Windows 10: My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please

Discus and support My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My new computer (8 GB RAM, i5) has Windows 10, which I like, but I am having trouble getting to grips with its “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” Control... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Stevekir Win User

My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please

My new computer (8 GB RAM, i5) has Windows 10, which I like, but I am having trouble getting to grips with its “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” Control Panel setup, which seems to offer many more options on what to include in a backup compared to my discarded Windows 7 machine.
    What I Want:
    1. Automatic daily backups of the Windows system, drivers and programs, so if the system gives trouble I can return more-or-less to where I was before.
    2. My personal files (Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos) excluded in that automatic backup. I use FreeFileSync to cover these which is vastly quicker than Windows 10 Backup and Restore.
    3. A System Image also excluded from the automatic backup. This is because I find it itself adds 45 minutes to a backup and therefore slows the computer while I am often working, and during that 45 mins it is impossible to sleep or shut down the computer.
    4. However, the options available in Backup and Restore, (except in one case, see below) result in my personal files (documents etc.) also being backed up. This takes 45 minutes even with a system image not included and is obviously not needed (because of FreeFileSync).
    What I have done:
    5. I have therefore set up tailor-made settings in Backup and Restore which exclude all personal files (Documents, Pictures etc.) but include programs and similar. This setup takes only 12 minutes. Please see attached IMAGE 1 and IMAGE 2
    What I plan to do (in addition to the above automatic backup):
    6. Manually make a system Image when convenient, such as when leaving the computer for a meal or going to bed (in both cases making sure that the computer will be set not to sleep for an hour).
    7. Make regular backups of my personal files (Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos) using FreeFileSync.
    8. Make sure that System Restore Points continue to be made by W 10’s Backup and Restore routine, and by me before changes are made.
    9. Create a System Repair Disc.
    10. Make a Recovery Drive to restore or reset the PC.
    11. Use Microsoft Installation Media on a DVD if needed to restore or reset my PC
    Two questions please:
    Q1: Does all this seem reasonable and effective against mishaps?
    Q2: In particular, will the settings in items 1 to 5 make effective use of Backup and Restore?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Stevekir, Jun 9, 2016
  2. hadimassa Win User

Restoring from pc to an E51

I advice you to reset the E51. Dial *#7370# 12345 reformat, you'll lose all data. Restore the backup you made before without the settings.

hadimassa, Jun 9, 2016
  3. N73 memory full?

Restoring the backup would bring the problem back because you're restoring the database too ...

Glad to help - feel free to rate my post My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please :)

TheChosenOne22, Jun 9, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

You might want to check out Macrium Reflect Pro or any similar 3rd party backup/restore program. Windows backup/restore may or may not do all that you want.

RolandJS, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Stevekir Win User
    Thanks. I tried hard to use Macrium on my Windows 7 computer (now replaced by this W 10 one) and found it difficult. I don't know why. In any case I want to stick with Windows Backup and Restore.

Has no-one got any comments on my setup (the original post)?

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My Custom Made Backup and Restore: Advice please - Similar Threads - Custom Made Backup

2. In-place Restore Advice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In-place Restore Advice: Hi AllI have been having a problem with my File Explorer on Windows 11 see link below I have tried all the suggestions that I've received via this community and Microsoft themselves have tried to resolve the issue to no avail.Microsoft has recommended that I perform a...
  3. In-place Restore Advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In-place Restore Advice: Hi AllI have been having a problem with my File Explorer on Windows 11 see link below I have tried all the suggestions that I've received via this community and Microsoft themselves have tried to resolve the issue to no avail.Microsoft has recommended that I perform a...
  4. Partition advice please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  5. Backup strategy advice

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup strategy advice: Hi there, I would like to ask some of you for advice on how to make better backups for my Windows 10 PC. Right now I have the file history tool set up for important things like documents and such. However, there's also some stuff that I don't need to be saved in multiple...
  6. Backup Advice.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Advice.: Hi, I need some backup advice. I have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2x4TB (RAID 1) storage and was wondering if I would need any other sort of backup device so I don't lose my valuable data? Maybe another NAS or an extra SSD 4TB? 141789
  7. Current remote backup service advice please!

Current remote backup service advice please!: I'm afraid i have not kept up with all the changes that keep happening; as my doctor used to say 25 years ago, i'm getting old... Though i think i am fairly good at being careful, sooner or later i will click on the wrong thing or visit the wrong website, and even if i...
  8. Documents Backup advice

Documents Backup advice: Can anyone suggest a simple to use free programme to backup my documents folder to an external drive. Just a simple copy all documents and then any changes to the backed up folder, every hour. There seems so many to choose from and to be honest I am no computer expert and...
  9. Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.: Hi folks, hope everyone is well. I have made some backup of windows 10 that was installed on a SSD and just to make sure it would work ok, I installed the backup on a standard HDD, but getting lots of problems when I actually reach the desktop, monitor keeps flickering...
  10. Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple System Images using Backup & Restore - advice?: I have a requirement for a machine that can easily be reimaged to various versions of Windows (all 32 bit). This PC gets lent out, to be reimaged on return. It is also used as a reference machine for support purposes, so the systems should be 'pure' Microsoft (meaning Backup...