Windows 10: My audio is muffled when playing video games

Discus and support My audio is muffled when playing video games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; No matter what game I play my audio from both the game itself and external sources is always muffled, static-like or worse in quality. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Taran Patel, Dec 6, 2023.

1. My audio is muffled when playing video games

No matter what game I play my audio from both the game itself and external sources is always muffled, static-like or worse in quality. I have tried updating my computer, updating my drivers and restarting and nothing seems to work, this issue only occurs when I'm playing games too.

:)

Taran Patel, Dec 6, 2023

2. YouTube videos sounding muffled.

Hello there, I'm Gopal an Independent Advisor. I will try my best to help you.

I can see that you're experiencing an issue with audio muffled while playing YouTube and browser videos. In order to fix this issue please try the following steps

Step 1: Run the troubleshooter

Select Start > Settings > System > Sound > Troubleshoot common sound problems and select Output devices or Input devices.

Step 2: Turn off audio enhancement

- In the search box on the taskbar, type control panel, then select it from the results.

- Select Hardware and Sound from the Control Panel, and then select Sound.

- On the Playback tab, select and hold (or right-click) the Default Device, and then select Properties.

- Select the Advanced tab and uncheck either the Enable audio enhancements or the Enable sound effects check box (depending on which option you see), select Apply, and try to play your audio device.

If that doesn't work, on the Playback tab, select and hold (or right-click) another default device (if you have one), and select Properties. Uncheck either the Enable audio enhancements or the Enable sound effects check box (depending on which option you see), select Apply, and try to play audio again. Do this for each default device.

If the issue persists, please try to uninstall and reinstall the audio driver

- Press Windows Key + X, and select Device Manager.

- Select the arrow next to Sound, video, and game controllers to expand it.

- Select and hold (or right-click) the listing for your sound card or audio device, select Uninstall device, select the Attempt to remove the driver for this device check box, and then select Uninstall.

- Restart your PC.

I hope this will help you to sort out the issue. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

Regards,

Gopal

Gopal Krish, Dec 6, 2023
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Can’t hear audio while recording games or videos

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will need some more information to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps. Please reply with the following details:

• How are you recording the games or videos?
    • When you say, “I can't hear anything” you are unable to get the in-game audio or your voice?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

If you are using Game bar to record the games or videos, I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming.
    3. Click on Capture on the left pane.
    4. Clear the check box for Record gaming audio only.
    5. Follow the same steps for Broadcasting.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 6, 2023
  4. My audio is muffled when playing video games

losing audio when playing video games

Hi,

To isolate what's causing the issue you're experiencing, kindly provide us with some additional details:

• Were there any recent software or hardware changes made to your system prior to the issue?
    • Have you done any troubleshooting steps in trying to resolve it?
    • Do you experience the issue only when you're playing a certain video game?

Awaiting for your response.

Joanna 777, Dec 6, 2023
Thema:

My audio is muffled when playing video games

1. My audio is muffled when playing video games - Similar Threads - audio muffled playing

2. No audio when playing videos or audio on browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio when playing videos or audio on browser: I have no audio when watching videos on the internet. When using windows media player and other apps on the desktop there is perfect audio, however when watching videos on social media or youtube I have no sound at all.I am using windows 10 home version 22H2. All volume...
  3. No audio when playing videos or audio on browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio when playing videos or audio on browser: I have no audio when watching videos on the internet. When using windows media player and other apps on the desktop there is perfect audio, however when watching videos on social media or youtube I have no sound at all.I am using windows 10 home version 22H2. All volume...
  4. No audio when playing videos or audio on browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My audio is muffled when playing video games

My audio is muffled when playing video games: No matter what game I play my audio from both the game itself and external sources is always muffled, static-like or worse in quality. I have tried updating my computer, updating my drivers and restarting and nothing seems to work, this issue only occurs when I'm playing...
  6. All my audio sounds muffled when some games are open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my audio sounds muffled when some games are open: For some reason my audio sounds muffled when I open games such as Halo Infinite, and GTA 5, and I'm not sure what the problem is, I can't find any sound settings in the game that fix it, it's also not just game audio it's all of my computer's audio, but only when those games...
  7. All my audio sounds muffled when some games are open

All my audio sounds muffled when some games are open: For some reason my audio sounds muffled when I open games such as Halo Infinite, and GTA 5, and I'm not sure what the problem is, I can't find any sound settings in the game that fix it, it's also not just game audio it's all of my computer's audio, but only when those games...
  8. No audio when playing video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio when playing video: I have no audio when playing video. This started with the most recent build to Windows 10, v.1809. All of the sound drivers have been updated (by Microsoft, when they took control of my computer). I can get the sound to work by running the audio playback troubleshooter...
  9. Computer crashes to a green screen and the audio muffles when playing certain games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes to a green screen and the audio muffles when playing certain games.: Ever since I got my Windows 10 Home (Dec 2017) I played games on it, however, sometimes it would crash and I'd have to hold the power button and restart to access my computer again. Games like Garry's Mod work fine on my PC, but games like Skyrim don't and would crash after...
  10. Computer crashes to a green screen and the audio muffles when playing certain games.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes to a green screen and the audio muffles when playing certain games.: Ever since I got my Windows 10 Home (Dec 2017) I played games on it, however, sometimes it would crash and I'd have to hold the power button and restart to access my computer again. Games like Garry's Mod work fine on my PC, but games like Skyrim don't and would crash after...