Windows 10: My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro

Discus and support My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Let me tell you what I did this morning. 1. I removed every program that can possibly interfere with Windows 10 Upgrade. 2. I restored all services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gary, May 24, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro

Let me tell you what I did this morning.

1. I removed every program that can possibly interfere with Windows 10 Upgrade.
    2. I restored all services to default.
    3. I turn on the UAC
    4. I updated Defender
    5. I removed Avast as instructed.
    6 I went to the default Aero Theme
    7. I removed the Logon screen and program for it and made it default.

After doing all of the above I tried once again to update this time though Windows Update. It seemed to be going OK and then guess what. I got another BSOB .
    So then it started to restore my previous installation of Windows, and it couldn't even do that so I was left with a screen that said there was not an operating system found.
    Once again Thank God that I have Macrium Relect. I restored Windows 7 in less that 2 minutes using it. I then destroyed every Windows 10 DVD I have. I am done with 10, at least until it is final.

:)

2. Johnjpj Win User

Windows 10

My PC, running Windows 7 Ultimate, has downloaded the Free Windows 10 at least 4 times. Each time it completes but does not install and within Windows Updates says it has failed. I have just noticed that on the fifth attempt it is actually (automatically)
    trying to Download Windows 10 Pro. How can I get it to download Windows 10 (and not pro)?

Johnjpj, May 24, 2015
  3. New microsoft 10 update. Stuck on grey screen with a loading sign in the middle.

I have a grey screen!

I was running Windows 8.1 and downloading Windows 10, so I do not have the install disc!

Keys do not work so cannot access using keystrokes!

This will be the fifth computer I've attempted to install Windows 10 on.

The first three were easy. The fourth was the beginning of the nightmare that the fifth one has become.

The laptop in question HP ProBook 4720s had to have a replacement hard drive installed and after

attempting to reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64bit, I gave up and bought 8.1. After numerous attempts, I finally

got Windows 8.1 installed but was unable to update to 8.1 Pro so am settling on Windows 10 Home, if you can get your **** together and make the download work. How about a phone number for specific assistance? Your help pages are worthless as most do not
    list the error codes that are displayed, do not address specific problems and as a result send users to a community help page, not staffed by Microsoft employees. It appears that Microsoft now puts out garbage and expects users to fix the problems themselves.
    Time to support other operating systems!

KennethSloan, May 24, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Why not just perform a clean install?

Boozad, May 24, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    Because I want to upgrade so I can have all of my programs. This seems to be a feat that won't happen.

6. Dude Win User
    Sorry to hear that Gary. Maybe they will get it ironed out eventually.

7. Ztruker Win User
    I would suggest doing a Clean Install just to see if it works. If not then maybe you have some hardware that is not compatible with Windows 10 or you are missing hardware/BIOS support that Windows 10 requires.

You can restore via Macrium once done.

Ztruker, May 24, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

I can do a clean install just the upgrade is a problem

9. badrobot Win User
    When I encounter problems like that I am always thankful because the only option left is clean install which is always a good thing. Starting fresh over again with garbage free OS.

How are you doing the upgrade?

badrobot, May 25, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    That's good, at least you know there is no hardware basis for the problem, has to be remnants of the currently installed OS that is causing the problem. Hopefully when 10 is released this problem will be fixed as this will be the way most people will be getting 10.

Ztruker, May 25, 2015
  11. How is Win7 configured - where is the active partition.
    Any chance you have UEFI firmware instead of BIOS?

Please post a screen shot of your disk management, make sure the information is clearly presented in your iage
    Close the left and right panes
    drag the Status column wider
    drag the middle separator up or down to fit more information.

Here's an example form my Win8.1 bootup

My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro [​IMG]

Please follow this tutorial to provide the current operating environment of your machine.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tem-specs.html

Thanks

I commend you for your efforts, it is important. I hope you're feeding MS your results - I'm going to guess that they can glean useful information from WER and EVT files. I'm not sure when they collect the telemetry, but they might grab it when you report an issue. On my Win10 installation every WER was sent to MS, I didn't have to do anything extra.

But you're not on Win10 - so you might have to nudge the reporting process from the Win7 side.

It sounds as though you're taking the correct steps and actions.

Slartybart, May 25, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    I will post back when I get back into Windows 7. I am in Windows 10 in which I did a clean install of build 10125 and so far this is the best one yet. I tried many ways of updating Win 7 from using the Downloaded ISO and extracting it and running the setup up to and including using Windows update which is a waste of time as you have to update to 10074 first.

13. Gary Win User

I have a feeling that I am going to have to perform an inplace upgrade repair of 7

14. Gary Win User
    Yes it is.

15. Gary Win User
    Here is the Disk Layout:

My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro [​IMG]

Thema:

1. My Fifth and Final Attempt to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro - Similar Threads - Fifth Final Attempt

2. windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...: I was doing the upgrade of my laptop from windows 7 pro to windows 10. I completed the necessary procedures and reached the last part of the installation procedure. After 73% of progress, this error pops up. I cannot complete the installation of windows 10. During the final...
  3. windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...: I was doing the upgrade of my laptop from windows 7 pro to windows 10. I completed the necessary procedures and reached the last part of the installation procedure. After 73% of progress, this error pops up. I cannot complete the installation of windows 10. During the final...
  4. windows upgrade from 7 pro to windows 10. cannot complete the installation at the final...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Pro upgrade to Windows 10 Pro: I recently used the msi tool to update a windows 7 pro machine to windows 10 pro. It appears to have a activated the install just fine and is working? Is this install legal?...
  6. Windows 7 Pro upgrade

Windows 7 Pro upgrade: Hello .... the Laptop I'm trying to upgrade to windows 10 is giving me some problems .... when I go through the process to upgrade before the final installation it asks if I want to continue with Windows 10 Home version .... but the laptop has Windows 7 Pro. Can someone...
  7. Will Final Draft 11 require an upgrade to PRO?

Will Final Draft 11 require an upgrade to PRO?: Hi guys! I'm crazy old school and am looking to replace my beloved Sony Vaio with a Surface Laptop. A Best Buy employee has me all kinds of confused about Windows 10 S. Can anyone tell me if I'll need to upgrade to PRO in order to download Final Draft 11 and Scrivener...
  8. After 2 days, finally upgraded to windows 10 pro!

After 2 days, finally upgraded to windows 10 pro!: I was finally able to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro after loading the default bios settings. The fail codes I had included, 80240020, 0x80246017, C1900101, and 80246010. I have a homebuilt Intel 980x with an EVGA X58 LE motherboard with 16GB of RAM. Once I...
  9. Repeated failure of attempted upgrade from Windows 7

Repeated failure of attempted upgrade from Windows 7: In the past few months I’ve upgraded three different desktop PCs and my Acer TravelMate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no significant problems. I’m now run into trouble trying to upgrade an Asus laptop in the same way. I’ve tried twice. The first attempt failed with the...
  10. Microsoft celebrates the fifth anniversary of Surface Pro

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft celebrates the fifth anniversary of Surface Pro: Surface Pro celebrates its fifth anniversary with a look back at its history and a special offer of $200 off the cost of the new Surface Pro over President’s Day weekend.* [img] Over the last month, I’ve spent a lot of time with the team reflecting on the last five...