My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files

Discus and support My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why is the My Documents folder on Windows 10, suddenly reporting 50 GB and around 24,000 files, when actual size is about 950 GB, and 20 times that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Phil3, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Phil3 Win User

Why is the My Documents folder on Windows 10, suddenly reporting 50 GB and around 24,000 files, when actual size is about 950 GB, and 20 times that many files? I know it is that big. Trying to copy My Documents to a 500GB drive tells me there is 950 GB discovered and cannot move all the data to a 500B drive.

Thanks.

Phil

:)

Phil3, Jul 1, 2018
  2. Riel Alc Win User

documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Prabhavathi Patil Win User

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files - Similar Threads - Documents Folder Grossly

2. Files and folders gone inside Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and folders gone inside Documents: I really don't know what happened. My folders in my documents are gone. I was pulling a repo using sourcetree then it got an error(saying something about it didn't got all the files needed). I just canceled that for a while and returned to unity(a different repository) but...
  3. Files and folders gone inisde Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and folders gone inisde Documents: I really don't know what happened. My folders in my documents are gone. I was pulling a repo using sourcetree then it got an error(saying something about it didn't got all the files needed). I just canceled that for a while and returned to unity(a different repository) but...
  4. Files disappearing from my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Files disappearing from my Documents folder: Yesterday I found that certain files had disappeared from my Documents folder. Some, but not all, of them had also disappeared from the back-up copies I keep in an external hard drive. I had made no changes to my computer and the files were there the day before. I did a...
  5. Documents folder suddenly completly empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder suddenly completly empty: Hello all, Today I turned on my (what I believed to be perfectly functional) PC to discover to my horror that my Documents folder (where I keep everything of value) is completely empty. My SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. 1yr old I believe. What I've tried: 1) Restarting...
  6. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  7. Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed

in Windows 10 Support
    Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed: I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a SSD. I'm keeping many files on an external USB hard drive. I had included the external drive's Documents folder in my Documents library. The File Explorer displayed files and folders on both the internal SSD and the external drive...
  8. Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open scanned document in Public Documents folder: My wife and I have administrator accounts on the same computer. I recently scanned a document and saved the scan in the Public Documents folder ( I have public folder sharing turned on). I can open the scanned document without a problem but when my wife tries to open it she...
  9. Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Help with folder permissions for Pics, Videos, Documents etc: You might want to check out this tutorial also Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
  10. flummoxed - OneDrive kidnapped document folder

in Windows 10 Support
    flummoxed - OneDrive kidnapped document folder: If your Documents folder exists in your "C:\Users\<username>" folder, then you might see if using step 5 in Option Three in the tutorial below may be able to restore the "Documents" folder in "This PC". *Arrow Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10 Windows 10...