Windows 10: My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things

Discus and support My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Thought someone might be interested to know what broke on this update, which did install without errors. I have spent 4 or 5 hours trying to sort out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rebop, Dec 1, 2017.

1. rebop Win User

My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things

Thought someone might be interested to know what broke on this update, which did install without errors. I have spent 4 or 5 hours trying to sort out all it did. Some amaze me like deleting ALL my saved Restore Points!!

Windows Creator Update broke, reset or disrespected my settings choices of the following unacceptably:

1. Folder Settings - ALL folders in Windows Explorer were reset to the factory default views removing customized columns and choices for folder types. Why? What a hassle!

2. My custom recycle icons were reset to default. Also why? Sloppy updating.

3. Telemetry was re-enabled with yet more being reported in to the mother ship.

4. Privacy settings changed.

5. Removed all prior system restore points!!!

6. Reset my disabling of the touch screen.

7. Re-enabled a disabled Cortana

8. Reset my changed text highlight color

9. Changed back fixes for DCOM Errors and most cannot be corrected again saying no permissions to make changes

10. A number of new features required new settings choices - battery usage by app, etc., but that's OK. This is expected.

11. 30GB of old data retained for 10-30 days in windows.old while the opportunity remains to revert. A good thing, but worth noting.

12. Added some things of yet unknown value such as Mixed Reality and Paint 3D. To be investigated.

Might be more. All I have noted so far. And, restart takes much longer as it shuts down and restarts. Unsure why.

~Bob

:)

rebop, Dec 1, 2017
  2. AppoloWZ Win User

WPD Drivers have a warning stating they are not working properly on Windows 10 Creators Update

So I downloaded Fall Creators Update (Version 1709). It broke my pc. The display and keyboard are not working with 1709. Apparently between the version that works for me, 1703, and the 1709 something broke the drivers
    - at least display and KB. Because I can't use the pc I can't tell what else is not working. So I rolled the pc back to 1703.

The concern I have is that I may not be able to block the System Update when Microsoft will push it on my pc which will render it unusable. I saw some complaints on the
    Web indicating display/KB problems for some laptops with Fall Creators Update.

AppoloWZ, Dec 1, 2017
  3. Nephr1te Win User
    Windows Creators update glitch

Interesting - The Fall Creators Update apparently repaired this issue (1703 to 1709). It now comes up automatically, no longer have to hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

This weird behavior seems to be recurring off and on with each major build - first the build before the Anniversary update showed the same behavior, then The Anniversary update fixed it, Creators Update broke it again and then Fall Creators update fixed
    it.

So, shall we expect in the next major build it will be broken again?

Nephr1te, Dec 1, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

It has to - none of the previous restore points can be applied to a completely new OS as they contain files from the old system.

It's 10 days since 1607 (it was 30 up to 1511). You can delete it earlier if you want.

*Arrow Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10

There's a new feature in 1709. Certain apps that can register to do so will be reopened at the next boot if they were open when you shut down. It seems that it's saving/restoring the required data that takes the extra time (even if you had no apps open).

IE, Chrome, MS Office, Wordpad and Task Manager are some of the app that will reopen at startup. Edge, Firefox and Notepad are amongst those that don't. There are alternative ways to shut down that don't use this feature...

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

Bree, Dec 1, 2017
  5. rebop Win User
    Thanks! Truly. Some great things I did not know or think of. For example, makes perfect sense on Restore Points but still was a surprise.

"There are alternative ways to shut down that don't use this feature..."

Cool. Off to learn more. Was so snappy. I'd rather speed up than restart with apps open.

~Bob

rebop, Dec 1, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Bree, Dec 1, 2017
  7. rebop Win User
    And, btw, still irksome losing all folder settings, new Event errors 1016 and 7034, other things. But nice understanding a few I did not before.

rebop, Dec 1, 2017
  8. rebop Win User

Bree,

I am not finding a way to restart the old way. Can you detail? The Win-X menu does not do it and I have windows explorer open when I use ALT-F4, so it closes and I really want to just restart.

Thanks.

rebop, Dec 1, 2017
  9. rebop Win User
    Ahhh. I see. Its ALT F4 with focus on the desktop. A little faster, but not like it was.

rebop, Dec 1, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    For the shortcuts method, I use the commands shutdown.exe /p to shut down and shutdown.exe /r /t 0 to restart.

For more details on using shutdown commands, open a command prompt and type shutdown /? or see this tutorial.

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 (option 8)

You'll see that restarting apps has always been available with shutdown, what's new in Fall Creators Update is that the Start menu now uses this method.

11. rebop Win User
    Thanks again, Bree.

Latest noted change is ESET NOD32 takes a very long time to start and gives a message something like "we are registering with the security service" on each restart. I will look into that more today. That and the DCOM errors and I will be working as I was before the intrusion again *Smile

rebop, Dec 1, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    I have a problem with the firewall settings after upgrading yesterday - see Firewall Disabled Bug?. Has anyone had similar problems?

Steve C, Dec 2, 2017
  13. rebop Win User

All I can say is it seems the interaction between Defender and any other Antivirus has changed. They both lived better together before this update.

In my case, there was a new version of ESET that did not show when checking for updates through the app, but was on the website. It cured my issues. Perhaps there is an update for whatever other app you might be using?

rebop, Dec 2, 2017
  14. rebop Win User
    Two other things reset and now fixed:

1. Shortcut appended again to an app shortcut. I disabled that months ago, but this update rewrote the registry to the default.

2. Type commands in the RUN dialog were no longer remembered. I had set this a long time agao as well and the settings were changed buy this update.

Now, I had to update ESET to a new version just being rolled out. That created a new folder on MY IMAP server called Eset Antispam. It never asked and no settings for this. I have questions into ESET.

I got my first "pink" screen of death. Seriously. Undocked and restarted on batter and right after the Lenovo splash screen got the PSOD pagefault in NSKERNEL if I recall. Hoping this was a fluke. I have the memory dump

One more unexplored error 18 in Bluetooth I will research. New and happens on very boot now.

Ahhh, everything was working so well...

~Bob

rebop, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My 1709 Fall Creators Update Broke and Reset Mny Things - Similar Threads - 1709 Fall Creators

2. old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    old defender UI broken in Fall Creators Update 1709: Since the upgrade to Fall Creators update the old style Defender UI MSASCui.exe produces an error if you try to look at Quarantined items on the History tab. Error loading type library/DLL Error code: 0x80029c4a I'm not the only one, apparently. Also reported here......
  3. "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Users_old" directory after updating to 1709 Fall Creators: In Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help! Solved - Windows 10 Forums I posted of my confusion, a problem now solved, about an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 10 installed suddenly being unable to download and install updates. "Net" of that...
  4. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  5. Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable driver update regedit - 1709 Fall Creators Update: Hello How to turn off driver update via regedit ? os windows 10 fall creatros update 1709 Thank you 99435
  6. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  7. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  8. Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator's update (1709) broke the program index: I got the Fall Creator’s update recently, and it somehow broke Windows’ indexing of programs. I'm currently on Winver: 1709 (OS Build 16299.64). Before the problem: Windows 10/drive C: is installed on a 250GB SSD, but most programs are installed on a conventional 640 GB...
  9. Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) Update Issues: I am having issues updating from 1703 to 1709, and I could use some help. I used the native Windows Update tool to download 1709. I restarted my computer when prompted to begin the installation. I got about a quarter of the way through the installation when I got a blue...
  10. Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help: Hello,I have successfully installed the update But my Acer Aspire F 15 Notebook wont Reboot and shuts of when I use AIMP4 and A Browser at the same time,there are other issues but this is the worst,in generally my pc runs like the wind.*Mad 100134