Windows 10: my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update

Discus and support my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update for windows 10 1803... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by yavortsvetkov, Jul 23, 2018.

1. my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update

my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update for windows 10 1803

:)

yavortsvetkov, Jul 23, 2018

2. Startmenu not "updating"

Hey,

I got the following problem:

• Newly installed Programs/Apps will not show up in the startmenu
    • Programs/Shortcuts I add to the Startmenu folders want show in my startmenu
    • Startmenu search won't find the new items either, even not if they are pinned to the startmenu

What I have tried to fix my problem:

• Rebuilding my search index
    • Reinstalling all windows apps, including cortana
    • Try to locate the issue with the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) ⇒ nothing found
    • Running the troubleshooter ⇒ returns "incorrect permissions on Windows Search directoriers"
      • changed the default Search folder where the index is saved
      • checked permissions for the Search folder (seems ok)

What I think initially caused the error:

• I switched from German to English on my Win10 PC
      • I then realised that a lot of my searchable windows settings still showed inGerman and not in English and were in addition not clickable anymore (nothing happended)
      • I could not fix the issue so I switched back to German
      • This made the Win10 settings searchable and clickable again, but since then my Startmenu seems to be stuck on its old index
    I am running Windows 10 Education with the Anniversary Update - which for me removed Cortana (maybe this issue is connected?)

Any help or advise?

Ciaran Baulig, Jan 29, 2020
  3. st11x Win User
    App stuck as Tile, cannot add to All Apps StartMenu

Hi,

I have this strange issue on my install.

I added Eclipse to my system without installing it. It lives in a folder outside of Program Files and on another disk. Following online tutorials, I created a shortcut to it inside the %APPDATA% folder. This action causes the program to show up as a tile.

This is the shortcut

my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update [​IMG]

And this is the tile that got created

my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update [​IMG]

If I were to make a copy of eclipse.exe in the same folder, then create a shortcut to it, it works as expected; the shortcut gets added to the "Recently added" list, listed under the initial, no tile is created, and it is also found by Cortana.

I also noticed that if I had pinned the new item before (then removed it), it will not work again.

Any idea why this is happening and how do I fix this?

Thanks
    Matt

st11x, Jan 29, 2020
  4. my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update

Startmenu not "updating"

When I install new apps/programs they will appear in the startmenu. I have a few programs that are not installed though but just .exe files. When I create a shortcut and copy them to my Startmenu folder, they won't appear in my starmenu. Is there maybe
    an additional registry entry that I have/can make to add shortcuts to my startmenu? There must be something more than just the startmenu folder otherwise the newly installed programms would also not be showing up...

Ciaran Baulig, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update

1. my apps and shortcuts and startmenu not working after latest update - Similar Threads - apps shortcuts startmenu

2. Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts: Hi so i acidentaly deleted most of my shortcuts in the StartMenu\Programms folder, i dont know where they are in my trash bin. is there a way to recover the shortcuts in the Startmenu\Programms folder.Thanks-Theo Kos...
  3. Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Startmenu\Programs Shortcuts: Hi so i acidentaly deleted most of my shortcuts in the StartMenu\Programms folder, i dont know where they are in my trash bin. is there a way to recover the shortcuts in the Startmenu\Programms folder.Thanks-Theo Kos...
  4. my mic is not working after the latest windows update

my mic is not working after the latest windows update: what if i stop after doing this steps because i am scared will any thing effect my pc . i was try to fix this problem and i found this solution and i did every step and it re started my computer . what if i stop after this step will this effect my pcMy name is Carlo, I'm an...
  5. Microsoft store and apps quit working after latest update

Microsoft store and apps quit working after latest update: I have lost access to my Apps, can't get to the Microsoft Store, even the Help App tries to start then shuts down. This occurred after the June 8th updates.I don't know if this can be solved--...
  6. After latest update numerous windows apps not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After latest update numerous windows apps not working: After a windows update the following apps aren't working Microsoft Store Onenote for Windows 10 Photos And more that I don't really use Chrome and other apps that are not microsoft related still work....
  7. Apps not working after latest windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Apps not working after latest windows update: I installed the latest update a couple of days ago and since then most of my apps & programs in my start bar won't open. Clicking on most of them just gets no reaction at all, not even an error message or pop up, absolutely nothing happens. I can't open Netflix, Spotify,...
  8. Photos App Not Working After Latest Features update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Photos App Not Working After Latest Features update: The title says it all. I installed the latest feature update yesterday morning. Now, when I double click on a JPG image, I get a white screen and no image. I also tried to open the image by right clicking it and selecting "Edit with Photos." Again, the image doesn't open. Is...
  9. Rename a Shortcut in the Startmenu per CMD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename a Shortcut in the Startmenu per CMD: Hello I would like to rename a Shortcut, wich is created by a Programm but I always get "not found" as reply. I have tryed it with a textdocument on the same place and this worked perfect. And the CMD runs as admin. Details: Windows 10 Enterprise Build 1903 Program:...
  10. edge not lauch and working,my in my startmenu apps not launch and working

edge not lauch and working,my in my startmenu apps not launch and working: my microft edge not lauch and working,my in my startmenu apps not launch and working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/-/284117fb-d4a3-4361-846c-e47007499f9b