Windows 10: My internet keeps dropping out!

Discus and support My internet keeps dropping out! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This laptop has been nothing but trouble for me! I'm actually using a wireless keyboard because the built in one doesn't work. I have replaced it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jayv2251, Aug 12, 2016.

1. jayv2251 Win User

My internet keeps dropping out!

This laptop has been nothing but trouble for me! I'm actually using a wireless keyboard because the built in one doesn't work. I have replaced it twice, and the one in it is brand new! I don't eat or drink near my laptop and I use care when cleaning dust and stuff out of it as well. You would think a 3 year old laptop would have at least dual band ability, but this one does not. Doesn't have Bluetooth either. Oh well, I get working again, it'll be fine for my daughter. Have the keyboard fixed by then as well. Get my self a nice Alienware one or something like that! LOL!!!

I know this guy goes active at night. Almost like clockwork from around 7pm until about 1am. Then on weekends it's usually later like after midnight. So I'm thinking a young working guy (the ssid has a male gender name) Comes home from work, goes online for several hours M-F. Goes out on Friday and Saturday night, comes home checks his emails then crashes. (I was only bumped a few times for about half Sunday night).

jayv2251, Aug 15, 2016
  2. Kbird Win User

Probably gaming or doing Bit-torrent/P2P , though not sure why he'd need his Wifi Blasting away ???

You'll have to keep watch from the front porch , till you see him come home and go online , then leave a note on his windshield *Smile *Smile *Smile

Good luck.

Kbird, Aug 15, 2016
  3. bro67 Win User
    To the OP. If you are using Kodi to watch stuff through say Exodus, there is going to be problems, especially with a VPN if you are using one. It has nothing to do with the network, just crappy programming by those who created Kodi. If the pervious b/g router was working just fine with no large amount of packet drops, it would continue to work fine for your daughter to do her online homeschool lessons on. Regardless if you are on 2.4 or 5 ghz, it uses the same Internet connection. 5 ghz has a smaller footprint in how far you can be from the Gateway, along with it can end up dropping because of outside interference in that channel bandwidth that the radio operates on. 2.4 ghz is a larger foot print in that it is more interference forgiving if setup on a channel that is not congested in your area on the Gateway.

All of the drops can be caused by various problems, but not always by the computers, can be caused by software or line interference from a Ham radio operator close by, radio station close by, tv tower, high voltage power lines, improperly grounded incoming communication lines, etc..

bro67, Aug 16, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

I barely touch the top of my bandwidth even if I wam watching stuff on Kodi in Exodus and my son is streaming through his Apple TV and the wife is watching tv on U-Verse. Bit Torrent and its multiple connections, is the best way to kill a network if you want every computer on the planet trying to send or receive something that you are sharing from your network.

bro67, Aug 16, 2016
  5. jayv2251 Win User
    CRAP! Wrote out a nice reply, dam connection dropped again....and that network is active! UGH! Can't wait until my new nic gets here on Friday, move to 5ghz!!! Any other suggestions on how to "fix" 2.4ghz. Either booth the signal or make it more stable on the laptop's end?

jayv2251, Aug 17, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    That would be a adapter problem not a gateway/access point problem. I use a Engenius ECB350 for my Wireless-N connection. It is enough bandwidth for using, with no drops. I can go 125' away and even though my speed may be 7.25mbps, I still have a stable connection.

bro67, Aug 17, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    the new nic should answer the question about whether the existing one is just flakey or not .....

Maybe your UIL just runs the Microwave upstairs when he knows you are online *Smile

Kbird, Aug 17, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Ugh, you would mention the M word. Mine drops because our Microwave is getting older and the Magnetron is starting to wreck havoc on our wireless. It only lasts as long for the time that the Magnetron kicks in and then back off at the end of the cycle, which allows wifi to work.

bro67, Aug 17, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Ohhh I know it happens , screws up my Cell too sometimes if I am too close....

If the UIL has a 13yr old Router its likely he still has the Original Microwave from 1980 too.... it still works !
    *Smile

Kbird, Aug 17, 2016
  10. jayv2251 Win User
    I'd like to know.... Someone suggested I take out a key in registry and then reset the network configuration then.... Would that help?

jayv2251, Aug 17, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    There is no key in the registry to reset the network. If it is only your computer that is having issues, try a different network adapter. There is network hardware from 20 years ago that still works like a charm today.

bro67, Aug 17, 2016
  12. jayv2251 Win User
    I think I may have used the wrong term, I didn't mean network, I meant network card settings being reset via the registry. Someone on a FB page mentioned it, so I took some notes about it, just never got around to implementing it as my dual band nic came in the mail last week! Wooohoo!!! Hardly get bumped at all now. About the only thing I might be tempted to do at this time is change the setting on my 5ghz ssid to N only (none of my stuff can receive AC as of right now), leave the 2.4ghz sside at G/N for the PS3's sake until family and I move and we can hard wire it...(or I buy a ps4...<evil laugh!>) Sooooo as of now I'm gonna say this issue has been resolved folks! Thanks for the tips!!!

jayv2251, Aug 28, 2016
  13. Onum Win User

Hi I'm not sure if you've resolved your laptop connectivity issues yet but reading the thread reminded of a similar issue I had with a windows tablet - also a 2.4GHz only adapter.

It seems that some wireless nic's are a bit fussy (read flakey) wrt some router settings. As you have a TP-Link router (as do I) it might be worth looking at the following options "Wireless>Settings" - I'm assuming the GUI is the same(ish).

Channel: Auto
    Channel width: Automatic (setting 40MHz for example tanked the performance to dial-up levels)

And under "Wireless advanced"

Beacon Interval: 100 (this is the default, going higher caused connectivity issues for me, you might want to try lower to see if it helps)

14. Kbird Win User
    He didnt report back here Onum, but I saw on another thread he got a new wireless Dongle with AC and it is working much better.

Funny my TP link C7 needs 40mhz to get speeds over 150mb ...upto 300mb then on 2.4ghz.

I have never played with the beacon interval but i know on mine it is at 50.

Kbird, Sep 1, 2016
  15. jayv2251 Win User
    Yeah, I'm juggling several issues at once, with job hunting, homeschooling, health issues all at once. I seem to have asked the same question in different formats in different forums out of sheer frustration giving me something else to clean up now! <sigh> Yes, I did bump the 2.4ghz ssid to 40mhz wide. Still had issues with a neighboring network. This all ended once my new dongle arrived and I was able to go dual band p to 5ghz. (The router isn't capable of AC, but does do 5ghz N). Honestly, if it wasn't for the PS3's need to use the G spec, I'd change both ssid's to N spec exclusively since everything else is capable of that spec.

jayv2251, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. My internet keeps dropping out! - Similar Threads - internet keeps dropping

2. Internet Keeps Dropping Out, Citing DNS Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Keeps Dropping Out, Citing DNS Problems: Hi guys,My internet keeps dropping out say every 20 minutes or so, citing DNS problems. Not sure why. If I change wifi, then change back, or unplug my USB adapter and plug it back in, it works again. Anyone know why?...
  3. Internet Keeps Dropping Out, Citing DNS Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Keeps Dropping Out, Citing DNS Problems: Hi guys,My internet keeps dropping out say every 20 minutes or so, citing DNS problems. Not sure why. If I change wifi, then change back, or unplug my USB adapter and plug it back in, it works again. Anyone know why?...
  4. Internet drop outs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet drop outs: For about 3 weeks Internet has repeatedly dropped out. Pages won't load time out or load abnormally slowly Get messages like " the System encountered a problem" or " The site can't be reached" or "Your connection was interrupted" Checked Event Viewer found repeated ERROR...
  5. Internet keeps dropping

Internet keeps dropping: My internet connection keeps going off and on line. I have restarted my computer and reset the router, troubleshoot the connection and it comes back with no problems. Still getting dropped connections...
  6. Internet keeps dropping

Internet keeps dropping: Hi everyone, I have been trying to solve this issue for ages and have tried everything I could find online, including many posts on these forums. My wifi connection keeps dropping out. Sometimes it's clearly a broken connection to the router i.e. the icon turns to no...
  7. Internet keeps dropping out Windows 10

Internet keeps dropping out Windows 10: Internet keeps dropping out Windows 10___so very frustrating__ can someone help me please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-keeps-dropping-out-windows-10/1256cb4e-e587-4f9e-8486-a274bf6ec7ef
  8. Internet Dropping out

Internet Dropping out: My windows 10 desk top is connected to my router via cable NOT WI_FI. Windows regularly disconnects briefly telling me that there is no internet. This is not true because other devices on the same network continue to function. Is this a known issue?...
  9. Internet connection keeps dropping out

Internet connection keeps dropping out: With out warning connection is lost cause the default Gateway is not available according to the checker. Still trying to sort that out and machine keeps crashing and freezing Any help would be grateful...
  10. Internet Keeps Dropping Out

Internet Keeps Dropping Out: I recently got a new PC and realized that there is a problem with the internet. I have an ethernet cable plugged in but every few minutes or so, my internet will drop for a second or 2 and come right back on. This is the same ethernet cable and everything I have been using on...