Windows 10: My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but..

Discus and support My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but.. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i just got a new M.2 drive for my desktop. my current setup is a 100gb 2.5" SSD with my system on it and a 1Tb HDD with the data. I want to transfer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xdarkmario, Jun 8, 2017.

1. My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but..

i just got a new M.2 drive for my desktop. my current setup is a 100gb 2.5" SSD with my system on it and a 1Tb HDD with the data. I want to transfer windows over from the old 100 gb SSD to my new 256gb m.2 but this windows installation cant see my m.2 for nothing. no device manager, no 3rd party apps no nothing. But my bios can see it fine and i can install windows and boot windows from it too, the drive works. i had a issue with my registry before when i enables raid mode by accident and i had to remove the registry entry to boot up again. In my device manager theirs now a "serial ATA Controller" when i plugged in my m.2 and it cant find any drivers for it but when i boot up from the m.2 i dont have the issue, wheres the driver for this? important specs setup is as follows

motherboard: GA-Z97X-Gaming 3

100GB SSD (system boot)
    1Tb (Data storage user profile)

i have moved any ports from sata 4&5 as i was told and i updated my bios.
    what can i do about this?

:)

xdarkmario, Jun 8, 2017

2. Reuse Windows 10 product key on a new SSD

Hi, I have a HDD with windows 10 home installed on and I just got my new Samsung 960 PRO M.2 SSD. I want to use my new m.2 SSD as the bootable drive, but can I reuse the windows 10 product key on a new hard drive after already using it on another hard
    drive? Thank you for all your support!

Lars Nicklas, Jun 8, 2017
  3. DeanXH Win User
    Re-installing Windows 10 from my purchased cd

I have built a new system and in haste, purchased a very small M.2 card for my boot drive. Can I

simply remove the existing M.2 card and replace it with a new and larger one, then just re-install Windows 10

from my purchased Windows 10 OS cd?

DeanXH, Jun 8, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but..

Cliff S, Jun 8, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    Have you tried making an image with Macrium and putting that on the M.2 ?

Worked fine for me, but I`ll tell you this, and it`s just my opinion, but I bought a Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB to run Windows on, and it`s not even worth the effort, let alone the money to buy one.

I got 3200 Read and 1500 Write on my 1st benchmark, after that I couldn`t even come close to those numbers, and it ran at 40c to 45c. My 850 Pro runs at 25c to 29c and it`s warm today, although of course, the 850 Pro gets much better airflow.

I totally removed the 960 from the system and went back to my 2 ssd setup.

AddRAM, Jun 9, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    m.2 drives and slots can be SATA or NVMe, and in some case the slots can handle both. So an NVMe driver is only applicable if it's an NVMe drive.

Huh? I don't have RST installed, and I'm using two Samsung 950 NVMe drives in my Intel NUC Skull Canyon.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2017
  7. Mystere Win User
    @xdarkmario - Which model drive do you have?

Some boards share a traditional SATA socket with an m.2 slot, so if you already have a drive on the SATA socket, it won't recognize the m.2.

I'm assuming when you install windows on it, you are taking the 100GB drive out? that may suggest the shared conflict I mentioned. Which SATA socket are you installing the 100GB drive in?

Ok, looking at the manual, it looks like you can have either 1 m.2, 1 Sata Express, or 2 Sata3 drives connected to the same channel, but only one of those combinations. The Sata express sockets are the lighter color I believe. It says this:

It seems to suggest that the m.2 should take priority, but documentation isn't always correct.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2017
  8. My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but..

it was some kinda registry corruption so i was forces to dirty reinstall.

xdarkmario, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but..

1. My current windows 10 installation wont find my new m.2 drive at but.. - Similar Threads - current installation wont

2. why wont my m.2 show up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why wont my m.2 show up: ive looked in the the disk management, files, and even tried bios and reslotting everything. how would i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-wont-my-m2-show-up/191afa00-7310-4bd4-b597-e6c4391a1aad
  3. why wont my m.2 show up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why wont my m.2 show up: ive looked in the the disk management, files, and even tried bios and reslotting everything. how would i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-wont-my-m2-show-up/191afa00-7310-4bd4-b597-e6c4391a1aad
  4. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive: MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFICPU: 5600XRAM: 16GB 3600MHZ DDR4GPU: PALIT 980BIOS VERSION: E7C95AMS.2D0M.2 DRIVE: Crucial P3 Plus 2TBOTHER DRIVES: NoneI am currently trying to install windows on my MIL's new m.2 drive in her desktop PC.When in UEFI mode the bios does not...
  5. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive: MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFICPU: 5600XRAM: 16GB 3600MHZ DDR4GPU: PALIT 980BIOS VERSION: E7C95AMS.2D0M.2 DRIVE: Crucial P3 Plus 2TBOTHER DRIVES: NoneI am currently trying to install windows on my MIL's new m.2 drive in her desktop PC.When in UEFI mode the bios does not...
  6. Windows 10 install on new m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 install on new m.2 ssd: Hi, i already have licensed windows 10 on hdd, so i just bought a new m.2 ssd to improve the performance. The question is if i do a clean install of windows on the ssd using the usb drive, what will happen to the windows on the hdd? Can i enter the same key or do i have to...
  7. Installed Windows on a new M.2 while current Windows M.2 was connected. Now it's a mess.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed Windows on a new M.2 while current Windows M.2 was connected. Now it's a mess.: First off, whatever team set up how installs of Windows 10 works with leaving the boot stuff on the old drive if you have it installed and only installing the other half of the files all deserve to be fired. It's pathetic how horrible Windows is when it comes to being user...
  8. Windows 10 to my new SSD m.2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 to my new SSD m.2: I've been watching videos and I was using an external SSD to put windows 10 on my SSD m.2, but when id open bios the boot option wouldn't show up. now I'm trying to download windows to my 28GB flash drive and it says it needs more space? Some tips would be helpful. submitted...
  9. Installed M.2 drive is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed M.2 drive is not recognized: I installed a new WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III -WDS100T2B0B onto a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170. Windows doesn't recognize the drive but it does appear in my BIOS. so far what troubleshooting I've done through the MB data...
  10. Denied Permission to Access My New M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Denied Permission to Access My New M.2 Drive: I recently purchased a new Western Digital Blue 1TB M.2 2280 SSD. I tripled checked that it works with my available motherboard slots and all that stuff, but I'm still having issues with Windows. When I click on the drive it says "You don't have permission to access this...