Windows 10: My display driver shuts down unexpectedly when playing games

Discus and support My display driver shuts down unexpectedly when playing games in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; "Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check windows Update for a newer display driver." This is the message I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kenner Howard, Jul 10, 2018.

1. My display driver shuts down unexpectedly when playing games

"Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check windows Update for a newer display driver."

This is the message I see every time after my display driver shuts down while playing games. That's at least what I'm assuming is happening when my screen goes black and I have to re-start my computer.

I've had about 4 crashes so far. The first one I was playing a game and I paused and turned off the screen to go do something. I come back and I turn on the screen: Nothing happens. I end up manually restarting my computer via the big button on the front, and guess what, everything's black and white and a weird resolution: it was the Microsoft Basic Display Driver. I ended up re-installing my graphics driver (allowed my graphics driver to turn back on), and then I updated my graphics drivers (they were a year out of date). This proved beneficial, because in the next crash, instead of using Microsoft Basic Display Driver after restart, my driver was able to turn back on. This happened three times, and after each I got the same error message that I first mentioned.

So just to recap:

• I did update my drivers, and it had some affect.
    • I get the same error message every time.
    • Screen goes black during these crashes; everything else seems to run fine.
    • This only happens when playing games.

And also:

• This is a new problem.
    • I've been able to run these games for a long time for hours on end before.
    • Only thing that might be affecting this is that it's summertime...

My computer specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Memory: 4GB

Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro 600

:)

Kenner Howard, Jul 10, 2018
  2. xarzu Win User

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

xarzu, Jul 10, 2018
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Issue with display while playing a game

Hi Deb,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with display while playing a game.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• From where did you download the game? Is it from Windows Store?
    • Do you get any error message?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

This issue could have occurred due to corrupt display driver.

I suggest you to download and install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.
    If Windows 10 driver are not available then install latest driver in compatibility mode.

To install the display driver in compatibility mode, I would suggest you to follow these steps.

a. Download the latest display
    driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

b. Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

c. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

d. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and
    select latest Windows version from the drop down list.

e. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jul 10, 2018
  4. My display driver shuts down unexpectedly when playing games

My Computer unexpectedly shuts down while playing Taptiles Tap Tower hard and expert levels

Hi,

Upon checking this thread, It is a case to case basis why your
    computer unexpectedly shuts down while playing Taptiles Tap Tower on hard and expert levels.
    Some of the components of the game are maybe corrupted or the drivers of your PC needs to be updated.
    We would suggest that you update your operating system to the latest build.

Feel free to provide us a feedback.

Jomari Arc, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

My display driver shuts down unexpectedly when playing games

1. My display driver shuts down unexpectedly when playing games - Similar Threads - display driver shuts

2. Games unexpectedly shut down pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games unexpectedly shut down pc: As the title says games steam run fine for few minutes then immediately shuts down and sometimes restarts the system. What's weird is few work fine but literally any/everything else I fired up from beefy titles like witcher 3 to several visual novels and indies which run on...
  3. Games unexpectedly shut down pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Games unexpectedly shut down pc: As the title says games steam run fine for few minutes then immediately shuts down and sometimes restarts the system. What's weird is few work fine but literally any/everything else I fired up from beefy titles like witcher 3 to several visual novels and indies which run on...
  4. My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant: This is happening since June, my pc suddenly died or turn off and theres no nothing like bluescreen or something and i am sure this is not because my hardware is overheating because i played other games too that are much heavier than valorant and its fine never had a problem...
  5. My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant

My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant: This is happening since June, my pc suddenly died or turn off and theres no nothing like bluescreen or something and i am sure this is not because my hardware is overheating because i played other games too that are much heavier than valorant and its fine never had a problem...
  6. My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant

My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant: Hello! My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly every time I play Valorant, it usually crashes 1 or maybe even 5 times a day and it only happens when I play Valorant. I checked event viewer to see what's making my PC shut down and I found a few errors that were prior to the...
  8. My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing Valorant: Hello! My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly every time I play Valorant, it usually crashes 1 or maybe even 5 times a day and it only happens when I play Valorant. I checked event viewer to see what's making my PC shut down and I found a few errors that were prior to the...
  9. Shut down unexpectedly.

Shut down unexpectedly.: Please help.I don't know when was the first time this problem occur but here it is. The previous system shutdown at 11:22:44 PM on ‎30/‎3/‎2022 was unexpected.The previous system shutdown at 1:15:00 AM on ‎3/‎4/‎2022 was unexpected.The previous system shutdown at 2:17:00 AM...
  10. My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing graphic-intensive games or other...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC keeps shutting down unexpectedly when playing graphic-intensive games or other...: I built my PC over a year ago -- my first ever -- and I've had a lot of issues. It works 95 percent of the time, but it crashes randomly. At first, I blamed my GPU, so I bought a new one. Then, I blamed my PSU, so I just purchased a new one, too. When playing certain games,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. while playing woow my display shuts off