Windows 10: My file names have gained a little extra

Discus and support My file names have gained a little extra in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After a factory type reinstallation of Windows I used File History to recover data from my external drive. Every file name has been extended with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Mar 12, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

My file names have gained a little extra

After a factory type reinstallation of Windows I used File History to recover data from my external drive. Every file name has been extended with something like Code: (2016_11_12 18_50_08 UTC)[/quote] . Can anyone tell me why this has happened, and how to prevent in the future, please? I suppose the only way to deal with the current situation is a slog to rename.

:)

chipwood, Mar 12, 2017
  2. LEE 68 Win User

September update

since update photos and pictures have gone, and I've gained extra files and folders that were not there before

LEE 68, Mar 12, 2017
  3. memory reorganiser N97

I don't know how it works, but some sort of defrag action may be correct. I just know it has gained me a bit of extra space a few times, if I uninstall something (like maps or any other app) when I check file manager my C will have increased, but if I run
    re-organiser, I will gain anything from point one of a meg to 1.2 meg, so I always delete the un-install app so I can re-use it again ! Every little helps

:smileyhappy:

carman58---01, Mar 12, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Did you restore them using File History or copy/paste them from the backup? Did your computer name change when you did the re-install?

Looks like this is your issue and has some solutions - you can automate the renaming and/or fix File History linkage.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-900222486956

5. chipwood Win User
    How I actually restored is misty ( aged related condition *Smile), but the computer name was changed. I'd not used a Msoft account before. Will try that link's methods.

chipwood, Mar 13, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    . Can anyone tell me why this has happened, and how to prevent in the future, please?[/quote] File History appends the time/date to each name name when it when it copies them to the File History folder on the external drive - it's how it keeps track of revisions. If you use File History to restore the files it strips the time/date off again as part of the restore process.

The files in the history folder (apart from the name) are exact copies of the originals, so there's nothing to stop you copying them back with File Explorer. Looks like that may be was what was done here.

7. chipwood Win User
    I've just installed the Bulk rename app, However in the Windows Answers thread is
    Nowhere in the renaming app can I see a "Word" box. can anybody advise.please, what the equivalent box is now?

chipwood, Mar 14, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Just downloaded latest version from Download - Bulk Rename Utility

Here is the "Words" box they are talking about:

My file names have gained a little extra [​IMG]

9. chipwood Win User
    Thanks for that! *Smile I have subject to what I can't see under the arrow cleared sections 7, 8 and 9 too. My screen looks like yours, but I still cannot see how to actually rename the files, Rename being greyed out.

chipwood, Mar 14, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    I think you need to select the files you want to rename - you can use CTRL+A when you are in the correct folder in the top left.

If you want to process subfolders as well tick the "Subfolders" box in "Filters 12"

Thema:

1. My file names have gained a little extra - Similar Threads - file names gained

2. I have 4 files named dashost.exe. I am wondering what are the extra files. virus/safe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have 4 files named dashost.exe. I am wondering what are the extra files. virus/safe: I was wondering what was the need for dashost.exe. What my search results; This executable pairs both wireless and wired devices with your PC. It’ll be used if you use a Bluetooth mouse or a wired mouse, and the same thing goes for printers, webcams, etc… It also said there...
  3. I have 4 files named dashost.exe. I am wondering what are the extra files. virus/safe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 4 files named dashost.exe. I am wondering what are the extra files. virus/safe: I was wondering what was the need for dashost.exe. What my search results; This executable pairs both wireless and wired devices with your PC. It’ll be used if you use a Bluetooth mouse or a wired mouse, and the same thing goes for printers, webcams, etc… It also said there...
  4. extra files in my disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    extra files in my disk: I saw that the e disk takes up extra space, which is not visible, about 200gb. I got this problem in the method I tried, I can't see the files in the photo inside the disk....
  5. extra files in my disk

extra files in my disk: I saw that the e disk takes up extra space, which is not visible, about 200gb. I got this problem in the method I tried, I can't see the files in the photo inside the disk....
  6. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?: Window 10 ProVersion: 20H2 Installed on: ‎11/‎20/‎2021 OS build: 19042.1387 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 I just built a computer, and yesterday had just the 20H2 update as the last thing my updates would present. upon finishing the install and...
  7. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?: Window 10 ProVersion: 20H2 Installed on: ‎11/‎20/‎2021 OS build: 19042.1387 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 I just built a computer, and yesterday had just the 20H2 update as the last thing my updates would present. upon finishing the install and...
  8. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. extra files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    extra files: should i delete these files or are they important system files circled in blue [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extra-files/2c4a8f19-471d-457d-87d2-63a37f0bee34
  10. Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge gains a little bit of market share in February: Back in December of 2015, we reported that Edge was losing market share in the US and worldwide, which didn’t bode particularly well for the browser’s future. While people are migrating to Windows 10, it seemed that they were holding on to their previous browsers (including...