Windows 10: My experience and opinion with Windows 10

Discus and support My experience and opinion with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am an old man not quite senile and still with most of my common sense and thinking ability. I even have gained experience computing over the years.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by carbuff, Sep 28, 2015.

1. carbuff Win User

My experience and opinion with Windows 10

I am an old man not quite senile and still with most of my common sense and thinking ability. I even have gained experience computing over the years. However, nothing prepared me for the frustration and angst I had installing Windows 10.

It seems to me that most people who buy a computer believe it will function from day one. That it will take on their part a period of time in which they learn to operate it properly. This majority of computer owners are neither technicians nor programmers. They simply want the computer to work as intended so they can exchange emails, do on-line shopping, check the news and manage their personal business affairs, etc.

I was part of that majority but over the years I found it interesting knowing more about how the computer worked and as a consequence, delved into the physicality of the computer’s components. I taught myself to do simple things like add HDD, SDD, memory and cards. I even conquered my fears and have replaced the CPU and PSU. Guess this shows you can teach old dogs new tricks.

When Microsoft offered the free upgrade to Windows 10, I eagerly accepted the offer because I not only wanted to have the “most state-of-the-art OS but also to take advantage of having it for free. Ha! Doing so, I found myself in the most frustrating period of computing I have ever experienced.

First, I could not get Windows 10 installed on my desktop. No matter which procedure I used, direct installation from the notification, using the Media Creation Tool and its different methods, and at one time or another during this terrible ordeal, stripped the computer of all connected disks other than the OS disk, unconnected hubs holding large capacity backup HDD’s, pulled out 3rd party sound and graphic cards, uninstalled all 3rd party software including anti-virus apps, and all non-Microsoft drivers. I replaced every Microsoft driver I could with the then current Microsoft driver. Lastly, I made sure I had all current updates.

Nothing worked. I spoke to the computer manufacturer, Microsoft and sought assistance from considerate members of this and other computer forums.

STILL NOTHING WORKED! I could not download or install Windows 10!

I was about to give up and then tried one more time. This time, I replaced the existing HDD in my computer with a new unused SSD. Next, I installed windows 7 and no other software or hardware. I used the MCT and successfully downloaded Windows 10 and installed it. As quickly as I could, I next did a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10.

This entire process, working hours each day, took from July 29 to August 24. My wife thought I was on the road to insanity hearing the heat of my voice and language as each attempt failed.

As frustrating and time-consuming as this all took, today I am happy that I now have Windows 10 on my desktop. Yes, I have had a few minor glitches with it. But, after implementing solutions Windows 10 does make computing a pleasure again.

I appreciate getting this OS free from Microsoft. Nevertheless, I am critical that they release it with so many bugs I recognize that many posts in forums are made by those complaining rather than extolling. However, the sheer number of real issues have made this release quite frustrating to many of us.

If you had a great experience installing and using Windows 10, I applaud your success. I only wish it had gone smoother and more rapidly for me.

:)

carbuff, Sep 28, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

cbs.log

In my opinion and experience, CCleaner isn't very healthy to use with windows 10 unless you uncheck most items and understand what the checked items actually do.

'Mike P, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Losing data connection

What device and carrier are you on?

- Windows Answers Moderator - Windows Desktop Experience MVP - Matthew Arkin (@microsoft_cares) | Twitter

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Need to send me an email? Click my Name, my email is on my profile page.

Matthew Arkin, Sep 28, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

One thing to bear in mind is that many people, including myself, bought and installed the retail version of Windows 10 and installed it cleanly on fairly new hardware and it works almost perfectly. This at least shows that the capability is there for it to work properly and that is somewhat comforting.
    I suspect a lot of issues people have with the new operating systems were because of doing upgrades on systems that had issues beforehand and they have transferred over or even gotten worse.
    Anyway, from what I've seen, this is a good forum for sorting out issues and for helping others through your own experiences. Just trying stuff out; fine-tuning here and there, makes things work out in the end.

Kanata, Sep 28, 2015
Thema:

1. My experience and opinion with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - experience opinion

2. New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending: There's an apparently new feature that is being rolled out by microsoft. It is a new way to connect to your phone. I can not get it to install even though the option is available on my pc. I've contacted microsoft support and instead of solving the problem, they told me to...
  3. New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Cross Device Experience Host won't install for me...stuck on pending: There's an apparently new feature that is being rolled out by microsoft. It is a new way to connect to your phone. I can not get it to install even though the option is available on my pc. I've contacted microsoft support and instead of solving the problem, they told me to...
  4. I am not able to download windows web experience pack I didn't get the download option in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am not able to download windows web experience pack I didn't get the download option in...: My email is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-not-able-to-download-windows-web-experience/ba2515fb-6395-43cd-af4b-8e38b5fe74a5
  5. I am not able to download windows web experience pack I didn't get the download option in...

I am not able to download windows web experience pack I didn't get the download option in...: My email is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-not-able-to-download-windows-web-experience/ba2515fb-6395-43cd-af4b-8e38b5fe74a5
  6. How to log in to computer when the correct password doesn't work? Support experience awful,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to log in to computer when the correct password doesn't work? Support experience awful,...: I purchased a brand new Dell Latitude 3540 and set it up today. Everything was working smoothly and I had set it up using the Microsoft 365 account that I had created - I was not asked to set up a separate password. The laptop then goes into standby whilst my desk is...
  7. How to log in to computer when the correct password doesn't work? Support experience awful,...

How to log in to computer when the correct password doesn't work? Support experience awful,...: I purchased a brand new Dell Latitude 3540 and set it up today. Everything was working smoothly and I had set it up using the Microsoft 365 account that I had created - I was not asked to set up a separate password. The laptop then goes into standby whilst my desk is...
  8. How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...: OK, so I have 3 monitors with 3 different background images. all Jpeg files. Every time I update my Nvidia 3060 drivers, I update manually and just download the current driver needed. While downloading the monitors go black and flicker a few times then my main monitors...
  9. How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...

How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...: OK, so I have 3 monitors with 3 different background images. all Jpeg files. Every time I update my Nvidia 3060 drivers, I update manually and just download the current driver needed. While downloading the monitors go black and flicker a few times then my main monitors...
  10. How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...

in Windows 10 Customization