Windows 10: My first clean install with Windows 10

Discus and support My first clean install with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have downloaded the new O.S onto a USB memory stick ready for the clean install. My question is, will I be better off by formatting my SSD 'C'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bluenose1940, Oct 30, 2015.

1. My first clean install with Windows 10

I have downloaded the new O.S onto a USB memory stick ready for the clean install.

My question is, will I be better off by formatting my SSD 'C' drive before performing the process or, does the install format the drive as it goes along?

I would like to think that the drive is really nice and clean before doing the clean install and so, if formatting prior to the installation is best, then that is the way I would prefer to go.

Many thanks.

:)

Bluenose1940, Oct 30, 2015
  2. JonKrisp Win User

Windows 10 install stuck after first reboot/ clean install on a new SSD.

Windows 10 install stuck after first reboot/ clean install on a new SSD. I don't have any peripheral connected (only mouse and keyboard) or any other hdd. I followed the steps from microsoft win 10 clean install, but everytime get stuck after first
    reboot. The first problem was that the install ( from a flash drive) get stuck at the first logo, but I changed my videocard with the onboard one and now its working and the install start.

JonKrisp, Oct 30, 2015
  3. my first Win User
    lost email folders

My Surface pro has lost a number of email folders each of which contain up to 50 emails in them,

how can I retrieve them?

Robin Currie

my first, Oct 30, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

My first clean install with Windows 10

• Temporarily disconnect all other HD/SSD except the one you plan to install Windows.
    • Disable Secure Boot in BIOS if enabled.
    • Boot up the PC with Windows Installation USB
    • On the first screen. Hold down SHIFT + F10. A command Windows will pop up.
    • Type: diskpart
    • select disk 0
    • clean
    • exit
    • exit
    • Continue with the installation, select Customize, click on Disk 0 then click Next, Windows Installation wil create all needed partitions then install the rest to the SSD.

topgundcp, Oct 30, 2015
  5. Hello topgundcp, thank you for your help with this, much appreciated. I thought that I would do a quick check this morning and so I switched off and restarted my pc, I was given a couple of options, F2 to enter setup and F12 for the BIOS. I pressed F12 but couldn't see any reference to 'secure boot' anywhere. There just seems to be a list of the drives that I have. Does that mean that secure boot doesn't exist on my machine.
    Number 7 on your list says 'clean', is that the same as 'format' giving me what I am looking for, i.e. a formatted disk prior to installation?
    Thanks again for your help.

Bluenose1940, Oct 30, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Your Model is quite several years old so I guess it only has the legacy MBR support then you don't have the secure boot option. That means you will be installing Windows 10 using the legacy MBR.

clean is not the same as format. just an unallocated space which you will need to create partition then format. However, with MBR partition scheme, If you create a partition and format first then install Windows, Windows will install everything in C drive without creating a 500MB System Reserved partition.
    My suggestion above is to leave it unallocated and let Windows Installation creates the needed partitions, format them then install Windows.

topgundcp, Oct 30, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    I have a question - Have you ever had Windows 10 activated on that PC yet ??
    If you have never activated windows 10 on that pc - there are a few steps that will need to be added to the above steps..

To get a GenuineTicket.xml

8. My first clean install with Windows 10

Hello, yes I did do the upgrade and so am running 10 at the moment.

Bluenose1940, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

My first clean install with Windows 10

1. My first clean install with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - clean install

2. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  3. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  4. Windows 11 clean instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  5. Windows 11 clean instal

Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  6. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  7. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  8. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  9. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  10. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...