Windows 10: Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives

Discus and support Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use a USB docking device and swap drives frequently. Every time I swap I must go into Disk Manager and rerereassign the same drive letter. Surely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by iamjim, May 18, 2018.

1. iamjim Win User

Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives

I use a USB docking device and swap drives frequently. Every time I swap I must go into Disk Manager and rerereassign the same drive letter. Surely this isn't normal. How do I stop this behavior?

:)

iamjim, May 18, 2018

2. Unable to assign drive letter to SSD partition

Hi,

Depending upon the number of partition and connected hardware devices Windows assigns a drive letter with which the drive is referenced. Windows uses
    MountMgr to manage drive letters. MountMgr will assign the next available drive letter to each device added, regardless of type. With the system drive assigned the letter C:, there may be other IDE, SATA or USB devices, such
    as a DVD ROM or a Flash drive assigned to letters D: and E:. When adding another drive, Windows will assign the next drive letter available, which in this case would be drive letter H:

Drive letters can usually be manually changed using Disk Management, however there may be some exceptions. In your case, the drive letter C was already used by other drive therefore drive assigned by Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Anish A Kumar, May 19, 2018
  3. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CMust Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives :) and empty data (DMust Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DMust Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, May 19, 2018
Thema:

Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives

1. Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives - Similar Threads - Must Assign Drive

2. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  4. Order of drive letter assignment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Order of drive letter assignment: I have a desktop system with a C drive (SSD), a D (Raid SATA) , E (SSD). I also have an Epson WP-4535 connected via a USB port. For whatever reason, Windows assigns the next three drive letters to the printer, I'm not clear why. These assignments don't show up explorer, or...
  5. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  6. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  7. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  8. Trouble Assigning Drive Letters

Trouble Assigning Drive Letters: Okay, I recently moved my complete MAME set to an external hd, which my computer designated "D." I also backed up my computer to a separate external hd, which my computer designated as "K." I want the backup hd to be "D" and the MAME hd to be something else. I selected...
  9. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...