Windows 10: My first really big annoyance with Win 10

Discus and support My first really big annoyance with Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got an email to download last night to add Cortana to my Acer laptop. So foolishly I did. In the process I was required to create an email account,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by daniel2229, Nov 21, 2015.

1. My first really big annoyance with Win 10

I got an email to download last night to add Cortana to my Acer laptop. So foolishly I did. In the process I was required to create an email account, so I tried. I used the windows.com ending. Along the way the whole thing went awry, so I finally abandoned the process because I couldn't get the process to accept my password. It did however accept my PIN.

Well, today my misery began. When I booted my laptop, I was forced to enter my password. It wouldn't accept it. Another thing that was different was that the email account I tried to setup showed up right under my photo. I tried several times to get on the computer but was rejected. Finally I tried the PIN and was allowed access.

All day I have tried to trash the account. I have looked at practically all the control panels available, but find that many of the normal commands are grayed out. Nice job, Microsoft!

Under account settings it shows my photo, the email account I tried to set up, and administrator, and the words password protected.

I went into one control panel and selected the new account and unchecked the box that says password is required to login to computer, and restarted. Doh! It is still there!

Now I am really ticked! All this because Microsoft lured me into getting stupid Cortana.

I am now at my wits end.

I also tried to use a restore point. Well, guess what? The default was for it to be turned off, so there was no restore point to go to.

Am I always going to have this account and logon?

Thanks,

Daniel

:)

daniel2229, Nov 21, 2015
  2. barra888 Win User

Edge Browser does not allow swipe?

Well... While Win 10 on my Desktop devices is a major improvement over Win 8.1 - Win 10 on my Surface Pro looks first like a big step backward.

I am missing too the really really great "Metro" Browser that was available in Win 8.1 - It really was awesome on my Surface Pro.

In Edge I really miss the Swipe gestures as well as the bookmark line on the bottom.

Bring back at least the SWIPE!!!!

barra888, Nov 21, 2015
  3. Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using high usage gpu?

Indeed, my big annoyance with them is that they take the first spots in a Google search making them the first stop for any first time troubleshooters.

Otherwise their sheer lack of quality is funny.

CharalamposKoundourakis, Nov 21, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

My first really big annoyance with Win 10

Here there. Welcome to Windows Ten Forums.

Sorry, but it seems your biggest annoyance was not reading the instructions or read up on 10 info first. Do you, let's say, buy a car without researching first? There's whole slew of tutorials here and elsewhere.

You may use the index or the search here: Windows 10 Tutorials

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Account Type - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Hope that helps.

Tony K, Nov 21, 2015
  5. Actually I have been using win10 for about four weeks without any hiccups. It was only last night that I got the email to download Cortana. I followed all the instructions, but did not realize that the email I was supposedly signing onto was really something else.

Can you say, bait and switch?

Being a user of windows since 1990, this is the first really bad experience I have ever had. I thought I was getting one thing when I got something entirely else.

Daniel

daniel2229, Nov 21, 2015
  6. Tony K Win User
    OK. Cortana is a feature of 10 powered by Bing, unless you refused the feature to be turned on during install. I've never heard of an email from MS to install Cortana. So it's not legit?

Did you refuse the feature originally ?

Tony K, Nov 21, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    Hard to be sure, but what I think the OP meant was that he set up a new email account to permit him to access Cortana.

bobkn, Nov 21, 2015
  8. mrgeek Win User

I set up another PC for someone and this issue came up. The first time you use this account, it will not accept the password until you've validated your identity. If you've signed in, make sure you're connected to internet. Go to Action Center>Accounts. Under Your email and accounts, you should see the new email as Administrator with a Validate Your Identity box. Follow the prompts and enter a validation code sent to your backup email address that you should have been prompted to add for extra security. Done.

PS; even though we went thru this process, though not turned on by default, System Restore was activated for the initial upgrade from 8.1. Get into Advanced Troubleshooting by hitting F11 continually as soon as the power is turn on and follow the prompts.

mrgeek, Nov 21, 2015
  9. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Nov 21, 2015
  10. bro67 Win User
    No it is not a legit email. Microsoft will send emails as you know, that will inform you of any changes or up coming items. Sounds like the OP got a malware email and infected their machine.

bro67, Nov 21, 2015
  11. Thanks, guys. I am going to try a couple of these solutions today and will let you know the outcome.

This is the first time I was unable to use a restore point. Always my friend before.

Daniel

daniel2229, Nov 21, 2015
  12. Another thought... why did I find the system restore turned off? Before upgrading to win 10, I had used a restore point for a problem my Outlook was happening, so I know I didn't turn it off. Is that some sort of default with 10?

Daniel

daniel2229, Nov 21, 2015
  13. Sven1458 Win User

to me that is another indicator that you got a virus. with restore points tuned of, it deletes all old restore points and there is no way of getting your system back that way. check your system for malware and virus infection.

Sven

Sven1458, Nov 21, 2015
  14. mrgeek Win User
    I have used System Restore several times when I've forgotten to use Acronis Try & Decide to sandbox, far easier than the Reset where you have to re-install programs. I don't recall ever having to enable it either when I went from 8.1 to 10 or after the big Nov upgrade. However, it seems from this article that the default setting is Off though others report otherwise -
    Check if System Restore is enabled on Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News

As I said in my prev post, when I helped a friend with the password not valid problem with a new Win 10 upgrade (used prev 8.1 sign-in acct but not connected to internet) we could only get in after getting to Advanced Troubleshooting and we found System Restore was available and fixed the sign-in problem by validating identity accessing email on a 2nd device. I sued Brink's tutorial here -
    System Restore Point shortcut - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    to easily create a restore point whenever I want and it would be a good way to check that System Restore is On, too.

mrgeek, Nov 21, 2015
  15. sn00ker Win User
    Is your hard drive 128gb or smaller or under the C drive under 128gb ?

sn00ker, Nov 21, 2015
Thema:

1. My first really big annoyance with Win 10 - Similar Threads - really big annoyance

2. One really big desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One really big desktop?: I just got these two beautiful bevel-less 27” monitors. 2560x1440 resolution. I got it in my head that if I turn them both vertical, side by side, I can have one 2880x2560 monitor. However what I want is for both monitors to act as a single desktop. Double click on a title...
  3. really annoying bug

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    really annoying bug: [ATTACH] So I've been using Win10 for about a year now and lately there's been this really annoying bug where on google pages, anywhere I click results in the little insertion line showing up. I can't find any information on this, and I wanna know if there's a fix for it....
  4. Win 10 annoyance.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 annoyance.: My OS: MS Windows 10 ver. 1909 ----------------------------------------------- One of the most annoying things (there are many, too numerous to count... LOL) about W10 occurs only occasionally, but often enough to be extremely annoying & disturbing to me. It happened again,...
  5. Really big problem with scrolling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Really big problem with scrolling: In Windows 10, the right hand bar moving the screen up/down has partially stopped working. I cannot click and hold down the bar for rapidly moving the screen up/down any more. I can use the up/down arrow to move the screen up and down but it's pretty tiresome on a long...
  6. Annoying big volume pop-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Annoying big volume pop-up: Hello, I have been searching for hours and I got so frustrated, this came up out of nowhere, yesterday was all good now when I change the volume this big annoying pop-up shows and it covers my screen and it is just useless. I don't mind the smaller pop-up that shows the...
  7. Really annoying auto compression in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Really annoying auto compression in windows 10: My folders and all files are being auto compressed by windows at the moment. i only had about 15gb of space when this happened suddenly in the middle of work. deleted a bunch of stuff and my space in now around 40gb, i removed some of the blue arrows on by unchecking compres...
  8. My First Win 10 BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My First Win 10 BSOD: Throwing it out here for everyone. A lot of symbols can't be found. Seems to blame my graphics driver and the stack indicates the driver got caught up in some type of loop. A few minutes before that, Facebook was open and a video played, Firefox crashed. I opened up...
  9. Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account.

in Windows 10 Support
    Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account.: Yesterday I've upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit, from my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Then I clean installed it, after the OS was activated. I used a local account and I have never switched to any of my Microsoft's e-mail accounts. The installation went fine. So, right...
  10. Win 10 really?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 really?: Have a Packard Bell laptop with Win 8.1. Recently gave in to the constant reminders to upgrade to Win 10. I am not very computer savvy but followed the idiots guide and presided over the magical upgrade. I am now left with a laptop that opens with the PB logo then turns of/on...