Windows 10: My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files

Discus and support My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why is the My Documents folder on Windows 10, suddenly reporting 50 GB and around 24,000 files, when actual size is about 950 GB, and 20 times that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Phil3, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Phil3 Win User

My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files

Why is the My Documents folder on Windows 10, suddenly reporting 50 GB and around 24,000 files, when actual size is about 950 GB, and 20 times that many files? I know it is that big. Trying to copy My Documents to a 500GB drive tells me there is 950 GB discovered and cannot move all the data to a 500B drive.

Thanks.

Phil

:)

Phil3, Jul 1, 2018
  2. Riel Alc Win User

documents files and folders

Hi Paul,

For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What were the steps you've tried to reverse the alphabetization of files and folder name?
    • Can you provide us a sample screenshot of the issue?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jul 1, 2018
  4. My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files

1. My Documents Folder Grossly Understates Size & Files - Similar Threads - Documents Folder Grossly

2. My “Documents” folder has become a file 0 size and no extension…

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My “Documents” folder has become a file 0 size and no extension…: Windows 10 home. My computer recently crashed because of bad ram. Corrupting my Desktop folder and Documents folder. After resolving the ram issue and running windows auto repair, the desktop was rebuilt by windows though all my files were gone. The Documents folder was not...
  3. My “Documents” folder has become a file 0 size and no extension…

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My “Documents” folder has become a file 0 size and no extension…: Windows 10 home. My computer recently crashed because of bad ram. Corrupting my Desktop folder and Documents folder. After resolving the ram issue and running windows auto repair, the desktop was rebuilt by windows though all my files were gone. The Documents folder was not...
  4. My “Documents” folder has become a file 0 size and no extension…

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Text size not increasing in document folder not icon size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text size not increasing in document folder not icon size: This is not the usual size of file icon problem e.g.- small icon, large icon, extra large icon when i increase the size of the icon the text size stays the same small and i cannot read it as it is zoomed out compared to usual. and its to small to read I've tried ctrl and...
  6. Text size not increasing in document folder not icon size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text size not increasing in document folder not icon size: This is not the usual size of file icon problem e.g.- small icon, large icon, extra large icon when i increase the size of the icon the text size stays the same small and i cannot read it as it is zoomed out compared to usual. and its to small to read I've tried ctrl and...
  7. Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.

Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.: Why I cant delete folders and files in my documents folder also on some folders like videos and pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-and-folders-in-documents-folder/65b04852-3916-4099-b1ac-585106682994
  8. list file folders by size

list file folders by size: The suggestion of typing in size just does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-file-folders-by-size/0d2ff370-1f7e-4ade-a118-b553a9ab303e
  9. Transferred photos and videos showing grossly exaggerated file sizes. Cannot transfer or open.

Transferred photos and videos showing grossly exaggerated file sizes. Cannot transfer or open.: I believe I have stumbled upon some odd bug. Running windows 10 build 1909. I have a folder full of family photos, I went to copy them on to my backup and noticed the file sizes were huge. The whole folder is apparently 68tb and checking size on TreeSize shows the same. The...
  10. Folder file size help!

Folder file size help!: Need some help because I absolutely cannot figure this out. I have a folder on my desktop that when I right click and go to properties it says it is 4.25 GB. When I move the folder to another folder on my computer and right click it only shows it as 1.25 GB. Anyone know...