Windows 10: Music players aren't working on new W10 laptop

Discus and support Music players aren't working on new W10 laptop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to tune a new laptop. (No pun intended) Problem: I moved a bunch of .wma music files from the old W7 machine onto a new W10 Home laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by teckneeculler, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Music players aren't working on new W10 laptop

I'm trying to tune a new laptop. (No pun intended)
    Problem: I moved a bunch of .wma music files from the old W7 machine onto a new W10 Home laptop.
    But the files won't play on the new pc.
    I've tried Groove, Windows Media Player, VLC and Pot Player.
    Nothing happens when I try to play the tracks.
    Each player comes up with its own version of 'why there's a problem'.
    For example, WMP says, 'Windows Media Player encountered an error'.
    Groove says, 'Can't play, please try again. 0xc00d7187.
    The file associations and default player settings are OK.
    I've properly uninstalled each player then corrected the associations and re-associated for the new one.
    And rebooted.
    I'm a tech so I'm aware of the usual methods.
    But I'm floundering here.
    Help, please :-(

Acer Aspire F5-572G
    i7 6500U
    8GB

:)

teckneeculler, Dec 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 do not play audio in "Videos and tv" or VLC

I installed W10 in my laptop and when I tried to play some music, but neither vlc, videos and tv, music, or windows media player appear on the sound mixer, as if the app did not started.

Speakers are working, because if I put a youtube video, it plays correctly the music

Is having anyone the same problem?

thank you

FernandoFerrando Terrádez, Dec 1, 2016
  3. liam---01 Win User
    N91 and A2DP ( means wireless stereo headsets dont work)

yay! nokia music shop? is that a online shop or downloading over the fone itself? and would the drm just be for music bought over nokia music shop or any DRM music bought from anywhere, i have a new laptop as old one died (or so i thought) luckily everything
    is external HDD but i lost the virgin digital music player and as a result the DRM protected music doesnt work on the new laptop, so was really hoping for the N91 to support WMADRM but someone tells me the tracks still wont work as i dont have the virgin digital
    music player is that right?

liam---01, Dec 1, 2016
  4. Winuser Win User

Music players aren't working on new W10 laptop

Do they need a digital license that is on your old computer?

Winuser, Dec 1, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    If these files are DRM protected, they can only be played in the Microsoft Users login that created these files:
    The primary cause for this problem can be attributed to Microsoft Account and the settings on your Windows 10 PC that don’t match. These settings should be the same. For instance, If you have American Microsoft Account the settings should set to America. So, the readily available solution at your disposal is to set the Microsoft Account and the settings on your PC to same.
    Go to the Account migration page.
    When prompted, sign in using the account that you want to migrate to another region.
    Next, scroll down at the bottom of the page to locate the ‘Next’ option. Click the option. Thereafter, on the “Moving your Xbox Live account” page, select the region that you’re moving your account to, then click I Accept.

spunk, Dec 1, 2016
  6. Thanks, guys. Turned out, the problem had a very simple answer - all of the .wma files were faulty. Like, not one of them would play in any other machine. In fact, they wouldn't even play in the host machine.

When I tried a couple of Window 10's sample audio files in both Groove and WMP, those files played without a problem.

When I (belatedly) mentioned it to the owner of the old machine, he said, 'Oh no, I could never get 'em to work either'. Apparently he'd had a problem copying from CDs.

Just goes to show the danger of jumping to conclusions.

teckneeculler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Music players aren't working on new W10 laptop

1. Music players aren't working on new W10 laptop - Similar Threads - Music players aren't

2. Looking for a music player

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for a music player: I need to make playlists from local files, but I want the playlists to have images. Spotify doesn't work in my country. I really want it to be UWP, but normal works as well. VLC UWP is the closest I've found, but the playlists don't let you add covers submitted by...
  3. music player.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    music player.: Internet Edge forced itself onto my computer after I rejected it. Now I cannot find any of my downloaded music...Can you help me find it? It was stored in my player. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/music-player/b3e561d8-e6b4-4e3c-9b7b-0a363f84ad15"
  4. Both Groove and Windows Media Player aren't working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Both Groove and Windows Media Player aren't working: When trying to play a .mp4 file through either one the sound comes out quiet, muffled, and staticky. When I switch over to iTunes and play a .mp4 file it works fine. I've tried various files to make sure it wasn't just the file messing up and I made sure that the speakers...
  5. Music player/manager.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Music player/manager.: Is there any music player like winamp but can search within a playlist to let you que up songs to play before the other items in the list you are playing? Or instead of duplicating files in a list to get them to play more you can just raise their shuffle priority? So many...
  6. My Laptop DVD Player Won't Work since W10 Install!

My Laptop DVD Player Won't Work since W10 Install!: Hello. I bought a used Dell Inspiron 1318 (from circa 2008) & am using it as a temporary backup laptop. It came w/ an older version of Windows 10 Home, & I had to upgrade to Windows version 10.0.16299 (Build 16299). I can't get my DVD player to work, nor could I on the...
  7. music video players

music video players: i went to mozzillafirefox to finally be able to download almost any music and then some videos have videos WINX youtube free downloader etc. is there a way to consolidate all to one player such as media 10. and because i am paranoid from previous videos dissappearing before i...
  8. music player

music player: Hi all, please could someone tell me how to move my music back to windows media player, I have problems using interface of Groove Music, and since someone f****d about with my laptop, they seem to have moved music to aforesaid Groove... please please help *Sad*Mad*Confused...
  9. Music controls on W10

Music controls on W10: I was listening to many European radio stations before W10 now nothing works as before. What do I need to do to get the media back. Thanks 20103
  10. Problems with Music Files in W10, using Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Music Files in W10, using Windows Media Player: For some (not all) of my music files that I use in Windows Media player, I'm getting this message: "The license cannot be downloaded because your Web browser is not supported. To download a license, you must install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later. To install...