

1. ninnyjams Win User

Multiple updates fail, Windows Defender won't start, can't activate

Hey guys ... I also posted this on Microsoft's site but I'm assuming no help will come from there. Reserved the Windows 10 upgrade on my desktop, and now I have a slew of issues after a day or two of it working well after upgrading. I am unable to start Windows Defender, three updates are failing and I cannot activate Windows 10. Here's all my issues below, copied from the MS site:

1. Windows Defender fails to start (Error code: 0x800705b4)
    Windows Defender won't start and gives the error message "An error has occurred in the program during initialization. If this problem continues, please contact your system administrator." I have already tried uninstalling Avast and have no other third party antivirus.

2. Windows Update KB2267602 fails (Error code: 0x80070643)
    This is a definition update for Windows Defender.

3. Windows Update KB3074678 fails (Error code: 0x8000ffff)
    This is listed as an update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems

4. Windows Update KB3074686 fails (Error code: 0x8000ffff)
    This is listed as an update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems

5. Windows cannot activate
    I am also having the issues that other people are having with activation. "Windows can't activate. Try again later." is the error message I get.

:)

ninnyjams, Aug 8, 2015
  2. ninnyjams Win User

Windows Defender won't start, multiple updates fail, can't activate

I have received help from another forum to fix issues one through four and now am mainly having ACTIVATION problems. I still cannot activate. The activation error I'm getting is Error code: 0xC004F012 The Software Licensing Service has reported
    that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found.

ninnyjams, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Windows Defender won't start, multiple updates fail, can't activate

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

We understand the dilemma that you're in right now and also appreciate your interest in Windows 10. As you already know that you first need to have a genuine Windows 7/8.1 installed in the Computer so that you can make use of
    the free Windows 10 upgrade, you may need to contact the Microsoft Activation Center regarding your Product key issue. Try the appropriate phone number listed here: Microsoft Activation Centers Worldwide Telephone Numbers:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

You may refer to the following Wiki Article by Andre for better understanding of Activation in Windows 10:

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues
    in Windows 10

Hope I've answered your queries. Get back to us for further assistance regarding Windows 10 and we'll be more than glad to help

Uttam Yadav, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Peterson Win User

NinnyJams,
    I had the same problem and found a resolution on the Microsoft forum that was posted by one of their engineers. There were three 'methods' listed in the post; method 1, which basically scans your PC is the one that worked in my case. The scan found a corrupt file and fixed it. I've had no problems with updates since running the scan.

The link ishttp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-b7d8a80e49f2

I hope this resolves your issue too.

Good luck.

Peter

Peterson, Aug 8, 2015
  5. andyjTEN Win User
    Activation. Manually go online with Edge, then with Edge open visit the store. Only takes a second.

andyjTEN, Aug 8, 2015
  6. ninnyjams Win User
    Alright so ... the first step did not work. It got stuck at verification 100 percent and I verified that it was not doing anything else via task manager. The second step, followed by the first step again, also did not work. But the third step did! After running the third step, Windows Defender works, those three updates installed fine and I'm good to go!

Well ... almost. I still can't activate. Does anybody have any advice there? I opened Microsoft Edge, went to the Windows Store app and then checked but I still am not activated. I've tried clicking the activate button around 200 times (had an auto-clicker attempt it, even)

EDIT: The activation error I'm getting is Error code: 0xC004F012 The Software Licensing Service has reported that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found.

ninnyjams, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple updates fail, Windows Defender won't start, can't activate - Similar Threads - Multiple updates fail

2. Multiple Windows Defender Updates?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Multiple Windows Defender Updates?: Using Windows 10 - 64bitJust found 50 Windows Defender "Definition" updates, 1 each day for the last 50 days.Is this normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-windows-defender-updates/e849c5ce-07bc-4463-bd8d-378eca853f4e
  3. Multiple Windows Defender Updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Windows Defender Updates?: Using Windows 10 - 64bitJust found 50 Windows Defender "Definition" updates, 1 each day for the last 50 days.Is this normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-windows-defender-updates/e849c5ce-07bc-4463-bd8d-378eca853f4e
  4. Multiple Windows Defender Updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Defender can't start

Windows Defender can't start: Hello,I got the notification that Windows Defender was not running. I already searched the internet, and tried several things. Status/Symptoms:- The service "Windows Defender Firewall" is set to automatic start, but isn't running state is empty. When I start it, I get the...
  6. Windows Defender can't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender can't start: Hello,I got the notification that Windows Defender was not running. I already searched the internet, and tried several things. Status/Symptoms:- The service "Windows Defender Firewall" is set to automatic start, but isn't running state is empty. When I start it, I get the...
  7. Windows Defender Fails to start

Windows Defender Fails to start: Hi, now i have a new problem and i don't know how to fix it. So yesterday i've noticed that windows Defender wasn't working and i've been trying to search for solutions and none of them work, all it tells me is ''Unexpected error. Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please try...
  8. can't start Windows Defender

can't start Windows Defender: hey guys, I used Windows Defender for some time, it was working well until I installed a VPN program calledCyberghost. On installing I remember that i agreed on something but unfortunately I can't remember what was it exactly but it was something about firewall or...
  9. defender won't start

defender won't start: A friend asked me to check his antivirus, defender will not start no matter what I do, I have followed many suggestions as to how to get it to start, none worked. He had newest version 1709, he did have webroot and took it out so defender should start, it will not, it says...
  10. Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start

Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start: The last few days, Defender has been trying and failing to update its definitions. A manual update from Defender fails. Now Defender isn't working. Pressing Defender's Start button gives the message that the underlying service isn't running. The service is set to automatic,...