Windows 10: My ctrl key is pressed forever (not physically)

Discus and support My ctrl key is pressed forever (not physically) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need help. My ctrl is just stuck being pressed infinitly, even though im not pressing it irl or either broken, its just that the computer thinks it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jeej Explosive, Aug 7, 2018.

1. My ctrl key is pressed forever (not physically)

I need help. My ctrl is just stuck being pressed infinitly, even though im not pressing it irl or either broken, its just that the computer thinks it is. I have searched everywhere and nothing works, i have tried fn + num lock and fn + ctrl but it doesnt work.

PS: Only the ctrl key is stuck, NO other keys are bugged.

PSS: I will not “your keyboard or computer is broken” answers.

:)

Jeej Explosive, Aug 7, 2018
  2. manofthem Win User

Booting without press any key

@dhievm go ahead and list the model number that gives exact specs/info.

Does it stop right at the Toshiba logo and sit there? Will it sit forever til you press a key, or will it eventually work after so long?

manofthem, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Both CTRL keys not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• Do you get any error message?
    • Did you make any changes in your computer prior to this issue?

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

Method 1: To check if Ctrl keys work in Onscreen keyboard.

• Press Windows Key + R and type osk and hit Enter.
    Try using Ctrl keys and check if that helps.

if you still face the issue, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Nikki0417 Win User

My ctrl key is pressed forever (not physically)

Windows key stops working properly after pressing "CTRL + Win"

Sometimes I'll accidentally hit ctrl+windows when I mean to press ctrl+z or another shortcut. If I do, the windows key gets stuck - not physically, but if I type any other key, the computer acts as though I'm holding the windows key down also. So, if I press
    "E" after hitting that combo, file explorer opens up, "L" locks that computer, and so on.

The only way I've been able to unstick the windows key is by hitting ctrl+win a second time followed by the ctrl key by itself. That allows me to type normally again, but the windows key stops functioning after that. If I press it to bring up the start menu,
    nothing happens. Instead, the key gets stuck and I'm forced to hit "ctrl+win ctrl" again.

This has been going on for several months, but it took me forever to pin down what was causing it. I'm fairly certain that ctrl-win combo triggers it. This happens whether I'm using my laptop's keyboard or a bluetooth one. So, it's something within the OS
    or another program that's causing it. How do I fix this, or disable it, if it's a feature? I already have sticky keys turned off.

My computer's a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14, if that helps.

Nikki0417, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

My ctrl key is pressed forever (not physically)

1. My ctrl key is pressed forever (not physically) - Similar Threads - ctrl key pressed

2. PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys: Couple weeks ago my PC started pressing these keys randomly and nothing helped, i will try reinstall windows from 11 to 10 and if problem won't disappear i will have no clues what's wrong with it....
  3. PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC press "Ctrl +" or "ctrl wheelup" keys: Couple weeks ago my PC started pressing these keys randomly and nothing helped, i will try reinstall windows from 11 to 10 and if problem won't disappear i will have no clues what's wrong with it....
  4. Left CTRL gets stuck but not physically, fixed by pressing Right CTRL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Left CTRL gets stuck but not physically, fixed by pressing Right CTRL: I'm looking for a more permanent solution to this problem rather than just clicking two buttons when I want to click one. Essentially, whenever I press Left CTRL, my computer thinks it is being held down, despite if I actually do hold it down or if I click it again. Pressing...
  5. Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??: I'm using surface pro 5th generation with Windows 10. Recently, it is acting as if Ctrl key is pressed while it is not. Please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-key-acting-as-if-it-is-pressed/c0665232-f51b-421d-9e22-71bc6dcc5535
  6. c key is pressed down not physically

c key is pressed down not physically: My c key keeps pressing down, and it is spammed. I use my pc for about 30 minutes, and then the c key is continuously being pressed down. I tried switching keyboards and I had no luck. I have no idea why this happens and I cant fix it. This happens whenever, if its when ill...
  7. The home key presses repeatedly (not physically)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The home key presses repeatedly (not physically): The home key presses repeatedly (not physically) I brought my Inspiron 3542 in 2017 and now the home button (the one beside end key) presses automatically and repeatedly making even writing a text impossible. Please Help! submitted by /u/RhythmJuneja [link] [comments]...
  8. CTRL Key being triggered without the physical key being pressed

CTRL Key being triggered without the physical key being pressed: Randomly my computer will act like my CTRL button is being held down and unless I press CTRL and ESC it doesnt FIX itself sometimes this doesn't work and I have to reboot. I have tried swapping keyboards and I have all the USELESS STICKY KEY functions disable for good reason....
  9. My pc is automatically pressing CTRL key...

My pc is automatically pressing CTRL key...: Hi; My HP P261ne & Suraface Pro4(without typecover) when i am typing anything that press CTRL! Example: I press "N"; But my HP laptop and my Surface tablet, are press "N" with "CTRL"!! My surface is using original windows 10 v1803 And my HP Laptop is using Windows 10...
  10. My left ctrl key stopped working, and the right ctrl key is pressing both keys

My left ctrl key stopped working, and the right ctrl key is pressing both keys: Hello fellow members, so I recently bought a new keyboard because I got a gaming PC, and probably 2 weeks into using this keyboard, during gameplay. the left ctrl key for some reason stopped working, and all of a sudden both ctrl keys were being pressed at the same time (and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error message ctrl key pressed down