Windows 10: My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives

Discus and support My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, Ver 1803 I have 2 external hard drives. When I plug either of them into a USB port I hear the normal beep sound, indicating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mr Ed, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Mr Ed Win User

My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives

Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, Ver 1803

I have 2 external hard drives. When I plug either of them into a USB port I hear the normal beep sound, indicating they've been recognized but they don't automatically play, even though auto play is enabled . They don't even show up in "this PC", as if they don't exist. Funny thing is, when plugged into my HP machine, running same OS, they show up OK. Both laptops are fairly new, so I don't know why the HP acts differently than the Toshiba. BTW, I'm pretty sure at one time the Toshiba was able to read the external drives OK. Maybe an update messed something up?

:)

Mr Ed, Aug 15, 2018

2. I can't access my external hard drive with Windows 10....

The computer doesn`t recognize the external hard drive. Help!

KristinaMacaskill, Aug 15, 2018
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 15, 2018
  4. My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home Global Support - us

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives

1. My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives - Similar Threads - Computer Doesn't External

2. External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External WD hard drive doesn't show in My Computer or Disk Management: [Windows 10 ver 1909 18363.1256] Hello everyone. I plugged my Western Digital Elements 2TB yesterday (the first time in months) to find that it did not show in My Computer. I took it out and reconnected the device, no luck. It doesn't show in Disk Management either. The...
  3. BitLocker doesn't see my external drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker doesn't see my external drive: I have a few external drives connected to my Dell Latitude 7310. I encrypted one and want to encrypt one more, but the second one doesn't show up in Manage BitLocker. My other drives do. I stored encryption keys on that drive at one point but have since moved them. Any help...
  4. Microsoft Store not seeing My External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store not seeing My External Hard drive: Hello I'm having trouble with the Microsoft store not detecting My External Hard drive it's saying From your compatible drives pick one with at least 127.0 GB And all that comes up is C: 10.9 GB Disk space remaining When I have got a hard drive which is called WEOYC25-1T F:...
  5. Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't see Networked External Hard Drive on either of my two computers: Hello, I am trying to share my External WD Hard Drive between my two computer so that I don't have to keep unplugging it and switching it between PCs. Both of my computers use Windows 10 and they are both plugged in using two Cat5 cables which are plugged into my Network...
  6. external hard drive not showing in my computer

external hard drive not showing in my computer: My seagate hard drive is not showing in my computer,also light on hard drive is not blinking. But it is showing in devices and printers. When I try to safely remove it nothing happens ,and after removing the hard drive, pop up comes "problem ejecting usb attached SCSIUAS mass...
  7. External hard drive not recognized in My Computer

External hard drive not recognized in My Computer: I have a USB External hard drive which is not showing up in My Computer although it was formerly. What can I do to correct this or access my data on it. I'm using Win10 with the latest updates. Thanks....
  8. External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.

External hard drive doesn't detect on my laptop.: I disconnected the hard disk without safely ejecting it. Now that usb port doesn't detect the external hard drive. But it detects other usb devices. Also the external hard drive works with my other usb ports. Please help me to fix my usb port....
  9. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing in My computer

External Hard Drive not showing in My computer: Hi, My external hard drive (Imation--Apollo m300) is not showing in My Computer. I can see the drive when I access Device Manager and Disk Management; BUT, the drive shows as having 0 Capacity, 0 Reserved Space, and 0 Unallocated space when I ask it to populate in the...