Windows 10: my laptop is hot!!! cpu mining???

Discus and support my laptop is hot!!! cpu mining??? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; ok so i installed windows 10 on one of my laptops, haven’t really used it until tonight. i was watching a movie on a popular movie streaming site and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cosmos666, Jun 8, 2016.

1. cosmos666 Win User

my laptop is hot!!! cpu mining???

ok so i installed windows 10 on one of my laptops, haven’t really used it until tonight. i was watching a movie on a popular movie streaming site and it started getting hot, the fan was running like crazy. so i deiced to open task viewer (or what ever its called) and keep track of some stats sure enough like 70% -- 100% cpu usage. Its like 1.6ghz and 4gbs of ram so not to out of date although it is a old laptop i think i got it in 2006. seams like a lot for just watching a movie in sd. Could i be a victim of cpu mining how do i tell?? thanks in advance*Biggrin

:)

cosmos666, Jun 8, 2016

2. Discharge rate of laptop battery VERY high at idle.

You don't understand, my battery's discharge rate was going at 33-37W. A fan being on simply can't do that. Also, the fan was shoving VERY hot air out, even the laptop became hotter than normal. The fan cools my CPU and I know where my CPU is in this laptop,
    and when I feel under that area it's VERY hot. I know that the fan is on because the CPU is getting too hot, even when at idle. This isn't a battery issue, this isn't a fan issue, it's something that's making the CPU hot or the CPU is becoming hot for some
    reason. There is no short circuit or anything because new installs of Windows fix the problem, something keeps on happenning and I have yet to find out what that is.

Peter Njeim, Jun 8, 2016
  3. Discharge rate of laptop battery VERY high at idle.

I just restarted my computer and everything seems fine. I didn't even go to a separate partition like last time. I am completely stumped by what the problem may be. If the fans are going full blast, it means the temperature of the CPU is very hot. I feel
    the air coming out as very hot when my battery life problem is happening and the bottom of my laptop where my CPU is, is also very hot. I don't know why my CPU would be hot for ever if it's at 5% usage, because the fans stay on forever when I have the problem.
    I used to think that it might be reading the temperatures wrong, but since the air is truly hot, it might be AMD's problem.

Anyways, I'm probably going to buy a laptop with an AMD Ryzen APU since AMD Ryzen desktop CPU's demolish intel's CPU's for a lower price, I believe the Raven Ridge CPU lineup will do the same for the laptop space, I'll wait for reviews of course.

Peter Njeim, Jun 8, 2016
  4. linw Win User

I think if I was into cpu mining I'd pick a better cpu than yours!

My best guess is that win 10 is doing other things as well as playing the movie. It could, for example, be indexing files. Does Task Manager show high disk usage?

I would let it run for a while till it 'settles itself down'.

linw, Jun 8, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Add a usb connected external cooling assembly below the laptop; my two Acers run less hot because of those devices.

RolandJS, Jun 9, 2016
  6. What cpu are you running? I would have thought that if its 2006, it would have been creaking at the seems and running hot as a matter of course.

Anyhoo, out of interest, to test for cpu mining - a virus /pup- try this:
    How to Detect Bitcoin Malware on your PC - Ophtek

and as good practice download the free version of malwarebytes

Barneyrubble, Jun 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Please post a screenshot (use the icon to the left of the video icon above) of your task manager (e.g. CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) organised so the items using most resources are at the top of the column. You can organise a column by clicking the tab at the top.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. my laptop is hot!!! cpu mining??? - Similar Threads - laptop hot cpu

2. My CPU is running hot but my GPU is not, what's going on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My CPU is running hot but my GPU is not, what's going on.: My computer is the AUSU ROG Zeyphyrus M16 gaming laptop and the CPU seems to be running hot even after doing some cleaning and self diagnostics. I've even gotten new thermal paste applied as it did needed it. I checked to see if all my drivers are up to date and it is.My GPU...
  3. Cpu hot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu hot: Hey,I have msi g65 thin 10UE and today I opened it and was trying to install something and I did but after I installed it my cpu became too hot without doing any tasks and the fans are running like crazy. I thought it was a virus so I did a virus and malware scans using...
  4. Cpu hot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cpu hot: Hey,I have msi g65 thin 10UE and today I opened it and was trying to install something and I did but after I installed it my cpu became too hot without doing any tasks and the fans are running like crazy. I thought it was a virus so I did a virus and malware scans using...
  5. Very hot laptop and strange CPU behavior

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very hot laptop and strange CPU behavior: Hello, I have an asus laptop that uses the Intel Core i7 4750HQ CPU never had any problems. -I recently had a problem with the HD and decided to install a new SSD with a new Windows installation and install the old HDD simultaneously using a caddy. -A few days later I...
  6. How hot should my CPU be running?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How hot should my CPU be running?: So my new laptop's fans are coming on every now and then which I guess is normal... but is it? So for example I'm watching Netflix on the Windows 10 app... fans come on... They're on right now, and this window is the only one I have open Edge, just this one tab I...
  7. Is my CPU running too hot?

Is my CPU running too hot?: I have an Intel NUC. Recently, shortly after I started watching video in Firefox, the computer shut down suddenly. I suspected that it was thermal overload, so the next time I started my computer I looked at the CPU temps using Open Hardware Monitor. They range from 60C to...
  8. Hot laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hot laptop: what should I be concerned about if the bottom of laptop is unusually hot? Do I need a new battery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hot-laptop/c5bef7e6-3f3a-476f-a0b6-e9bd979de3b4
  9. Is My CPU To Hot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is My CPU To Hot?: specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz Mainboard Model: ASUS P8H67-M PRO BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. version 1104 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 17134) I just recently bought my nephews desktop computer (see above...
  10. CPU Running Extremely Hot

CPU Running Extremely Hot: Hi all, this is my first post to the forum. With Windows 10 showing up on more computers every day, I decided to take the leap and upgrade my operating system. I figured that I would need to know it in order to service my client's computers - however, doing so has provided me...