Windows 10: My Documents folder is missing

Discus and support My Documents folder is missing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all I have just formatted my PC last Monday, and i have installed drivers and Steam and American Truck Simulator. I know that my saves and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrFeelgood, Feb 4, 2016.

1. My Documents folder is missing

Hello all

I have just formatted my PC last Monday, and i have installed drivers and Steam and American Truck Simulator. I know that my saves and mods are in My Documents folder and ATS loads still fine after the folder is missing.

When I go to C:\Users\drfee there is a folder called Documents, but there is nothing in it, but where have My Documents folder gone? And yes hidden items is checked.

Kind regards

:)

DrFeelgood, Feb 4, 2016

2. Documents folder is missing

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would glad to help you with the issue you are facing.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve

the issue.

Please follow the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/restore-files-upgrade-windows-old

Also refer to the below link.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors in windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Hope this helps if the issue persists do get back to us we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Documents folder is missing

Hi, I've reading some posts with this kind of question but none helped me, so I decided to make a new one. First, sorry my bad English, it's not my native language.

Today, because this didn't happen until today, I was playing some games on my computer when it turned off and blue screen appeared with this message: (A program was making the blue screen appear)

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. (% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION"

After that, my computer started normally. That blue screen appear like four times before the real problem began. After the 4th time, when the computer started again, but this time, it was like a brand new computer, the desktop was now empty, with some shortcuts
    that were there the first time that I turned it on, the desktop image was different, and so was the menu when you press the windows buttom, it was like bigger. When I saw my documents folder it was empty. Searching on my computer, I was able to find every
    file, the desktop ones and even the document folder. Everything was here: C:\Users

The first thing I did, because I wanted to recover some games save files, was move every file from that document folders to the new one. I repeat, move, I didn't copy them because I didn't want 4 extras GB.

Screenshot (The one that is on the right at the top, instead of the one that was in CMy Documents folder is missing :)

After doing it I tried to use the program again, so the blue screen appeared once more. After rebooting the PC started normally, and I mean, as before, I recovered from my desktop image to every file, but, when I saw the documents folder, it was empty because
    I moved them before to the other document folder. The thing is that I'm not able to find that documents folder, so I lost every file.

Right now I'm trying to use a program to recover the lost files, but I'm not sure if It is going to work, so I decided to comment it here because I'm sure that someone is going to know something.

Thanks for reading and i'll be looking at the answers, right now it's 01:00 AM here, so if I don't answer today, I'm going to do it tomorrow.

I didn't know if use "Files, folders & storage" at topics, or "Update, backup & recovery"

LucasSandoval_976, Feb 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

My Documents folder is missing

Brink, Feb 4, 2016
  5. Thanks Brink it was, but I still can't see the folder

I can see now that i have on my C: drive a Windows.old folder, but it isn't in there either.

DrFeelgood, Feb 4, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 4, 2016
  7. That didn't work either *Sad

DrFeelgood, Feb 4, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ok. Next, check to see if they may be in your Documents library.

Brink, Feb 4, 2016
  9. There isn't anything in Documents

DrFeelgood, Feb 4, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Type shellMy Documents folder is missing :personal in the address bar of File Explorer and press Enter to see if it opens to your Documents folder.

Just to verify, the files were not in your OneDrive Documents folder?

Brink, Feb 4, 2016
  11. icodious Win User
    Did you set your documents folder to a custom location previously during install? If so I'll bet the farm that windows updated and noticed it wasn't where "THEY" put it and made a new one and now slowly all your redirecting to old location will start to fail causing slow access, then no access. I cant believe the balls on Microsoft in Win TEN, you can spend hours slowly installing to custom drives ,turning off all their updates / tracking/ addware. Block it with a dam fire wall . it'll run great , perfectly for weeks till Windows finds a way to update, without so much as a pop up to ask if its ok and Bam. It starts putting everything back to defaults. You'll know it happened because all the BS you turned off will start back up. My Favorite is Cortana , said no ten times, turned it off ten times, but twice a week it's back getting in my way when I try to access my start menu. I guess once you install Win 10 its There PC and were just using it. Really sucks for us avid users, "Designers, gamers, ect.." cause we have way to much to store on one drive in default style. Its the worst slap in the face from Microsoft yet . I guess it might be cool to someone who barely uses/ knows computers, but if you have to use it all day every day you'll find out real quick that its just riddled with junk, system sucking, crapwhere, that saves no time and doesn't need to running . Computers are getting so fast that it doesn't save any time, by having all that crap running and updating at it's own will. Turn it all off and when I need it I'll Fn click on it, walla, just as fast. Its got so much going on that you need to get it protected and locked down immediately!! I think Spybots Immunity finds like 130,000,000.00 plus vulnerabilities to immunize on a clean install, every time. Who sells a house without doors? Microsoft does.

icodious, Feb 4, 2016
  12. There is nothing in that folder, but a thing i don't understand is how can ATS access my save games when the folder isn't there hm.

DrFeelgood, Feb 4, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

ATS has the files saved in some other location that we're trying to locate.

You might check the settings in the games to see if one may show you where its default save location is.

Brink, Feb 5, 2016
  14. b1rd Win User
    Hey DrFeelgood-

If I read things correctly, you're saying that you know that you have some gaming files saved somewhere, because they are being accessed by another gaming program, but you have been unable to locate where they are? I might have missed it, but did you try doing 'search' for any of the files, then identify their location that way?

There's a program that is good to have, that might help too. It's called Everything.

15. #11 ATS don't show where the save files is, but before the folder went missing they were located in My Documents where it but my mods.

#12 I have tried to do a search for the save game files. It can only locate them on One Drive.

DrFeelgood, Feb 5, 2016
Thema:

1. My Documents folder is missing - Similar Threads - Documents folder missing

2. My local documents folder is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My local documents folder is missing: I unsynched my onedrive account because i want to house my files locally and not use onedrive. Promptly after doing so my documents folder stopped functioning and then disappeared completely. I need this file for game functionality how do i resolve this?...
  3. My local documents folder is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My local documents folder is missing: I unsynched my onedrive account because i want to house my files locally and not use onedrive. Promptly after doing so my documents folder stopped functioning and then disappeared completely. I need this file for game functionality how do i resolve this?...
  4. Two documents folder and my pictures folder missing

Two documents folder and my pictures folder missing: Hi,I was doing some messing around with onedrive and wanted it all to be nice and organised within onedrive. So that whenever I opened the ondrive folder I would see documents, pictures etc.. as different folders but instead the way I did set it up it was all just merging...
  5. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing: All the files in my documents folder are missing. Cannot find them anywhere. Folders inside documents folder are still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-has-folders-inside-but-files-in/8fcd4d0f-e1ca-494d-9e80-6fce88ed458b
  6. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing: All the files in my documents folder are missing. Cannot find them anywhere. Folders inside documents folder are still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-has-folders-inside-but-files-in/8fcd4d0f-e1ca-494d-9e80-6fce88ed458b
  7. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

8. Missing 'My Documents' Folder

Missing 'My Documents' Folder: I recently discovered that my 'My Documents' folder is gone from my Windows 10 PC. I believe it happened after one of the Windows updates.I contacted MicroSoft and we worked for two hours, but with no luck. We did a system restore to an earlier date, but still not luck. My...
  9. Documents Folder is missing in C drive.

Documents Folder is missing in C drive.: I've been trying to install some mods onto a game on my laptop all day to no avail. I realized that my documents folder isn't in my c drive and I have tried registry, and copy and paste the folder in and nothing works. I haven't backed up my laptop before, so that isn't an...
  10. Missing 'Documents' folder

Missing 'Documents' folder: I just booted up my new PC with an SSD primary drive and a secondary HDD for storage. I was attempting to relocate my default user folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, etc) to the HDD and somehow screwed it up. I started with the Documents folder and realized I had messed...