Windows 10: My Files turn into folder

Discus and support My Files turn into folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I am running Windwos 10 for almost 2 years now. I have 2 external Hard Drives and a lot of files on these drives appear as folders. I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spyrosps, Dec 22, 2017.

1. spyrosps Win User

My Files turn into folder

Hello. I am running Windwos 10 for almost 2 years now.
    I have 2 external Hard Drives and a lot of files on these drives appear as folders. I cannot view them, delete them, copy them or do anything else.
    Windows produce a "... is not accessible. The directory name is invalid" warning.

- This happens only to external Drives. My internal hard files seem OK.
    - This does NOT happen to specific file types. It happens to .srt files, any kind of video files as well as any kind of image files.
    - It turns out that files are NOT corrupted. Using IObit Unlocker, I can unlock and copy my files to another path and they seem OK. But I can do it only one file at a time.

I noticed that there is another guy with the same problem in your forum but there was no solution proposed.
    The Directory Name Is Invalid - Windows 10 Forums

Can you please help?

:)

spyrosps, Dec 22, 2017

2. Folder converted into 32kb files

There is no doubt that you're infected with a Virus, but can send a screen shot?.

What were the last steps taken before this happen?

Regardless, please run Windows Defender (or your own Anti Virus), update its Virus Definition, and Run a full PC scan.

Expectation: After the Virus scan, it not definite that the files will be recovered, not even if you use System restore, since basically they are destroyed. I would also suggest you to minimize your relationship with the Internet until the
    PC is cleaned from threats.

Update me when done.

Gina_on_the_thread, Dec 22, 2017
  3. Arun R.S Win User
    Folder converted into 32kb files

Lots of folder in my external hard disk converted into 32kb file. chk disk not helped help me to recover those folders

Arun R.S, Dec 22, 2017
  4. pyramid10 Win User

Welcome to the Forum.

This is a guess on my part, mainly because something somewhat similar happened to me. I downloaded a file to my specific C:\ folder. Of all the files in the folder, this particular file showed a folder icon from my regular file browser, XNView. Windows File Explorer allowed me to 'open' the file. But XNView wouldn't let me do anything with the file.

My solution was to go to the Properties of the file from File Explorer and retype the filename. The folder icon changed back to the default icon in XNView, and I was able to move the file to another folder.

So the question I would ask is, are these files pre-Windows 10 (from another system)? Perhaps using a different utf (unicode transformation format)?

pyramid10, Dec 22, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    I'm assuming it could be something to do with Permissions.
    Maybe someone can suggest what to do to take permissions of everything, or look online on how to take permissions on files/folders.

pepanee, Dec 23, 2017
  6. spyrosps Win User
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    Unfortunatelly, I haven't found any solutions yet, and I'm not sure whether it is Windows 10 I should blame or something else.

After some more search, I can now tell it happens to multimedia files. (images, sound and video files). I son't know why, most of the files converted to folders have never been used for tha past 10 years.

spyrosps, Jan 1, 2018
  7. lifetec Win User
    I found this on the net Folders appear empty or files won't open or are read only after moving an external drive to another PC

Do not know if this applies to your specific case but look at it on this linkhttps://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas....aspx?ID=17632

Were the data of these 2 external HD drives made with your current system/OS/pc or on a other/older system/OS/pc.

And how did you move these files to the 2 external HD disk using Cut and Paste or Copy and Paste

Maybe you can look into this.

lifetec, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My Files turn into folder - Similar Threads - Files turn folder

2. All of my files turning into a .ahui file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All of my files turning into a .ahui file: So i was playing some games on my pc and then i got tired and turned it off. after 3 hours i turned my computer on and saw that all of my files, including .exe ones and everything has turned into a .ahui file. i searched everywhere and couldnt find a solution so if there are...
  3. All my shortcuts, files and folders have turned green instead of yellow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my shortcuts, files and folders have turned green instead of yellow.: When i switch on I find that most shortcuts, files and folders have turned green instead of the usual yellow which I prefer. There is also a green tint when I play some games. Please help....
  4. All my shortcuts, files and folders have turned green instead of yellow.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my shortcuts, files and folders have turned green instead of yellow.: When i switch on I find that most shortcuts, files and folders have turned green instead of the usual yellow which I prefer. There is also a green tint when I play some games. Please help....
  5. Large folder turned into a file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large folder turned into a file: As title says..the folder is very big but the file now just a few kbs but as I can still see that the space on the external HD is the same as before I'd guess that the files are still there. This also makes it really hard to use the partial back up as I don't have enough...
  6. my user name folder turned into desktop icon folder

my user name folder turned into desktop icon folder: hi guys, i did something unaware,and my name folder under users has changed to desktop folder...and all the files and folder in it are now displaying on my desktop..i have tried to rename..but it is throwing error!![ATTACH]...
  7. [HELP] OneDrive folder is disappeared it turns into a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [HELP] OneDrive folder is disappeared it turns into a file: Hello everyone, I had some trouble with Onedrive, The synchronization folder suddenly disappears, rather it becomes a file only 0 KB. [ATTACH] I thought it was still on my hard drive but I could not access it. My partition has a capacity of 292GB but has used 276GB...
  8. Windows folder turned into a 0KB file? What is that stupidity??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows folder turned into a 0KB file? What is that stupidity??: Hi there, First of all, thanks for your upcoming help, even though I kinda already know that the only solution is to format. Or to get away from Microsoft stupidness. My laptop has 2 SSDs, one that's integrated to the motherboard, and one 2,5" that I installed, the last...
  9. In windows 10 all of my files in download folder have disappeared & file history is turned...

In windows 10 all of my files in download folder have disappeared & file history is turned...: About 3 days ago, I had problems with my Windows 10 key (it stopped working) and I thought I'd update the program and then noticed that all of the files that had been downloaded prior to Feb 9th (going back years) were now not in the download folder or C drive. When I went to...
  10. some of my folders turn to unknown file type please help

in Windows 10 Support
    some of my folders turn to unknown file type please help: Please some of my folders turn to files i cant read can any one help me please [img] In red de folders that turn into this files thank you 66855