Windows 10: My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4

Discus and support My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi hope this is the right place and someone can help. I had to convert my external hdd to ext3 ext4 in order to use with a zgemma box but I now want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017.

1. gibbsy09 Win User

My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4

Hi hope this is the right place and someone can help.
    I had to convert my external hdd to ext3 ext4 in order to use with a zgemma box but I now want my hdd back to normal by formating it but my PC doesn't recognise it I done a long search on Google but no joy so I would appreciate it if someone could offer some advice here thanks.

:)

gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017
  2. C4f4s0g0 Win User

[MOVED]Bash on Ubuntu on Windows home folder location

But even the C drive isn't EXT4, and the home folder is there on the AppData folder.

C4f4s0g0, Jun 26, 2017
  3. Sam___ Win User
    [MOVED]Bash on Ubuntu on Windows home folder location

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to change the Ubuntu's home folder location to a secondary storage like my D: drive.

No. Ubuntu uses it's own file system called EXT3 or EXT4 (depending which one you selected during installation). This file system is not compatible with Windows NTFS.

-Sam

Sam___, Jun 26, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Does it show up in Disk Management? You should be able to right click on the partitions/volumes shown and delete each volume. Then you can create a new partition, format it (probably want NTFS), and assign a drive letter.

If that doesn't work, then open a Command Prompt (Admin) or a Powershell (Admin) and run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the number of the external hard drive
    clean <- this will erase the disk selected above - make sure it is the USB hard drive!
    convert gpt <- this is optional. If you do not do this command you will get an MBR drive, not a GPT drive.
    create part pri
    format fs=ntfs quick
    assign
    exit
    exit

NavyLCDR, Jun 26, 2017
  5. gibbsy09 Win User
    Hi no that's the problem it doesn't even show up in disk management either so I can't do anything with it shows up in device manager but just shows up as unknown device tried uninstalling and reinstall but no good just shows up unknown thanks.

gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does it show up in the list of drives when you run diskpart, list disk?

Also, try disconnecting the drive. Restart the computer by selecting RESTART from the power icon from the start menu. After the computer restarts, then plug the drive into a USB port. A black USB 2.0 port would be better than a blue USB 3.0 port until you can get it working again.

NavyLCDR, Jun 26, 2017
  7. gibbsy09 Win User
    No again tried that and it just shows my onboard hdd pulling my hair out lol.

gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Sounds like the USB to SATA adapter is bad. Is this a big 3.5" desktop hard drive that requires a power supply? Is it plugged in and the power switch turned on?

NavyLCDR, Jun 26, 2017
  9. gibbsy09 Win User
    No it's an external USB hdd

gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, but external USB HDDs come in two sizes. Commonly referred to as Desktop and Laptop.

Desktop, 3.5" hard drive with power connector and switch:

My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4 [​IMG]

Laptop or Portable 2.5" hard drive with just the USB port:

My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4 [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 26, 2017
  11. gibbsy09 Win User
    No mate alot smaller than those just a cheapish job from ebay with a mini USB port and cable leading out with two male USB connectors thanks.

gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then it sounds like the USB to SATA interface (the box the hard drive itself is in) is bad. You are plugging both USB connectors into separate USB ports? One of those connectors is for the data and power, the other is for supplemental power only. If you have only the connector for supplementary power plugged in then the computer won't see the hard drive.

But if you do have both USB connectors plugged into USB ports, then it sounds like the interface is bad.

NavyLCDR, Jun 26, 2017
  13. gibbsy09 Win User

Hi mate I tried plugging the two USB it still never recognised it is a small portable hard-drive pretty thin it comes with one cable on one side there is a mini USB and on the other there is two USB connectors when I I used it on my zgemma box I just connected one USB connector and it worked fine it was still working fine in the box as well but I just decided to use it for something else so removed it from the box tried to format it on the PC but it wouldn't recognise and I assumed this was the case because I converted it to ext3 and 4 in order for it to work on the box but after researching I realised that it would be hard for the PC to recognise it again and I can't get passed that so I think the drive is working fine but my PC just doesn't see it thanks.

gibbsy09, Jun 26, 2017
  14. Windows diskpart shows my Raspberry Pi micro SD cards. They have a fat32 Boot partition but the second partition is a Linux partition? Diskpart doesn't know what it is but shows it.

alphanumeric, Jun 26, 2017
  15. cigtoxdoc Win User
    When youhave two OS on one drive, format for NTFS ainf install Win 10. Then use Gparted or similar tool tioio reduce size of NTFS partition and format remainder to EXT4. Then put in other OS such as one of the linux based distros. With Ubuntu, it puts a front end on that gives you choice of booting Ubuntu or booting Win 10. If you add ext2 volume manager to Win 10 you can read/write to ext4 partition.

john

cigtoxdoc, Jun 27, 2017
Thema:

1. My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4 - Similar Threads - External hdd converted

2. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now: I switched my laptops hdd to ssd and converted the HDD to external hard drive but was unable to get rid of the partitions and windows installed on it. Initially it used to work but it was kinda slow. But now the partition containing windows doesn't open up and other drives...
  3. My external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external HDD: My external HDD is no longer listed on my files menu. It used to be fully accessible under the "F Drive". But now I can't gain access to any of my files that are on it. It doesn't show up under drives anymore, instead, it's under devices and printers. Is it possible I loaded...
  4. My external HDD

My external HDD: My external HDD is no longer listed on my files menu. It used to be fully accessible under the "F Drive". But now I can't gain access to any of my files that are on it. It doesn't show up under drives anymore, instead, it's under devices and printers. Is it possible I loaded...
  5. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  6. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  7. Convert local drive to Windows to go on an external HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Convert local drive to Windows to go on an external HDD?: So I have an SSD with Windows 10 on it, I'd like to convert it to "Windows to go" on an external hard drive, How can I convert it without losing my data? submitted by /u/Abbix57 [link] [comments]...
  8. Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file reader for windows

Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file reader for windows: Hi folks If you have any Linux formatted HDD's (with Ext2/3/4) file system and you want to read directly from Windows - say external USB from another system and don't want to have to set up SAMBA and a Linux OS then this program handles it quite nicely. BTW Macrium free...
  9. Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing EXT4 formatted HDD (USB3) with Windows -- slow performance: Hi there Sharing a LOCAL USB3 HDD with windows I'm not getting very fast transfer for USB 3. Local USB 3 HDD attached to a VM machine on Windows HOST. HDD shared with Windows and VM via SAMBA. Transfer speed though seems slow for USB 3. EXT4 file system is usually V....
  10. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?: My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable...