Windows 10: My File History is not working properly. It's huge!

Discus and support My File History is not working properly. It's huge! in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have Win10 installed as an upgrade to Win 7 Simply stated, I have C drive for programs (~119 Gigs), E for user (~49 Gigs), H (784 Gigs) for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chuckiechan, Jun 26, 2016.

1. My File History is not working properly. It's huge!

I have Win10 installed as an upgrade to Win 7

Simply stated, I have C drive for programs (~119 Gigs), E for user (~49 Gigs), H (784 Gigs) for my external back up ( which includes Win10 image.

My File History is 313 gigs on my external H drive. The only relative files are in E: user for a total of about 50 gigs.

Something is not correct. I didn't see a setting that I could change, and I don't know if deleting the File History folder on the drive will fix anything. But obviously I'm backing up something I shouldn't be!

So a little guidance would be appreciated...

If it matters, the C drive is an SSD, E is internal platter, and H is an external platter.

Thanks in advance.

:)

chuckiechan, Jun 26, 2016

2. Is File History Working properly for some people?

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

File History regularly backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the
    OneDrive files available offline on your PC. Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files. For example,
    if you want to restore an older version of a file (even if it wasn't deleted or lost), you can browse through a timeline, select the version you want, and restore it.

I would suggest you to refer the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Restore files or folders using File History

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-use-file-history

Set up a drive for File History

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Note: The above links also works on Windows 10.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Is File History Working properly for some people?

Not helpful.

I understand how file history is supposed to work. I relied on it and found it to be most useful in Windows 8.

The description of how it is supposed to work does not answer the question I posted, nor does it help in any way with the problems I am having. None of the three links attached are relevant to the problems I am having.

I would prefer to have no reply at all to one that is a waste of time.

GordonLeonard, Jun 26, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

My File History is not working properly. It's huge!

Hi.
    I haven't used the W7 file backup in a while, but I do remember that it will make backups, then more backups, then even more backups. They are identified by date ranges, and you can find them in the Manage Backups area. I remember having to always go in there and delete older date ranges to free up space. Quite cumbersome, and not very reliable, so I am using Macrium Reflect Free now, with better control and more reliability.

Hope that helps.

simrick, Jun 26, 2016
  5. Thank you. I use that too. But my issue is with the File History app.

chuckiechan, Jun 26, 2016
  6. It seems to be OK now.

I shut off File History, then I deleted the File History folder - it took an extremely long time for some reason. Then I made sure the back up folders that File History was to back up were only those on the "data" drive.

I restarted the computer, turned File History back on, let it run and repopulate all night. It seems to be finished and so far it's ~ 52 gigs, which is about what I would expect.

I'll check it again in a month, and it goes rogue again, I'll let you know.

Cheers.

chuckiechan, Jun 27, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Sounds good! *Smile

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

My File History is not working properly. It's huge!

1. My File History is not working properly. It's huge! - Similar Threads - File History working

2. file history not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not working properly: file history not backing up all folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-working-properly/9e4ff9ba-9064-4d87-9fca-ecf7a733f9e4
  3. file history not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not working properly: file history not backing up all folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-not-working-properly/9e4ff9ba-9064-4d87-9fca-ecf7a733f9e4
  4. file history not working properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File History Not Working Properly, Too Slow

File History Not Working Properly, Too Slow: Hello! I recently bought a new laptop and have been attempting to transfer my files from the old to the new using file history. Using an external drive, I backed up my files on the old pc. I then set up the new PC, set up file history, and restore from a previous backup....
  6. File History Not Working Properly, Too Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History Not Working Properly, Too Slow: Hello! I recently bought a new laptop and have been attempting to transfer my files from the old to the new using file history. Using an external drive, I backed up my files on the old pc. I then set up the new PC, set up file history, and restore from a previous backup....
  7. File History Not Working Properly, Too Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File History not working properly

File History not working properly: After multiple hard drive formats, resets of File History configuration files, and general system maintenance overalls, File History still will not work properly. It will switch on and make a backup to the selected internal HDD Selected folders for backup are C:/Users/Me...
  9. File History not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History not working: New PC, copied all data from old PC (ie didn't run Backup/Restore of old PC data). No problem until I tried (and failed) to get File History working. The program runs but only saves fragmentary 'bits' of the new PC. When I review the files (ie Documents) I get the msg 'File...
  10. File History not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not working: I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for...