Windows 10: My computer shuts down to a strange state of stand-by

Discus and support My computer shuts down to a strange state of stand-by in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I'm not really sure what causes this, but whenever I shut down my PC, it goes to a weird stand-by mode. What I mean by that is every USB device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017.

1. rzepek2pl Win User

My computer shuts down to a strange state of stand-by

Hello. I'm not really sure what causes this, but whenever I shut down my PC, it goes to a weird stand-by mode. What I mean by that is every USB device is still running. A diode on my MOBO labeled 'stand-by' is lit. So far, I have three suspects - new PSU (Seasonic G-series 500W), new chassis (Silentium PC Gladius M20 Pure Black), or Win10's Fall Update. I'm pretty sure that stand-by thing started happening after I replaced my chassis. Can it be that I connected the power button in the wrong way? Or if it is the PSU, does it mean it's broken? I'm rather helpless when it comes to hardware, so I'd appreciate every little bit of help. Thank you in advance! *Smile

EDIT: I forgot to mention something probably crucial. The task manager keeps counting "Up time" even after I supposedly shut down my PC. That's what bothers me the most. That the computer consumes electricity all the time.

:)

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  2. garyoden Win User

Power icon did not shut down computer?

Turned win 10 off using power >shut down icons, screen went blank then into stand by, I turned the screen off. Turned the mouse off sometime latter>the to bed> light was on the computer!!! came back out into front room turned the screen on > logged on >
    tabbed my way to the icon Power>shut down. It shut down power light off! YA OK THE LAST TIME I HIT THE SWITCH AND THAT COMPUTER IS STILL IN PEACES!

garyoden, Nov 13, 2017
  3. My Computer shuts down instead of hibernating or sleeping, windows 10

The troubleshooter said it only adjusted some timeout settings having nothing to do with hibernation, but the problem is solved.

I did not click the Advanced checkbox before I ran the troubleshooter.

This meant that the troubleshooter listed all issues & gave me a chance to go forward or not with each change.

The troubleshooter identified several issues it didn't like, all timeout values it felt were inappropriate. For example, how long before the turning the display off when running off the battery.

None of these timeout values had unreasonable values, much less any seriously whacked out value like 99999, etc. None of the values related to hibernation or shutting down.

I let the troubleshooter fix all the values it didn't like.

Now my laptop hibernates correctly.

This implies either:

• There's some data-driven bug associated with one or more of these timers that the troubleshooter preempts when it updates the timeout values;
      or,
    • The troubleshooter is fixing something that it doesn't tell the user about.
    Whatever. If you really need to know what the O/S is doing, you probably aren't using this O/S to start with....

Tuna Fish #5, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  5. rzepek2pl Win User
    Exactly, that's my mobo.

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Nov 13, 2017
  8. rzepek2pl Win User

I actually did think about turning off the Fast Startup but I rejected that thought because it was on before I bought both the PSU and the chassis. On the other hand, since my system boots from an SSD in 10 seconds, I can give it a shot. I won't mind a little slower startup. I'm not home right now, but when I am, I'll check it out, as well as the USB selective suspend. Thank you! *Smile

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  9. rzepek2pl Win User
    I'll check my PC sleep state when I'm home. I just skimmed through that post so I still don't know how to change the sleep state. I'll be worrying when I check it, though. Thank you! *Smile

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  10. rzepek2pl Win User
    Unfortunately, none of your hints helped. *Sad

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  11. rzepek2pl Win User
    I checked my sleep state, but I still don't know what to do about it. :/

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    What is your ACPI state? Try setting that to one that works via the tutorial I linked. Please notice that there are more tutes at the end of that one.

Here's more reading if you like: System Power States (Windows)

Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  13. rzepek2pl Win User

The sleep states available for my system are: Standby (S1 S3), Hibernate, Hybrid Sleep, Fast Startup. I'll give those tutorials a read later tonight. I hope it helps me.

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
  14. Gordon7 Win User
    When your PC is turn off, but still connected to power outlet, it has a "Standby power supply" running at all time (+5V)!

All desktop PC work like that! As long as there is power to your PC's Power Supply, but you have shot down Windows, then
    this standby power supply (+5V) have to be there, so that your PC are able to turn ON again, when you need it!

This standby power supply (+5V) - supply 5V to all USB connectors, unless set to not do that, in Windows Power setting!

Allso this +5V will run a standby LED light, normally @ your PC power button, to tell you that it's ready to turn ON!

If you want all power to be OFF to your PC (= No standby power) then you have to switch off your Power outlet (Wall plug).

Gordon7, Nov 13, 2017
  15. rzepek2pl Win User
    I know what you mean, but I don't think that's the case here. You see, before I bought new PSU and chassis, this thing didn't occur. I think this started happening between buying a new PSU and buying a new chassis.

rzepek2pl, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

1. My computer shuts down to a strange state of stand-by - Similar Threads - computer shuts down

2. my computer is shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer is shutting down: liquid cooling fans suddenly run fast and my computer shuts downand instead of doing this all the time, it does it occasionally, the windows screen comes up and my computer shuts down itself....
  3. my computer is shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer is shutting down: liquid cooling fans suddenly run fast and my computer shuts downand instead of doing this all the time, it does it occasionally, the windows screen comes up and my computer shuts down itself....
  4. my computer is shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  6. Strange Shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange Shutting down: I have a strange problem, with a PC in Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a domain.- If I boot PC and after few minutes shutdown, it full shutdown fine.- If I boot PC and after many minutes shutdown, it hang to "Shutting down".- If I boot PC and after many minutes logoff user...
  7. Strange Shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Shutting down: I have a strange problem, with a PC in Windows 10 Enterprise connected to a domain.- If I boot PC and after few minutes shutdown, it full shutdown fine.- If I boot PC and after many minutes shutdown, it hang to "Shutting down".- If I boot PC and after many minutes logoff user...
  8. Strange Shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Shut down my computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shut down my computer: Where is "Close down my computer"? I can`t find where? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shut-down-my-computer/32ec328c-f29b-44ab-82d1-702dd4a2e766
  10. Strange messages at startup and shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange messages at startup and shut down: As of a few weeks ago I am getting new popup messages every time I start and stop Win10. I have tried start/restart in Safe Mode and with the internet disconnected. They go by very fast and I am unable to read some. I recorded the procedures with a camera and sent it to a...