Windows 10: My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only!

Discus and support My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm using DesktopServer to develop local sites on my Win 10 computer. I don't recall this ever happening before but now when I tried to create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by orlando1974, Apr 14, 2016.

1. My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only!

Hi, I'm using DesktopServer to develop local sites on my Win 10 computer. I don't recall this ever happening before but now when I tried to create a website by importing my backup archive, I get this error about not being able to write and update...

My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only! [​IMG]

...which then leads to this, probably because it could not write in the first place:

From my research I found that this should be solved by enabling write permissions on the correct folder...but the problem is that folder keeps putting itself back into Read-Only mode the moment I click OK.

So because it won't stay UNCHECKED, I keep getting the error which prevents me from importing a new web project on my local dev environment.

Hoping someone hear will know how to make the settings STICK.

:)

orlando1974, Apr 14, 2016
  2. KC_787 Win User

Windows 10 and Itunes sync error 54

Hi Azaruddin. Were you able to figure out a way to keep the read only option in the folder unchecked? As I said before, when I reboot the computer windows has rechecked the folder.

KC_787, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Read only keeps enabling itself, even after I've enabled it

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to run the DISM Tool.

If the issue persists, I would have you run the DISM tool to check the system health and will try to restore the files.

1. Right click on the Start button, click on
    Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the
    Enter key after each command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

3. To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

Hope this helps.

Ankit Rajput, Apr 14, 2016
  4. My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only!

Have you tried clicking 'Apply'?

SamTheGr8est, Apr 14, 2016
  5. Yes. Apply. Then OK. This "DesktopServerTemp" folder appears to create itself during the import process (of a website) and then deletes itself once complete. But during that process it creates itself as Read-Only.

6. Barman58 Win User
    The location you show would not be available for non administrators of the system and would also be marked as a hidden/ System folder.

Although you may be able to change the security of that actual folder to allow everyone access the best and easiest/most secure method would be to change the location to somewhere in your user folders, eg Documents, or create a separate data folder somewhere off the root and point to there. eg. c:\websites

Barman58, Apr 14, 2016
  7. 1. I'm set to SHOW these hidden files/folders.
    2. I'm the admin.

This folder location used by DesktopServer as its temp location when importing a site does not appear something I can control.

Do you have any suggestions?

8. Barman58 Win User

My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only!

Until the software design is updated to what has been standard since at least windows 7, the only option you have is to go to that temp folder and right click the folder go to the security tab and either specifically add your user name to have full control of the folder or everyone to have this full control

The appdata folder is designed with the protection it has for security reasons so any changes here will reduce the security of your system to some degree. but it should be ok

Barman58, Apr 14, 2016
  9. I just checked and all are currently set to FULL CONTROL for ...\AppData\Local

Only row with no checkmark is Special Permissions (at the bottom)

??

FWIW, I've also tried this on my laptop with a previous version of the software and got the same error.

10. Barman58 Win User
    Have you tried running the DesktopServer as administrator, (right click on .exe and Run As Administrator), as due to the dual token security system on all Windows since Vista, you are actually running as a standard user by default, and have to salivate to get full Admin privileges

Barman58, Apr 14, 2016
  11. Yes I do. They explicitly tell users to do so, and so I make sure I do.

12. Barman58 Win User
    You are doing everything correctly so it should work *Confused

Is there anyway to retrieve the backup without the DesktopServer program and/or manually load it into DesktopServer?

one thing you could try is to manually elevate the File Explorer (Explorer.exe - run as Admin) and see if that allows you to remove the read only flag

Barman58, Apr 14, 2016
  13. My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only!

how does one elevate the File Explorer?

14. Barman58 Win User
    File Explorer is Explorer.exe, hit the start button, and start typing Explorer, a list of programs will appear, right click on the Explorer one and choose run as administrator. If you think you'll need it often you can make a shortcut to Explorer.exe set to always run as administrator *Smile

Barman58, Apr 15, 2016
  15. Thanks Nigel - I have not implemented your latest suggestion yet because I noticed that despite the errors thrown the website imported properly. I am also experimenting with importing a different website to see if the same thing happens. From one experiment, I see that these errors were NOT reproduced when importing a different website... however, a different issue came up with that one. When I click the website link in the Sites page generated by DesktopServer, it opens this one with an extra www prefix in the URL. So I can't view or login to the site because it keeps redirecting to the URL that contains "www.www...."

Do you have any thoughts on what would be causing this, or how to fix it? You seem to know a bit about this kind of stuff...

orlando1974, Apr 15, 2016
Thema:

My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only!

1. My folder keeps Rechecking itself as Read-Only! - Similar Threads - folder keeps Rechecking

2. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  3. Files & Folders keep rewriting to Read-Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files & Folders keep rewriting to Read-Only: Hi, so I don't know how common a problem this is, but when I want to uncheck read-only from some folder, on both of my discs SSD and HDD, after I apply changes, folders, and files instantly revert to read-only.Solutions I tried:1. Giving current user all permissions over...
  4. Files & Folders keep rewriting to Read-Only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files & Folders keep rewriting to Read-Only: Hi, so I don't know how common a problem this is, but when I want to uncheck read-only from some folder, on both of my discs SSD and HDD, after I apply changes, folders, and files instantly revert to read-only.Solutions I tried:1. Giving current user all permissions over...
  5. Folder attributes keep reverting to read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder attributes keep reverting to read only: The title says it all - I installed an old game, and when I tried to save a game, I found that I couldn't. I checked the folder settings, and they said read only. I tried to uncheck it, but it keeps reverting. The option to only make the change to the folder itself is...
  6. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  7. My folders keep reverting to read only

My folders keep reverting to read only: Every time i uncheck read only it just goes back to read only after a few mins this means i cant play any games on steam as it keeps telling me the folder is read only please help...
  8. Folders keep reverting to read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Folders keep reverting to read-only: Hi all, Not sure if this is the place to get help, but couldn't think where else to go. As the title says, every time I change a folder's settings to read-write, it reverts to read-only. My account is an admin account and I've changed all my disks to read write with the...
  9. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  10. Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only

Music folder keeps reverting to Read-only: My Music folder and the files within keep reverting to Read-only. I'm the owner (and administrator) of the file so that shouldn't be the issue. When I uncheck Read-only and Apply it nearly finishes but then gives me the message: Error Applying Attributes An error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. read only keeps re checking itself

2. read only keeps recheck