Windows 10: My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do?

Discus and support My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello!!I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. The computer originally came loaded with Windows 8 and later 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and after that to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yamil, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Yamil Win User

My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do?

Hello!!I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. The computer originally came loaded with Windows 8 and later 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and after that to the Anniversary Edition. Recently upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update and my hard disk right now has 12 partitions!! *Eek yes, 12 partitions!! .... I need you guys help me to figure it out what to do to get rid of this mess. I´m afraid to delete something that could cause more problems than solutions. My partitions structure is UEFI/GPT. There is only two partitions that I created (as you can see in the screenshots):

1. Partition C: OS and software.
    2. Partition D, named Warehouse: data, videos, music, photos ..... (in case of a clean install, I would like to keep this partition, if possible!! ) *Smile

The other 10 partitions have been created as a results of the many upgrades, and since the computer is working fine I haven´t paid much attention till now. Of course, the computer boots slowly and the same happen when restarted or shutdown. After the OS boot ,everything works fine but still I would like to get rid of so many partitions. I´m considering a clean install but I´m not sure which partitions can I safely delete. Here are the screenshots:

My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do? [​IMG]

What can I do guys?? I want to go with a clean install, which partitions can I delete?? which partitions should I keep? can I keep my D partition with a clean install??

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks so much in advance!!!

:)

Yamil, Apr 2, 2017

2. My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do?

Hi,

This issue is more complex than what is typically answered here in Microsoft Answers forums. It is better suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. Kindly click on this

link
    to access the TechNet forums.

Let us know whenever you need assistance.

Nathaniel Mon, Apr 2, 2017
  3. My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do?

Hello!!

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. The computer originally came loaded with Windows 8 and later 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and after that to the Anniversary Edition. Recently upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update and my hard disk right now has 12 partitions!!
    yes, 12 partitions!! .... I need you guys help me to figure it out what to do to get rid of this mess. I´m afraid to delete something that could cause more problems than solutions. My partitions structure is UEFI/GPT. There is only two partitions that I created
    (as you can see in the screenshots):

1. Partition C: OS and software.

2. Partition D, named Warehouse: data, videos, music, photos ..... (in case of a clean install, I would like to keep this partition, if possible!! )

The other 10 partitions have been created as a results of the many upgrades, and since the computer is working fine I haven´t paid much attention till now. Of course, the computer boots slowly and the same happen when restarted or shutdown. After the OS boot
    ,everything works fine but still I would like to get rid of so many partitions. I´m considering a clean install but I´m not sure which partitions can I safely delete. I posted two screenshots to help clarify my situation.

What can I do guys?? I want to go with a clean install, which partitions can I delete?? which partitions should I keep? can I keep my D partition with a clean install??

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks so much in advance!!!

YamilCarabes, Apr 2, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

For a clean install you can remove them all and let windows create what it needs other than that all you need is c efi and wharehouse if you remove others you would have to shift paritions around a lot to use the free space

Samuria, Apr 2, 2017
  5. Yamil Win User
    Thanks Samuria for the quick reply. Just to clarify, you said that, in order to do a clean install, I have to remove all partitions including D(Warehouse)??

I don't understand the last part where you said that If I remove others I will have to shift partitions around a lot to use the free space, can u explain please?

Thanks

Yamil, Apr 2, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I recommend you use MiniTool Partition Wizard. It is a great and reliable program:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

If you are going to do a clean install, realize that you have to be able to boot from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD, so make sure you can do that. Then, if it were I, I would delete the last two partitions - the 350 MB and 12.47 GB partitions. Then extend D: drive partition to fill the empty space left by deleting them, so your D: drive partition will then be at the very end of the drive and will be about 725 GB in size.

Boot from the Windows installation USB or DVD. Select the custom install option. On the next screen after that choice delete every partition but the D: drive partition. You should have 1 big unallocated space followed by the D: drive partition. Click on the unallocated space and then next to let Windows set up the rest of the drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2017
  7. Yamil Win User
    Thanks a lot NavyLCDR, your answer is what I've been looking for. I really like to keep D since I have all my stuffs there, more than 100GB of music!! .... Yes I do have the bootable USB for the installation, used Rufus an created an UEFI bootable USB.

I know MiniTool Partition, so u recommend to delete the last 2 partitions with MiniTool Partition?? And extend D using the same software??

Yamil, Apr 2, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Yep.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2017
  9. Yamil Win User
    Thanks a lot, I will do that and I'll post my results!!

Yamil, Apr 2, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Double-posting same subject not nice, prohibited on most forums.

Berton, Apr 2, 2017
  11. RolandJS Win User
    I hope you have created recent reliable full image backups onto external media of your Data partition! G correct?

RolandJS, Apr 2, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    For clarity, there are only two (optionally three) partitions that are essential here

EFI partition, C drive Partition (and optionally D drive partition assuming it has data you want to keep).

All the recovery partitions can be deleted if you like, and then the three above moved using minitool partition wizard free.

If you delete them all though, you will not be able to use "reset my pc" which is no big deal really as you can use a usb installation drive to do same thing anyway.

If you want to use "reset my PC", you have to ascertain which is the currently active recovery partition.

cereberus, Apr 2, 2017
  13. Yamil Win User

Hello Guys!!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and ideas, specially to NavyLCDR. I did what NavyLCDR suggested, deleted the last 2 partitions, extended my D partition and booted from a USB. During the installation I choosed custom and deleted each partition except D, and then installed in the new unallocated space. After that the installation went well and Windows 10 created the partitions. My hard drive now looks better!! *Wink

Hope this help to anyone having the same problem. To Berton, sorry for double-posting, I first posted on Drivers and Hardware and then I realize the other forum called Installation and Upgrade which was better related to my issue and I forgot to delete the first one.

Thanks to everyone!!

Yamil, Apr 3, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    This looks good - good advice from NavyLCDR as usual.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2017
  15. swarfega Win User
    Another vote for MiniTool here, had to use it myself today.

swarfega, Apr 3, 2017
Thema:

1. My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do? - Similar Threads - hard disk has

2. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Disk Partition: is this fine if i part and keep hard disk in this way? or, do i need to merge the two parts of F? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/d3178c7a-6b68-4ed7-ba97-2e3ff2d5d69b
  3. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Disk Partition: is this fine if i part and keep hard disk in this way? or, do i need to merge the two parts of F? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/d3178c7a-6b68-4ed7-ba97-2e3ff2d5d69b
  4. After a forced update my computer has extreme lag, what can I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After a forced update my computer has extreme lag, what can I do?: My laptop updated something while I was restarting my laptop, and because of that the size of my lay out was somehow changed, but especially my performance is extremely decreased. Even tiny games are completely unplayable now. About 2 hours ago I could run games such as GTA 5...
  5. Hard Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Partition: I had made a partition before reinstalling windows 10 Pro. After installation I wanted to partition my C Drive Windows which I did, but I got 500 gb space without losing any space in C drive, how did that happen....
  6. What can I do with these partitions, I`m getting low disk space...

What can I do with these partitions, I`m getting low disk space...: Hi, I keep getting a low disk space warning on the system reserved D drive. This laptop was originally a family member. I`d like to have a partition for just the OS/programs and then another for downloads, what`s the best way to go about this? I`ll post a screen shot of my...
  7. What can I do with these partitions, I`m getting low disk space...

in Windows 10 Support
    What can I do with these partitions, I`m getting low disk space...: Hi, I keep getting a low disk space warning on the system reserved D drive. This laptop was originally a family member. I`d like to have a partition for just the OS/programs and then another for downloads, what`s the best way to go about this? I`ll post a screen shot of my...
  8. hard disk partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk partition: please someone tell me solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-partition/908a861d-47ff-4723-aa69-f40e64023410"
  9. I can't partition my hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't partition my hard disk: Hi everyone, I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9570 and I'm trying to partition my C: drive but I'm facing an issue with storage. Even though I have more than 90GB free, every time I try to partition the disk I'm given only 2GB to work with. I've cleared up temporary files and...
  10. My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do?

My hard disk has 12 partitions after windows update, what can I do?: Hello!! I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. The computer originally came loaded with Windows 8 and later 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and after that to the Anniversary Edition. Recently upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update and my hard disk right now has 12 partitions!!...