Windows 10: Must restart before I can log on

Discus and support Must restart before I can log on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, This is not an urgent, "my computer is broken" sort of thing, but rather a "this annoys the crap out of me" sort of thing. SO, it's simple:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kerias, Apr 18, 2017.

1. kerias Win User

Must restart before I can log on

Hello,
    This is not an urgent, "my computer is broken" sort of thing, but rather a "this annoys the crap out of me" sort of thing.

SO, it's simple: every time I turn on my computer, I must restart it exactly one time before I can log on. This includes when my computer falls asleep- when I wake it up to log on, it does not work (no matter how many times I put the computer back to sleep, or hibernate, or whichever) until I fully restart the computer.

Any idea how to fix this? Or at least what's wrong?

I'm guessing corrupted registry files, but I don't want to have to fully reinstall windows 10.

Thanks!

:)

kerias, Apr 18, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Why must I turn on a network printer BEFORE starting Windows 10?

Sounds like a bug. Press Windows key + X

This will open the Feedback app

Make a report about it and submit it.

Send me the Share link so I vote on it and also send it to folks on the Windows Engineering team on Twitter and Epson.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 18, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there, kerias. Welcome to the forum.

Do you get any kind of error message?

Tony K, Apr 18, 2017
  5. kerias Win User
    Hello,

No :/
    Unfortunately (I should've went into more detail), when I try to log in the background gets slightly darker, as it does when you normally log in, however there is no face, no login popup, no anything. Rather frustrating! The only thing I do get is a wheel spinning, waiting for something to load, and then it decides it's not worth it and gives up, and just sits there on the slightly-darker screen doing nothing. I'll try to take a video to show you.

Thanks for the quick reply!

kerias, Apr 18, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're quite welcome. What kind of account? Microsoft or local? Administrative or non? Are there other accounts on the laptop?

It may be that your account is corrupt. Have you or another account use a Registry cleaner or mess with the Registry?

Tony K, Apr 18, 2017
  7. kerias Win User
    I don't think it's a problem with the account.
    I say that because, yes, it is a Microsoft account, but I have two other local accounts that I've used in cases like this where I encounter some issues. It is an admin account, and yes I have another account to use the registry cleaner with *Smile

kerias, Apr 18, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Ok, so you're computer savvy I see. Well, it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature nor Windows Registry. *Wink

Let me look up a tutorial. I'll be right back.

Tony K, Apr 18, 2017
  9. kerias Win User
    thank you! I couldn't find anything on this specifically, hope you have better luck!

kerias, Apr 18, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Apr 18, 2017
  11. kerias Win User
    Thank you, I will try that out!

kerias, Apr 18, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    Hopefully that'll fix it. Good luck.

BTW, you can run that while still using the computer.

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Must restart before I can log on - Similar Threads - Must restart before

2. User password must be changed before logging in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User password must be changed before logging in: Hi just bought a laptop couple of days ago, and as I remember I didnt set up a password for signing in on windows, this is a windows 11 btw, after few days of using it, on playing games, I installed MS teams, then use it for a couple of hours and then lalptop restarted,...
  3. User password must be changed before logging in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User password must be changed before logging in: Hi just bought a laptop couple of days ago, and as I remember I didnt set up a password for signing in on windows, this is a windows 11 btw, after few days of using it, on playing games, I installed MS teams, then use it for a couple of hours and then lalptop restarted,...
  4. User password must be changed before logging in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Can’t log in, “The user’s password must be changed before signing in.”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t log in, “The user’s password must be changed before signing in.”: I get the above prompt when trying to sign in. I’ve tried various solutions online. When I just leave the password blank and press “enter”, I get “Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history...
  6. Can’t log in, “The user’s password must be changed before signing in.”

Can’t log in, “The user’s password must be changed before signing in.”: I get the above prompt when trying to sign in. I’ve tried various solutions online. When I just leave the password blank and press “enter”, I get “Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history...
  7. Map network drive error "The user's password must be changed before logging in for the...

Map network drive error "The user's password must be changed before logging in for the...: Hello. I have a NAS at home running Linux. The server name is Debian, and the folder is media. There is a Samba share on that NAS that I'm trying to map in Windows 11 Home.It was working at one point, but then the IP address changed. When I attempt to map the network drive as...
  8. Map network drive error "The user's password must be changed before logging in for the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive error "The user's password must be changed before logging in for the...: Hello. I have a NAS at home running Linux. The server name is Debian, and the folder is media. There is a Samba share on that NAS that I'm trying to map in Windows 11 Home.It was working at one point, but then the IP address changed. When I attempt to map the network drive as...
  9. Must duplicate display before extending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Must duplicate display before extending: After a graphics driver update about a month ago some of my display settings are not working properly, mainly that sometimes my computer will snap out of extending to both my monitors for a number of reasons and in order to get it back I have to first select duplicate,...
  10. Must duplicate display before extending

Must duplicate display before extending: After a graphics driver update about a month ago some of my display settings are not working properly, mainly that sometimes my computer will snap out of extending to both my monitors for a number of reasons and in order to get it back I have to first select duplicate,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. must restart to login