Windows 10: Must scan device after each startup

Discus and support Must scan device after each startup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed a dual serial port card in a PCIe slot in my Acer i7 desktop, Win 10 Home. It works until the computer is restarted, then device manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by modernhistorian, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Must scan device after each startup

I installed a dual serial port card in a PCIe slot in my Acer i7 desktop, Win 10 Home. It works until the computer is restarted, then device manager lists the ports as hidden and says they are not physically connected. If I right click the device and scan for hardware changes, they will work until the next time the machine is shut down and restarted. The manufacturer suggests putting them in a different slot, but that is not helpful as there is only one PCIe slot. Can anyone suggest a way of fixing this or, alternately, is rhere a way to force windows to scan devices for hardware changes at each startup? Thanks for any help.

:)

modernhistorian, Aug 27, 2017

2. Keyboard login doesn't work after upgrade to w10

After upgrading to Windows 10 I now must reboot my device after startup each time for the keyboard to work. I've updated the drivers on my device, run MS troubleshooting and still no change. Any help is appreciated.

MichaelLasley, Aug 27, 2017
  3. netgear router must be reloaded with each pc startup

Hi Wondering if you have this turned on!

Must scan device after each startup [​IMG]

garybear89, Aug 27, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Must scan device after each startup

Hi there, modernhistorian. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Sounds to me like it may have not physically seated correctly in the slot, Try reseating it. Or Windows isn't retaining the settings in the Registry. Did you install, boot it up, and did Windows install a driver? It should have configured all that. Try uninstalling the device in Device Manager and reboot to see if that does it. Look in System Information to see if you can see any conflicts hardware wise.

Tony K, Aug 27, 2017
  5. HippsieGypsie, thanks for your prompt response. The card fits at a right angle to the back of the PC, and the latching device won't close unless the card is seated, so I don't think that's it. But I'll try taking it out and putting it back. The card is not plug and play; Windows did not recognize it or install drivers. The maker's installation program installs drivers and the ports then work fine, until the PC is restarted. If I uninstall it using device manager, it won't be recognized on reboot. If I then reinstall with the maker's app, it says that it hasn't been uninstalled! using the maker's uninstall app will let me reinstall with their app, but that brings me back to the starting problem.

I haven't found anything in the registry that as to do with this. System information just refers me to device manager. I will try physical reinstall. Any other ideas?

modernhistorian, Aug 27, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. At this point it may not be the solution, but try the physical reinstall to see how that goes. It could be just one pin that isn't connected. If that doesn't work, then I would say perhaps something is wrong with the device and/or driver on your particular MoBo? I simply can't understand why Windows won't hold it's settings. At least you got this far to narrowing down the problem. A physical reinstall would tell for sure. If that doesn't work, then I would contact the manufacturer again. Perhaps a different device would be in order? Perhaps try an older driver?

Remember to unplug the PC and hold down the power button for a bit to release any static electricity. Refer to your manual. Good luck.

Tony K, Aug 27, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    When it's working check the IRQ, DMA memory setting if it's conflicting with another device it won't be detected

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Must scan device after each startup

1. Must scan device after each startup - Similar Threads - Must scan device

2. How to have specific password for each device on startup screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to have specific password for each device on startup screen?: HiI do not want to use one startup screen password for all my devicesAll i see is change my microsoft password option which does not do what i want.Do i just reset the new device and create a different microsoft account or is there a way to have different passwords for each...
  3. How to have specific password for each device on startup screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to have specific password for each device on startup screen?: HiI do not want to use one startup screen password for all my devicesAll i see is change my microsoft password option which does not do what i want.Do i just reset the new device and create a different microsoft account or is there a way to have different passwords for each...
  4. Scan and Repair drive on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scan and Repair drive on startup: Whenever I start my pcWindows10 it automatically starts running the scan and repair drive on my D drive. It usually takes a minute or two so my bootup is quite a bit slower than normal20 seconds. It never actually does anything though, because I've actually ran scan and...
  5. Magic Mouse 2 must be reconnected after each reboot in Bootcamp

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Magic Mouse 2 must be reconnected after each reboot in Bootcamp: I have 31 just out of the box iMacs on which I need to install Bootcamp. Everything goes fine, except from the moment Windows starts installing the Magic Mouse 2 won't work. Once Windows is completely installed and I go to Bluetooth devices, remove it it does see it, it just...
  6. Windows scanning and "repairing" drive each startup.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows scanning and "repairing" drive each startup.: Since I reinstalled windows on my new m.2 drive, I have been getting the black screen with the blue windows logo each launch. I've checked my drive health with Crystal Health and it is 100%. My m.2 is the only drive listed on the boot menu. I've tried doing the optimize tool...
  7. Random cmd.exe runs after each restart/startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Random cmd.exe runs after each restart/startup?: Hello everyone on TenForums, So for only like 1 or 2 days ago, whenever I restart my PC and login to my user account, I get to see this beautiful empty Command Prompt window: [img] What's up with that? And btw, you can notice that I was trying to stop it by clicking...
  8. How to remove requirement of password/finger scan each time after waki

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to remove requirement of password/finger scan each time after waki: How to remove requirement of password/finger scan each time after waking up pc after sleep I have to log in each time I wake up the computer after 'sleep'. Which is frequent as I have to attend to some other duties also. Is there any way that I can log in automatically,...
  9. Box properly unchecked yet must enter password each time...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Box properly unchecked yet must enter password each time...: [W10; Lenovo Laptop brand new; Chrome browser; Outlook.com; Gmail.] Puzzle: I fixed my laptop so as to open it without having to enter my password and it worked for a few days but now again needs to be typed the password even on its awakening! Of course I went back to the...
  10. Windows Defender Showing Items Skipped During Scan after each scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Showing Items Skipped During Scan after each scan: Hi All Trying Windows Defender to see if I can get used to it and how it affects performance and such, but after each scan popups and says items skipped during scan, my exclusions for Secondlife game, which is required to have it run properly. Should I just ignore...