Windows 10: Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box?

Discus and support Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So basically, here's the deal. I ripped all of my CDs using Windows Meda Player and I use Foobar2000 to play my music. I want to use Foobar2000 to edit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JOSHSKORN, Feb 2, 2018.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box?

So basically, here's the deal. I ripped all of my CDs using Windows Meda Player and I use Foobar2000 to play my music. I want to use Foobar2000 to edit the tags on my music, however when I do so, I get an error message on every track that I attempt to edit, and it reads as follows:

Could not update tags (Access denied) on:
    "D:\Music\Path\To\File\With\Filename"

I'm GUESSING the problem is that my Music Folder has that read-only box filled with a black box, and that the folders/subfolders/files are also marked as read-only. I've cleared the box several times, but it still doesn't take the change. I've even tried adding the Take Ownership option to the context menu, with no luck. Same error.

Is there a way to fix this problem? Again, I'm thinking it's more of a Windows 10 folder/file permission issue than it is an issue with my music app...Foobar2000.

:)

JOSHSKORN, Feb 2, 2018

2. Windows 10. Read only Files. Tried every suggested fix on here and nothing works.

Hi. Thank you for getting back to me. I think im correct in saying that Folders and Sub Folders cant have the black Read-Only box permanently removed? It can be removed temporarily to remove the Read-Only from the files inside -yes? But hoes back to black
    to protect the folder.

Ive cleared all files from read only and all is well but i notice when i close a word file, that word often stops working, showing a bar working and telling me its restarting word, instead of just closing it. When this happens, it changes the file to read
    only, so im guessing this is the cause.

A friend has asked me if its only files i access ftom one drive and thinks it could be a problem with that. He recommmends i dont use the onedrive files and instead i should sccesz them from the PC since im on that computer. Is it possibly causec by me opening
    and eorking on files in onedrive?? Any help appreciated. Thank you.

SiobhanM-Beach, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Windows 10 file attributes

I've tried everything and still cannot save to my folders.

I even tried making new directories, folders and sub-folders to eliminate the Read only function and wasn't

successful.

I tried Right clicking the folder; select Properties and the attribute is
    Read Only with the box solid black
    (not a check mark) and keeps popping up after being removed when you apply. Changes couldn't be made because it said I have to have administrator permission so I added Administrator to my sign-up and log in as Administrator.
    Even then it won't let me change attributes.

I've used the attrib -r +s drive\<path>\<foldername> and it still doesn't work. I can't save pictures, documents or music because they are all read only.

Anyone really know how to correct this problem?

JackRhondeau, Feb 2, 2018
  4. Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box?

Your issue is not cause by read-only attribute its cause by folder permission.

Have you tried running the program with administrative privileges.

I don't understand did you have trouble adding Take Ownership to context menu or did taking the ownership of the folder have not work.

I have attached batch script that will add a Take Ownership option when its launched.

FreeBooter, Feb 2, 2018
  5. JOSHSKORN Win User
    I only have one account on my PC, and it's the Administrator account. I've been thinking about adding a second admin account and downgrading mine, but I haven't done that, yet.

I ran the reg file from here (#2). It added to my computer no problem, and I was able to see Take Ownership in the context menu, but it ended up doing nothing for me. the Read-only box still has the black box inside of it.

Is the file you attached the same thing as what I'd already installed and attempted to use?

JOSHSKORN, Feb 2, 2018
  6. When i said launch the program with administrative privileges what i meant was to right click the program and click "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

I have also read-only attribute for my Music folder it does not cause me any issue and it should not.

A file or folder that's marked as read-only usually implies that the file or folder shouldn't be altered or that great caution should be taken before making changes to it.

I have no idea which reg file you have used can you please give me the url link to it.

FreeBooter, Feb 2, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    All folders always have black square in the box as folders don't have read only attribute. If you look the description says "only applies to files in folder". Files will have a tick or blank.

Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box? [​IMG]

If you change the read only box on a folder you'll get a pop-up asking if you want to change the contents. You should make sure you unset it and apply to the contents.

Afterwards the box on Music folder will still be black (like above) but the contents will not. If you find a file in the music directory (not another folder) they should be unticked like this:

But anyway - I agree with @FreeLoader - the problem probably isn't read only - it is security.

You need to first take ownership and then secondly grant full permission to your user. By default Music is owned by your user and SYSTEM, Administrators and your user have full control.

You can run this from administrator command prompt to take ownership and grant full permission to your user.

Code: takeown /f "D:\Music" /r icacls "D:\Music" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%"Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box? :(F) /t[/quote]
    Note If you enter %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME% it will be changed automatically to your user name (and domain or computer name) so you can enter the command as shown - you don't need to put in your user name

There are tutorials to do it through the GUI if you prefer.

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
    Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box?

1. Music Folder - Can I remove Read-Only black box? - Similar Threads - Music Folder remove

2. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  3. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  4. Can not remove the "Read only property"

Can not remove the "Read only property": Today when I tried to modify tags in my music library, I found that it couldn't write the tags. So I checked the properties of it. Under the General tab the "read only " property had a tick in front. [ATTACH] I removed it and clicked on apply. [ATTACH] Then a new window...
  5. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  6. Can't remove read-only from folders

Can't remove read-only from folders: How to remove read-only from folders. All searched helps don't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-remove-read-only-from-folders/aea3e09c-34ed-4f11-a009-ab70939d8b66
  7. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  8. remove READ ONLY

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove READ ONLY: PLEASE How do I get read only off of my pictures on OneDrive. If I can't see them, I don't need OneDrive. I have changed attribute multiple times and Microsoft keeps changing MY PICTURES back to READ ONLY attribute. This is more than annoying. Microsoft controls my files,...
  9. Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder

Cannot Remove Read-Only from Folder: I can't remove read-only from a folder. I am the owner of that folder and when I apply the changes it back to read-only. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-remove-read-only-from-folder/ec39ccf0-5dfc-4e6a-8dff-ef4596a83cef"
  10. Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only

Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only: My Music folder and the files within keep reverting to Read-only. I'm the owner (and administrator) of the file so that shouldn't be the issue. When I uncheck Read-only and Apply it nearly finishes but then gives me the message: Error Applying Attributes An error...